5245Re: [Cedar Strip Canoes] Nor Cal members

  • Charles Scott
    Nov 6, 2013
      There are numerous videos on Youtube and elsewhere, like at websites of companies that offer plans and supplies that are instructive to view.  My experience does not make me an expert by any means, I've only built two stripper canoes.  But when applying resting to the fiberglass for the first coat, you definitely could see when the fiberglass was properly saturated because it disappeared.  I did not see any opacity at all.  I could see the weave, but it was totally clear.  When I was finally done with all the coats and the sanding and varnish, the exterior of the hull was very smooth and appeared to be merely varnish on smooth sanded cedar.

      Is that the type of finish you desire?

      Corky Scott

      Sent from my iPad

      On Nov 6, 2013, at 3:00 PM, Digger <digger2601@...> wrote:

      Corky,

      Thanks for responding. What I failed to communicate is that I see the weave after completing epoxy and varnish. In other words, after the canoe was complete, I see the weave. Most people don't notice and only comment on how good the canoe looks. I'm just looking for advice on the next build.

      The solution seems to be to not wipe off as much epoxy after the first coat. Any other thoughts?

      thanks again

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic