Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] Newbie question about outer stem

  • pls1911
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2003
      In part of John's note, he stated
      ".... second method is to strip past the inner stem and
      bring the strips together at some point past the stem.
      See his example on Fig 2-4. This method appears to
      leave a gap between the inner stem and the point where
      the strips converge. It also leaves a wedge shaped
      gap between the inside of the strips and the inner
      stem. This gap is filled with epoxy when you glass
      the inside of the boat. The outer stem is epoxed to
      the strips where they converge and can be a narrower
      stem."
      I use this method on kayaks, cutting the cedar strips and sanding to
      about 1/4" to 3/8" on the ends. At that point, I take 1/2" strip(s)
      of 1/8" bendable birch plywood to cover any gaps in the end and build
      sufficient thickness to sand to the desired fine-ness of the entry at
      the water line. I use epoxy thickend with dust from MDX Dado to make
      a dark adhesive. The result is an attractive light color "splined"
      appearance.

      Take care to stagger the ends if you use more than a single strip in
      order to maintain the design contour of you bow and stern below the
      waterline.

      Paul
    • Jon
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9, 2003
        This is an interesting method. Thanks for sharing.
        Just one question though.

        You mentined that one should "Take care to stagger the
        ends if you use more than a single strip in order to
        maintain the design contour of you bow and stern below
        the waterline." Can you clarify this? I am assuming
        you mean that as you attach the 1/8 inch strips that
        each strip is a bit shorter than the previous one so
        that the stem fairs towards the keel?

        Thanks, Jon

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com