kayak info

  • bagpiperkelly
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2003
      Hello all,
      I am thinking about building a double kayak. I never built a kayak
      yet and was wondering if anyone has built a Stich and Glue and a
      Strip built Kayak. I would like to know which would be the easiest
      to try for my first. Also if any one can tell me what would be a
      good kayak to build (best instructions or best kit and instructions)
      would be a great help.

      Thanks for all your help,
      Kelly
    • ofmik
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2003
        I found the stitch & glue boats fast and easier to build than the strippers; while the cedar strip boats require more labour, the results are more striking and satisfying to admire and paddle. Both materials and methods produce light, strong composite boats that will take the rigors of heavy use and still look great.
        Try Waters Dancing of Edmonton; I have built one of their boats, the Lightning 14 for my son. The kit was well provisioned while the step by step instruction is the most complete and easiest to follow of the others that I've built..
        You might want to look up San Javier Kayaks or Pygmy Kayaks. They both offer some nice designs that worked out very well for me.
        bagpiperkelly <khogan16@...> wrote: Hello all,
        I am thinking about building a double kayak. I never built a kayak
        yet and was wondering if anyone has built a Stich and Glue and a
        Strip built Kayak. I would like to know which would be the easiest
        to try for my first. Also if any one can tell me what would be a
        good kayak to build (best instructions or best kit and instructions)
        would be a great help.

        Thanks for all your help,
        Kelly

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT