Training For the member of CE-GNU-LUG newbie-linux user ?

  • Conan the Barbarian
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
      Good Day to all member, correct me if im wrong,Our mission is to
      spread Linux OS as the Primary Desktop in cebu?. Cebu first. later
      nationwide then around the world. :-) hehehe.

      How can we promote linux to others, if members like me dont know
      how to format a Linux o.s. or install modem driver for linux.

      I think we should make a Phamplet for Linux Beginner User that
      will be distributed to the newbie members and I hope we had a SWAT
      team , that will act as the elite force in CE-GNU-LUG to solve the
      problem of the members in term of Software installation and drivers
      conflict and other related problem.

      this is only my humble suggestion that maybe we can also put in
      our data base if youre a newbie, intermediate, advance or expert
      linux user. or a programmer. thanks for reading....

      thats all.
      inspector_ronan
    • john naldoza
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
        Hi,

        Kindly refer to the following link to understand what we are all "about"...

        http://cegnulug.cityguideph.com/

        As for starting out with Linux, I would suggest you try to read up on
        some material on the internet. I particularly like RUTE - RUTE Users
        Training and Exposition.

        http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz

        As for having conflicts with the drivers, more often than not it's the
        fault of the user on not researching on the HW that would work well
        with your system. RTFM - Read the Fine Manuals, especially
        distribution specific ones.

        We could try to come up with a "forum"-based system, but there's just
        so much info out there in the wild that we're just using google to
        find most of our common (perhaps even uncommon) problems.

        We'll probably need to plan/plot out some "technical" meetings.
        Perhaps this can be brought out during our next meeting? "March 12,
        2005 - 7pm at the Targe Corporation Office":D

        Cheers,

        John Clark

        On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:57:09 -0000, Conan the Barbarian
        <ronanlim@...> wrote:

        > Good Day to all member, correct me if im wrong,Our mission is to
        > spread Linux OS as the Primary Desktop in cebu?. Cebu first. later
        > nationwide then around the world. :-) hehehe.
        >
        > How can we promote linux to others, if members like me dont know
        > how to format a Linux o.s. or install modem driver for linux.
        >
        > I think we should make a Phamplet for Linux Beginner User that
        > will be distributed to the newbie members and I hope we had a SWAT
        > team , that will act as the elite force in CE-GNU-LUG to solve the
        > problem of the members in term of Software installation and drivers
        > conflict and other related problem.
        >
        > this is only my humble suggestion that maybe we can also put in
        > our data base if youre a newbie, intermediate, advance or expert
        > linux user. or a programmer. thanks for reading....
        >
        > thats all.
        > inspector_ronan

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ryan Go
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
          Hello,

          One thing I would like to add is:

          Use this email list for asking questions. The people here are willing to help.

          As for 'formatting', I'm sure if you do a search, you can find
          instructions on how to do it.

          The 'installing modem' part is a bit tricky since a lot of the modems
          out there are really not 'modems' but soft ones (we call them
          winmodems). All the smarts are built in to the manufacturer provided
          driver, mostly for windows platforms only. If you have one of these
          modems, the chances are kinda slim that you can get it to work under
          linux.

          Please do email this list if you're stuck, we won't be able to help if
          we won't know what issues you are having.

          Yan

          On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:15:21 +0800, john naldoza <njclark@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Kindly refer to the following link to understand what we are all "about"...
          >
          > http://cegnulug.cityguideph.com/
          >
          > As for starting out with Linux, I would suggest you try to read up on
          > some material on the internet. I particularly like RUTE - RUTE Users
          > Training and Exposition.
          >
          > http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz
          >
          > As for having conflicts with the drivers, more often than not it's the
          > fault of the user on not researching on the HW that would work well
          > with your system. RTFM - Read the Fine Manuals, especially
          > distribution specific ones.
          >
          > We could try to come up with a "forum"-based system, but there's just
          > so much info out there in the wild that we're just using google to
          > find most of our common (perhaps even uncommon) problems.
          >
          > We'll probably need to plan/plot out some "technical" meetings.
          > Perhaps this can be brought out during our next meeting? "March 12,
          > 2005 - 7pm at the Targe Corporation Office":D
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > John Clark
          >
          > On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:57:09 -0000, Conan the Barbarian
          > <ronanlim@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Good Day to all member, correct me if im wrong,Our mission is to
          > > spread Linux OS as the Primary Desktop in cebu?. Cebu first. later
          > > nationwide then around the world. :-) hehehe.
          > >
          > > How can we promote linux to others, if members like me dont know
          > > how to format a Linux o.s. or install modem driver for linux.
          > >
          > > I think we should make a Phamplet for Linux Beginner User that
          > > will be distributed to the newbie members and I hope we had a SWAT
          > > team , that will act as the elite force in CE-GNU-LUG to solve the
          > > problem of the members in term of Software installation and drivers
          > > conflict and other related problem.
          > >
          > > this is only my humble suggestion that maybe we can also put in
          > > our data base if youre a newbie, intermediate, advance or expert
          > > linux user. or a programmer. thanks for reading....
          > >
          > > thats all.
          > > inspector_ronan

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • clintcan
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
            Peace!

            As for winmodems, I've had pretty good experience in installing
            winmodems based on the connexant hsf chipset... this is the most
            popular based chipset here in the Philippines (although PCTEL modems
            are also sold here). I have the 5.03 beta version of the linuxant
            modem drivers (from peanut linux) which are the fully featured free
            ones before they had it crippled :)

            If your kernel is compiled for SMP (multiprocessor), this one will not
            work. You should download the latest driver version from linuxant
            (which allows you to connect only at 14.4kbps, if I remember it
            correctly - if you don't buy a license) and choose the right package
            for your system.

            to configure... simply type in hsfconfig and the driver will
            configure itself to the system (kernel). Please just make sure you
            have gcc and the kernel sources installed installed in your system.

          • Ryan Go
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
              Hello,

              Wow. I'm having issues using the conexant chip on a set of IBM laptops
              (t42) right now since I could only connect at 14.4 kbps. I am positive
              I am not using an SMP kernel. What kernel version are you using?

              It would be nice to know how you got it working over 14.4. Aside from
              the solution I used last week by forking over $15 for 1 license.
              This was the first time I (or the company) paid for drivers, and it's
              more expensive than the cost of the hardware itself. tsk tsk.

              The only other winmodem I got to work successfully in linux was a
              lucent chip in one of the older IBM T series laptops. I had to
              download a binary kernel module that had some glue.

              Yan

              On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:52:01 -0000, clintcan <clintoca@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > http://cegnulug.cityguideph.com/
              > > >
              > > > As for starting out with Linux, I would suggest you try to read up on
              > > > some material on the internet. I particularly like RUTE - RUTE Users
              > > > Training and Exposition.
              > > >
              > > > http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz
              > > >
              > > > As for having conflicts with the drivers, more often than not it's the
              > > > fault of the user on not researching on the HW that would work well
              > > > with your system. RTFM - Read the Fine Manuals, especially
              > > > distribution specific ones.
              > > >
              > > > We could try to come up with a "forum"-based system, but there's just
              > > > so much info out there in the wild that we're just using google to
              > > > find most of our common (perhaps even uncommon) problems.
              > > >
              > > > We'll probably need to plan/plot out some "technical" meetings.
              > > > Perhaps this can be brought out during our next meeting? "March 12,
              > > > 2005 - 7pm at the Targe Corporation Office":D

            • clintcan
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
                Peace!

                I've tried it on kernels 2.4.2x. As of 2.6.x, it may or may not work,
                just have to try.

                It works. This version of the link I'm going to show you is the old
                version before linuxant made the drivers shareware/crippled. You may
                want to try it out:

                ftp://ftp.videomedic.net/pub/peanut/contribs/past/Peanut-Linux-9.5/pkgs/RPMS/MODEMs/

                Remember, these are linuxant beta drivers and so far, I guarantee them
                to work on kernels 2.4.2x, even if its beta.

                Another topic...

                Btw, Bimbo, if you're still interested in getting an older version of
                peanut for pentium I based computers, you can try to get it here.

                ftp://ftp.videomedic.net/pub/peanut/contribs/past/Peanut-Linux-9.5/

                If you do want to upgrade to firefox 1.0 for Peanut 9.5, you might
                want to try this

                ftp://ftp.videomedic.net/pub/peanut/contribs/Clint/

                God bless!

                Clint

              • Ralph Bacolod
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 3, 2005
                  If one could fork out 15 dollars for something thats against our
                  philosophies,why not just buy a real modem FCS!

                  --- clintcan <clintoca@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > >
                  > > > As for winmodems, I've had pretty good experience in installing
                  > > > winmodems based on the connexant hsf chipset... this is the most
                  > > > popular based chipset here in the Philippines (although PCTEL modems
                  > > > are also sold here). I have the 5.03 beta version of the linuxant
                  > > > modem drivers (from peanut linux) which are the fully featured free
                  > > > ones before they had it crippled :)
                  > > >
                  > > > If your kernel is compiled for SMP (multiprocessor), this one will not
                  > > > work. You should download the latest driver version from linuxant
                  > > > (which allows you to connect only at 14.4kbps, if I remember it
                  > > > correctly - if you don't buy a license) and choose the right package
                  > > > for your system.
                  > > >
                  > > > to configure... simply type in hsfconfig and the driver will
                  > > > configure itself to the system (kernel). Please just make sure you
                  > > > have gcc and the kernel sources installed installed in your system.

                • Ryan Go
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 3, 2005
                    A real PCMCIA modem that is linux supported is more than $15. Finding
                    another model/brand of laptop opens up yet another can of worms.

                    Yan

                    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:40:52 +0000 (GMT), Ralph Bacolod
                    <rafiks_rb@...> wrote:

                    > If one could fork out 15 dollars for something thats against our
                    > philosophies,why not just buy a real modem FCS!
                    >

                    > --- clintcan <clintoca@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Peace!
                    > >
                    > > I've tried it on kernels 2.4.2x. As of 2.6.x, it may or may not work,
                    > > just have to try.
                    > >
                    > > It works. This version of the link I'm going to show you is the old
                    > > version before linuxant made the drivers shareware/crippled. You may
                    > > want to try it out:
                    > >

                    > ftp://ftp.videomedic.net/pub/peanut/contribs/past/Peanut-Linux-9.5/pkgs/RPMS/MODEMs/
                    > >
                    > > Remember, these are linuxant beta drivers and so far, I guarantee them
                    > > to work on kernels 2.4.2x, even if its beta.
                    > >
                    > > Another topic...
                    > >
                    > > Btw, Bimbo, if you're still interested in getting an older version of
                    > > peanut for pentium I based computers, you can try to get it here.
                    > >
                    > > ftp://ftp.videomedic.net/pub/peanut/contribs/past/Peanut-Linux-9.5/
                    > >
                    > > If you do want to upgrade to firefox 1.0 for Peanut 9.5, you might
                    > > want to try this
                    > >
                    > > ftp://ftp.videomedic.net/pub/peanut/contribs/Clint/
                    > >
                    > > God bless!
                    > >
                    > > Clint
                    > >
                    > > --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Go <lildaemon@g...> wrote:
                    > > > Hello,
                    > > >
                    > > > Wow. I'm having issues using the conexant chip on a set of IBM laptops
                    > > > (t42) right now since I could only connect at 14.4 kbps. I am positive
                    > > > I am not using an SMP kernel. What kernel version are you using?
                    > > >
                    > > > It would be nice to know how you got it working over 14.4. Aside from
                    > > > the solution I used last week by forking over $15 for 1 license.
                    > > > This was the first time I (or the company) paid for drivers, and it's
                    > > > more expensive than the cost of the hardware itself. tsk tsk.
                    > > >
                    > > > The only other winmodem I got to work successfully in linux was a
                    > > > lucent chip in one of the older IBM T series laptops. I had to
                    > > > download a binary kernel module that had some glue.
                    > > >
                    > > > Yan

                    > > modems

                    > > help if

                    > > read up on
                    > > RUTE Users

                    > > it's the
                    > > well

                    > > there's just

                    > > "March 12,

                    > > later

                    > > User that
                    > > a SWAT
                    > > solve the
                    > > drivers

                    > > also put in
                    > > expert

                  • Ralph Bacolod
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 3, 2005
                      --- Ryan Go <lildaemon@...> wrote:
                      > A real PCMCIA modem that is linux supported is more than $15. Finding
                      > another model/brand of laptop opens up yet another can of worms.
                      >
                      > Yan
                      >
                      > On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:40:52 +0000 (GMT), Ralph Bacolod
                      > <rafiks_rb@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > If one could fork out 15 dollars for something thats against our
                      > > philosophies,why not just buy a real modem FCS!

                      Does your laptop have a serial port or USB port?

                      rafiks

                    • Ryan Go
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 3, 2005
                        Hello,

                        Yes and no. There's USB ports but no serial port.

                        This is not a laptop for my own use. We deploy these laptops for our
                        users when they travel and need to dialin remotely.

                        If you're trying to suggest a USB/serial modem. That's a possibility
                        but I would consider that last, mainly because of 'ease of use'
                        issues.

                        Thanks,

                        Yan

                        On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:00:17 +0000 (GMT), Ralph Bacolod
                        <rafiks_rb@...> wrote:

                        > --- Ryan Go <lildaemon@...> wrote:
                        > > A real PCMCIA modem that is linux supported is more than $15. Finding
                        > > another model/brand of laptop opens up yet another can of worms.
                        > >
                        > > Yan
                        > >
                        > > On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:40:52 +0000 (GMT), Ralph Bacolod
                        > > <rafiks_rb@...> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > If one could fork out 15 dollars for something thats against our
                        > > > philosophies,why not just buy a real modem FCS!
                        > > >

                        > Does your laptop have a serial port or USB port?
                        >
                        > rafiks

                      • clintcan
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 3, 2005
                          Peace!

                          Although I'm all for open source systems, I realize that there must be
                          a balance between open source and proprietary software. I use
                          whatever works on my part. Btw, OT, one thing I find frustrating with
                          open source sometimes though, is much like the emulation authors... I
                          find that there are some people who just ask and ask, and if they
                          don't find your hard work suitable for them, they complain a lot and
                          sometimes blurt out expletives... and to think some of these guys at
                          your own expense sell what you made for a price! Oh, well...

                          God bless

                          Clint

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 3, 2005
                            Clint,

                            I do know open source's place. That's why we have a few winblows
                            machines in the company.

                            Yeap. Same feeling when I read email questions from users who don't
                            bother to do their homework at all. They just expect the members to
                            bend over backwards just to help them out. Not much in this list since
                            it's low traffic anyway but on some other list I am active.

                            Yan

                            On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:45:38 -0000, clintcan <clintoca@...> wrote:

                            > Peace!
                            >
                            > Although I'm all for open source systems, I realize that there must be
                            > a balance between open source and proprietary software. I use
                            > whatever works on my part. Btw, OT, one thing I find frustrating with
                            > open source sometimes though, is much like the emulation authors... I
                            > find that there are some people who just ask and ask, and if they
                            > don't find your hard work suitable for them, they complain a lot and
                            > sometimes blurt out expletives... and to think some of these guys at
                            > your own expense sell what you made for a price! Oh, well...
                            >
                            > God bless
                            >
                            > Clint
                            >
                            > --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Bacolod <rafiks_rb@y...> wrote:
                            > > If one could fork out 15 dollars for something thats against our
                            > > philosophies,why not just buy a real modem FCS!

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • clintcan
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 3, 2005
                              Peace!

                              What I meant was in developing a linux distribution...

                              From the experiences I personally had seen in peanut linux and the
                              pnut project, there were some some rather uncool or snide remarks made
                              by people, who seem unaware of the time and effort spent in developing
                              and making it work, and are only interested in getting the finished
                              product. It's a labor of love! So for those of you guys who are into
                              linux distro development - I salute you! I kinda know how a headache
                              it is to upgrade your glibc libraries and your gcc(to rodeoflip of
                              germany - the pnut project), and going through a nightmare in updating
                              all the resulting packages to suit the new version of those two
                              packages! God bless.

                              Clint