CTS and LTSP

  • Clint Christopher Canada
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
      Peace!

      Hi guys, just went to a visit at the Cebu Technical School, my friend
      and former co-worker MIS Administrator Larry Zafico told me to come by
      and visit. And really, they've got a good setup going there!

      I recently got contacted by Larry out of nowhere (haven't seen him in
      years) to be one of the judges for the 2006 Cebu Web Awards Multimedia
      Category (during the Intourpreneur fair in Waterfront), and in our
      talk he mentioned that 2/3s of their computers (30 out of 50 machines)
      in their computer labs are powered by LTSP.

      I decided to take a look (I've got most of the free time in the world
      these days ;) ) and was quite impressed by their setup.

      2 LTSP servers power 30 thin clients (the 20 computers are on dual
      boot, but can connect to the ltsp servers as well). The host server
      runs Mandriva 2006.

      Later in the year they are implementing the whole faculty to be on
      thin clients.

      They'll also be buying a faster server to replace the two LTSP
      servers. Nice thing about it is that when they teach programs in DOS
      and other stuff, they run it in DOSBox, and have no problems with
      students erasing the system.

      Also, they're running Autocad in Crossover. Like I've said, they've
      got a good thing going for them, and they were forced to do that to
      save on costs. Initially, some faculty demanded windows, but since
      Larry had more or less the last say in it, linux prevailed.

      I also talked with one student, she said Linux was definitely more
      interesting than with windows. Now, that statement alone says a lot
      about the accessibility of open source.

      If you guys want to meet him and talk with him, just give me a call.
      Anyways, I think another cegnulug meeting is long overdue now, right? :)

      God bless!

      Clint
    • Jeffrey Philip Tan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
        fieldtrip!!! =D

        On 7/4/06, Clint Christopher Canada <clintcan@...> wrote:

[...]

      • jann michael hiolen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
          hey clint,

          that was cool..could we visit their..hehehehe

          lovingly yours,
          janskey

[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Clint Christopher Canada
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
            Peace!

            Well, if you guys want, I can ask Larry and we can go there together.
            Usually Saturday mornings are lean times for them. Hmm... I'm
            wondering where is John Clark?

            God bless!

            Clint

            --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, jann michael hiolen
            <janskey_boy@...> wrote:

            > hey clint,
            >
            > that was cool..could we visit their..hehehehe
            >

            > lovingly yours,
            > janskey
            >
            > Clint Christopher Canada <clintcan@...> wrote:
            Peace!

            > Hi guys, just went to a visit at the Cebu Technical School, my friend
            > and former co-worker MIS Administrator Larry Zafico told me to come by
            > and visit. And really, they've got a good setup going there!
            >
            > I recently got contacted by Larry out of nowhere (haven't seen him in
            > years) to be one of the judges for the 2006 Cebu Web Awards Multimedia
            > Category (during the Intourpreneur fair in Waterfront), and in our
            > talk he mentioned that 2/3s of their computers (30 out of 50 machines)
            > in their computer labs are powered by LTSP.
            >
            > I decided to take a look (I've got most of the free time in the world
            > these days ;) ) and was quite impressed by their setup.
            >
            > 2 LTSP servers power 30 thin clients (the 20 computers are on dual
            > boot, but can connect to the ltsp servers as well). The host server
            > runs Mandriva 2006.
            >
            > Later in the year they are implementing the whole faculty to be on
            > thin clients.
            >
            > They'll also be buying a faster server to replace the two LTSP
            > servers. Nice thing about it is that when they teach programs in DOS
            > and other stuff, they run it in DOSBox, and have no problems with
            > students erasing the system.
            >
            > Also, they're running Autocad in Crossover. Like I've said, they've
            > got a good thing going for them, and they were forced to do that to
            > save on costs. Initially, some faculty demanded windows, but since
            > Larry had more or less the last say in it, linux prevailed.
            >
            > I also talked with one student, she said Linux was definitely more
            > interesting than with windows. Now, that statement alone says a lot
            > about the accessibility of open source.
            >
            > If you guys want to meet him and talk with him, just give me a call.
            > Anyways, I think another cegnulug meeting is long overdue now,
            right? :)

            > God bless!
            >
            > Clint

          • john naldoza
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
              I'm still around :)  Just been very busy with some work-related issues.

              I'm game to meet up Larry and check out the labs :)  Saturday mornings are fine with me (I'll just be at home over-eating :D)

              Cheers,

              John Clark

              <janskey_boy@...> wrote:

              > hey clint,
              >
              > that was cool..could we visit their..hehehehe
              >

              > lovingly yours,
              > janskey
              >
              > Clint Christopher Canada <clintcan@...> wrote:
              Peace!

              > Hi guys, just went to a visit at the Cebu Technical School, my friend
              > and former co-worker MIS Administrator Larry Zafico told me to come by
              > and visit. And really, they've got a good setup going there!
              >
              > I recently got contacted by Larry out of nowhere (haven't seen him in
              > years) to be one of the judges for the 2006 Cebu Web Awards Multimedia
              > Category (during the Intourpreneur fair in Waterfront), and in our
              > talk he mentioned that 2/3s of their computers (30 out of 50 machines)
              > in their computer labs are powered by LTSP.
              >
              > I decided to take a look (I've got most of the free time in the world
              > these days ;) ) and was quite impressed by their setup.
              >
              > 2 LTSP servers power 30 thin clients (the 20 computers are on dual
              > boot, but can connect to the ltsp servers as well). The host server
              > runs Mandriva 2006.
              >
              > Later in the year they are implementing the whole faculty to be on
              > thin clients.
              >
              > They'll also be buying a faster server to replace the two LTSP
              > servers. Nice thing about it is that when they teach programs in DOS
              > and other stuff, they run it in DOSBox, and have no problems with
              > students erasing the system.
              >
              > Also, they're running Autocad in Crossover. Like I've said, they've
              > got a good thing going for them, and they were forced to do that to
              > save on costs. Initially, some faculty demanded windows, but since
              > Larry had more or less the last say in it, linux prevailed.
              >
              > I also talked with one student, she said Linux was definitely more
              > interesting than with windows. Now, that statement alone says a lot
              > about the accessibility of open source.
              >
              > If you guys want to meet him and talk with him, just give me a call.
              > Anyways, I think another cegnulug meeting is long overdue now,
              right? :)

              > God bless!
              >
              > Clint

            • Clint Christopher Canada
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9, 2006
                Peace!

                Ok, just tell me the time and day, and I'll set up an appointment, if
                possible. I'm totally free this saturday.

                God bless!

                Clint

                --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, "john naldoza" <njclark@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > and other stuff, they run it in DOSBox, and have no problems with
                > > > students erasing the system.
                > > >
                > > > Also, they're running Autocad in Crossover. Like I've said, they've
                > > > got a good thing going for them, and they were forced to do that to
                > > > save on costs. Initially, some faculty demanded windows, but since
                > > > Larry had more or less the last say in it, linux prevailed.
                > > >
                > > > I also talked with one student, she said Linux was definitely more
                > > > interesting than with windows. Now, that statement alone says a lot
                > > > about the accessibility of open source.
                > > >
                > > > If you guys want to meet him and talk with him, just give me a call.
                > > > Anyways, I think another cegnulug meeting is long overdue now,
                > > right? :)
                > > >
                > > > God bless!
                > > >
                > > > Clint

                > > > Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

              • Jeffrey Philip Tan
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
                  so, john, cosider this as an exercis =p