When Tech Giants Tinker with Marriage

  • manny
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2008
      When Tech Giants Tinker with Marriage
      http://phnix.wordpress.com/2008/11/05/when-tech-giants-tinker-with-marriage/
      By Maddog
      November 5, 2008

      I was sorely disappointed when I learned that Google and Apple -- arguably
      two of the most innovative and powerful technology companies in the U.S.
      -- decided that they should try to influence voters going to the polls on
      November 4.

      No, I am not talking about the Presidential elections (although that too
      was on November 4). I am talking about the sizable contributions of these
      companies to the campaign against a proposed amendment to the California
      Constitution to protect marriage, also known as Proposition 8.

      Google’s official stand is here: Our position on California’s No on 8
      campaign. Apple, for its part, was widely reported to have made a large
      donation to the campaign against Proposition. Here’s the Technology
      Chronicles story on that: Apple donates $100,000 to fight Prop. 8.

      Proposition 8 is an amendment to the State Constitution of California to
      define marriage as a union between a man and a woman. It is a reaction to
      an activist California Supreme Court ruling that effectively legalized
      same-sex marriage in that state. This occurred despite a previous
      California law (known as Proposition 22) that defined marriage as between
      a man and a woman, and which was overwhelmingly passed by California
      voters. Since Proposition 22 was declared unconstitutional by a 4-3
      decision of the high court last May 15, supporters of traditional marriage
      in California have now offered the Proposition 8 amendment to the
      California State Constitution, which will effectively overturn the
      activist court decision

      Read the entire post at:
      http://phnix.wordpress.com/2008/11/05/when-tech-giants-tinker-with-marriage/

      --
      Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to
      do what we ought. -- Pope John Paul II

      Online Petition Against HB 5043 (Lagman anti-life Bill)
      http://www.petitiononline.com/xxhb5043/petition.html

      PHNix TechNet (tech blog): http://www.phnix.net
      PHNix Network Advocate (advocacy blog): http://mamador.wordpress.com
      Personal website: http://mannyamador.multiply.com