      From: cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com [mailto:cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of naicrafts@...
      Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2013 12:45 PM
      To: cedarstripcanoes@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Cedar Strip Canoes] setting up shop how much would you spend

      With the recent topic of setting up a shop for building canoes and my own plans to build a work shop next spring I was wondering just how much its worth and how to justify the expense.

      I've gone through several building designs and decided on a 24'x24' footprint with an 8'x8 extension on one side. This gives me a 32' wall for ripping and milling and room to setup 2 strong backs.

      My costs estimates are about $5K to $6K (I already have a 12'x24' deck built). This is assuming I do all the work but digging the holes for concrete posts.

      Not included in the estimate is money for some dust collection, insulation and cabinets/benches. These will be added from selling some of the canoes I've already built.

      My justification for building a shop is to allow year round work, being able to work on multiple canoes and of course generate some cash to supplement my retirement.

      I figure I can build and sell 3 canoes ! a year which would give me a 3 year payback period.

      My thoughts and I like to hear what you think

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic