Re: Software Patents

  • Clint Christopher Canada
    Message 1 of 49 , Sep 1, 2005
      Peace!

      There's an excellent article from lwn.net weekly edition, this time
      concerning bnetd, but also talks about dvds in linux:

      http://lwn.net/Articles/148177/

      "We have seen this sort of issue before. Dmitry Sklyarov's e-book
      processor could be said to be a "piracy enabler." Adobe certainly made
      that claim. Fortunately, few people questioned the correctness or
      necessity of defending Mr. Sklyarov. Similarly, Jon Johansen was
      accused of facilitating piracy by releasing the DeCSS code. But DeCSS
      is not about piracy; it is about our right to play the DVDs we have
      purchased on our Linux systems. If we cannot write interoperable
      software, we will be stuck with whatever others deign to sell to us.."

      And this is only in the US where everyone seems to sue everyone at a
      whim. That's why fighting software patents (emphasize software!) from
      being legislated in the Philippines is so important. EU Parliament
      has already rejected software patents, as defined by US laws. Even
      bittorrent is already being hit by people in the US as bad or illegal
      (which is ridiculuous considering that without this nice piece of
      software, big iso downloads of linux distros would be much more
      cumbersome!) I can download so much faster in bittorrent than direct
      downloads alone... I can reach over 60kbps in a SMART wifi connection
      (at home), which ironically at work (Globe), I can only reach about 40
      or 35kbps even in bittorrent, but its faster than direct downloads!

      Sorry about being too emotional about it. :). If software patents had
      its way, your typical gaim, kopete, mplayer, etc and even linux will
      cease to exist.

      God bless!
    • Simon Cornelius P. Umacob
      Message 49 of 49 , Sep 12, 2005
        IMHO, this theme can assist people already used to the Windows XP GUI in
        transitioning to the Linux OS.

        KDE3 XP Style:
        <http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=1499>

        [ simon.cpu ]

        --
        And /usr/games/fortune futurama says:

        Paul: If rubbin' frozen dirt in your crotch is wrong, hey,
        I don't wanna be right.