No more RedHat Linux

  • Chad
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003

      Are you guys buying this crap??? Pangwartahai napud!

      The below lines is the actual excerpt of the announcement i received:

      Thank you for being a Red Hat Network customer.

      This e-mail provides you with important information about the upcoming
      discontinuation of Red Hat Linux, and resources to assist you with your
      migration to another Red Hat solution.

      As previously communicated, Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and
      errata support for Red Hat Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 as of December
      31, 2003. Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and errata support for
      Red Hat Linux 9 as of April 30, 2004. Red Hat does not plan to release
      another product in the Red Hat Linux line.

      With the recent announcement of Red Hat Enterprise Linux v.3, you'll
      find migrating to Enterprise Linux appealing.  We understand
      that transitioning to another Red Hat solution requires careful planning
      and implementation.  We have created a migration plan for Red Hat Network
      customers to help make the transition as simple and seamless as
      possible. Details:

      ****************
      If you purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic before February
      28, 2004, you will receive 50% off the price for two years.[*] (That's two
      years for the price of one.)

      ****************
      In addition, we have created a Red Hat Linux Migration Resource Center
      to address your migration planning and other questions, such as:

      * What are best practices for implementing the migration to Red Hat
        Enterprise Linux?

      * Are there other migration alternatives?

      * How do I purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic at the price
        above?

      * What if my paid subscription to RHN extends past April 30, 2004?

      ****************

      Find out more about your migration options with product comparisons,
      whitepapers and documentation at the Red Hat Linux Migration Resource
      Center:

        http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn

      Or read the FAQ written especially for Red Hat Network customers:

        https://rhn.redhat.com/help/rhlmigrationfaq/

      Sincerely,

      Red Hat, Inc.

      [*] Limit 10 units. Higher volume purchase inquiries should contact a
          regional Red Hat sales representative. Contact numbers available at
          http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn

      --the Red Hat Network Team

    • Chad
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
        I believe they still have this on redhat

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
          The news is true. However RedHat would be 'releasing' a product called
          Fedora Linux. For those who are familiar with the way Debian is developed,
          this would be somewhat similar. According to what I read, updates to a
          version would be within 3-6 months from the time product is released.

          On the other note, you have to understand that a company needs to make
          money in order to survive.

          << ryan

          On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Chad wrote:

          > Are you guys buying this crap??? Pangwartahai napud!
          >
          > The below lines is the actual excerpt of the announcement i received:
          >

          > Thank you for being a Red Hat Network customer.
          >
          > This e-mail provides you with important information about the upcoming
          > discontinuation of Red Hat Linux, and resources to assist you with your
          > migration to another Red Hat solution.
          >
          > As previously communicated, Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and
          > errata support for Red Hat Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 as of December
          > 31, 2003. Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and errata support for
          > Red Hat Linux 9 as of April 30, 2004. Red Hat does not plan to release
          > another product in the Red Hat Linux line.
          >
          > With the recent announcement of Red Hat Enterprise Linux v.3, you'll
          > find migrating to Enterprise Linux appealing. We understand
          > that transitioning to another Red Hat solution requires careful planning
          > and implementation. We have created a migration plan for Red Hat Network
          > customers to help make the transition as simple and seamless as
          > possible. Details:
          >
          > ****************
          > If you purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic before February
          > 28, 2004, you will receive 50% off the price for two years.[*] (That's two
          > years for the price of one.)
          >
          > ****************
          > In addition, we have created a Red Hat Linux Migration Resource Center
          > to address your migration planning and other questions, such as:
          >
          > * What are best practices for implementing the migration to Red Hat
          > Enterprise Linux?
          >
          > * Are there other migration alternatives?
          >
          > * How do I purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic at the price
          > above?
          >
          > * What if my paid subscription to RHN extends past April 30, 2004?
          >
          > ****************
          >
          > Find out more about your migration options with product comparisons,
          > whitepapers and documentation at the Red Hat Linux Migration Resource
          > Center:
          >
          > http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn
          >

          > Or read the FAQ written especially for Red Hat Network customers:
          >
          > https://rhn.redhat.com/help/rhlmigrationfaq/
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Red Hat, Inc.
          >

          > [*] Limit 10 units. Higher volume purchase inquiries should contact a
          > regional Red Hat sales representative. Contact numbers available at
          > http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn
          >
          > --the Red Hat Network Team

        • Chad
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
            Well, we'd also have to note that RedHat wasn't a company when it started until the corporate crocodiles started taking a bite off of it. I get the feeling that it's companies like these that forget where they came from. They forget it was the open source community that made their software. Now they're closing the doors on us.

            It's a sad shame. The comments are all over the newsgroups.

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
              This only proves the point that redhat is like the Msoft of the open source
              community.
              --- darkstar_ae@... <darkstar_ae@...> wrote:
              > Well, we'd also have to note that RedHat wasn't a company when it started
              > ntil the corporate crocodiles started taking a bite off of it. I get the
              fe
              > eling that it's companies like these that forget where they came from.
              They
              > forget it was the open source community that made their software. Now
              they
              > 're closing the doors on us.
              >
              > It's a sad shame. The comments are all over the newsgroups.

              http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
            • Dudley F. Cañas
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
                we have all the alternatives (debian,mandrake...) ........ unlike M$oft nga
                wala gyud!
                thats what OSS is all about ...hmmmm tama ba ko :)
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
                  well, that may be the case but it's the software i recommend to newbies. We
                  all know that other distros don't cater that. Mandrake is also commercial,
                  too.

                  > we have all the alternatives (debian,mandrake...) ........ unlike M$oft
                  nga
                  > wala gyud!
                  > thats what OSS is all about ...hmmmm tama ba ko :)

                • Dudley F. Cañas
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2003
                    ya youre right chad.... well lets just accept fedora project with open arms
                    maybe its not that bad!

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 4, 2003
                      I strongly disagree that anybody is closing any doors here. The GPL
                      doesn't prohibit you from making money off your software/product.

                      You can, in fact get the source to RedHat's Enterprise Linux and do
                      anything with it (even release it as a different product, as long as you
                      don't use Redhat's trademarks). I think there are people in the community
                      trying to do that now.

                      Just take a look at what 'big' Linux distro vendors are left in the
                      market.

                      Mandrake is still alive but struggling financially. They are asking their
                      users for donations.

                      SuSe is doing pretty good, partly because of their business model. In
                      order to get SuSe for x86, you have to buy their box set. There are no ISO
                      images in SuSe's web/ftp site for x86.

                      I agree it is sad, but we have to move on eh? :-)

                      << ryan

                      On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Chad wrote:

                      > Well, we'd also have to note that RedHat wasn't a company when it
                      > started until the corporate crocodiles started taking a bite off of it.
                      > I get the feeling that it's companies like these that forget where they
                      > came from. They forget it was the open source community that made their
                      > software. Now they're closing the doors on us.
                      >
                      > It's a sad shame. The comments are all over the newsgroups.

                    • Ryan Go
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 4, 2003
                        Reading this after sending my email.

                        See Novell press release about them buying SuSE.

                        http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/11/pr03069.html

                        It seems choosing the right distro after the end of RHL would be tougher.

                        << ryan

                        On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Ryan Go wrote:

                        > I strongly disagree that anybody is closing any doors here. The GPL
                        > doesn't prohibit you from making money off your software/product.
                        >
                        > You can, in fact get the source to RedHat's Enterprise Linux and do
                        > anything with it (even release it as a different product, as long as you
                        > don't use Redhat's trademarks). I think there are people in the community
                        > trying to do that now.
                        >
                        > Just take a look at what 'big' Linux distro vendors are left in the
                        > market.
                        >
                        > Mandrake is still alive but struggling financially. They are asking their
                        > users for donations.
                        >
                        > SuSe is doing pretty good, partly because of their business model. In
                        > order to get SuSe for x86, you have to buy their box set. There are no
                        > ISO
                        > images in SuSe's web/ftp site for x86.
                        >
                        > I agree it is sad, but we have to move on eh? :-)
                        >
                        >       << ryan
                        >
                        > On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Chad wrote:
                        >
                        > > Well, we'd also have to note that RedHat wasn't a company when it
                        > > started until the corporate crocodiles started taking a bite off of it.
                        > > I get the feeling that it's companies like these that forget where they
                        > > came from. They forget it was the open source community that made their
                        > > software. Now they're closing the doors on us.
                        > >
                        > > It's a sad shame. The comments are all over the newsgroups.

                      • Carlo Florendo
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 4, 2003
                          To add to all that, Trustix secure linux has bee purchased by the Comodo Group.

                          See Novell press release about them buying SuSE.

                          http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/11/pr03069.html

                          It seems choosing the right distro after the end of RHL would be tougher.

                                << ryan

                          On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Ryan Go wrote:

                          > I strongly disagree that anybody is closing any doors here. The GPL
                          > doesn't prohibit you from making money off your software/product.
                          >
                          > You can, in fact get the source to RedHat's Enterprise Linux and do
                          > anything with it (even release it as a different product, as long as you
                          > don't use Redhat's trademarks). I think there are people in the community
                          > trying to do that now.
                          >
                          > Just take a look at what 'big' Linux distro vendors are left in the
                          > market.
                          >
                          > Mandrake is still alive but struggling financially. They are asking their
                          > users for donations.
                          >
                          > SuSe is doing pretty good, partly because of their business model. In
                          > order to get SuSe for x86, you have to buy their box set. There are no
                          > ISO
                          > images in SuSe's web/ftp site for x86.
                          >
                          > I agree it is sad, but we have to move on eh? :-)
                          >
                          >       << ryan
                          >
                          > On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Chad wrote:
                          >
                          > > Well, we'd also have to note that RedHat wasn't a company when it
                          > > started until the corporate crocodiles started taking a bite off of it.
                          > > I get the feeling that it's companies like these that forget where they
                          > > came from. They forget it was the open source community that made their
                          > > software. Now they're closing the doors on us.
                          > >
                          > > It's a sad shame. The comments are all over the newsgroups.

                        • Chad
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 4, 2003
                            I'm not surprised with all these hype though.

                            I read an article back in 1997 which prophesized the end of Linux. Linux ends not in the sense that it will die out but rather in the sense of business - the death of open source, so to speak. As long as there are corporate crocodiles out there no "FREE" thing tends to remain free forever. Heck, they'd charge you to breathe if air wasn't abundant. The fact that someone once attempted to copyright the name "Linux", although the guy failed, is proof of this imminent danger.

                            In the end, history will repeat itself as far as it goes. Linux will billow down to just 3-4 main distros as what happened to Unix. Although I'm familiar with the open source concept I'm just curious as to what makes Linux different from Unix in terms of safety from large corporate giants (pardon the statement, i'm not sure how to put my idea into words for this). I admit that having these corporations around helps in the rapid development of software but at the price of the price itself (no pun intended... heheheh...).

                            Some distros are slowly dying out and some remains. I understand it costs money to maintain Linux but that's life. You make something eventually you start asking money for it. To think some of the people I sell linux cds even bitch and moan about the price I sell to them. They should have a look at the distros itself. They're even lucky they can acquire it if at all. These will soon be museum material. hehehe...