RE: [ce-gnu-lug] newbies

  • John Naldoza
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hi,

      What distro are you going to use?  And how is your windows machine partitioned right now?

      Cheers,

      John Clark
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003

        hi pal

                 im going to use redhat and im at the stage of mounting point if i would create a new parttition on this how would this appear to gui

        bc45

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • John Naldoza
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
          Ok,

          How is your system partitioned right now???

          Cheers,

          John Clark
                   im going to use redhat and im at the stage of mounting point if i would create a new parttition on this how would this appear to gui

          bc45

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • andrew john young
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 7, 2003
            Peace!

            Has someone answered this guy na? Well, in case wla pa:

            Mandrake is a better choice than lycoris, but lycoris looks and feels more XP
            than Mandrake but doesn't use normal Linux path and files that will enable you
            to really learn linux... although mandrake is slowly doing the same thing...
            but has a bigger FAQ base than lycoris in case you run into a brick wall
            experimenting with it.

            Issues:

            1) Database - You can go for the more feature rich PosgreSQL or MySQL
            (personally I'd go for PosgreSQL), there's talk about a SAP for linux but so
            far it was still under development last I checked (december of 2002)

            2) Learning Curve - sorry about this but you have to bear with a sharp learning
            curve when it comes to maintenance using the console but for the GUI versions
            it's WINdowy.

            3) Games - OpenGL works fine.... I dunno if WINE works with DirectX type of
            games... with this I think John has more experience than I do.

            --- the_kamiya_dojo <the_kamiya_dojo@...> wrote:
            > Hi guys and gals,
            >
            > I'm really, really, really (can't stress it enough) new to linux.
            >
            > The deal is this... i'm sick and tired of windows.
            >
            > I've been eyeing linux for quite some time now, but the problem is I
            > don't have a clue on what to get or what not.
            >
            > Jut read that either Mandrake or Lycoris is good for newbies who'll
            > just use it at the home.
            >
            > I have several issues at hand:
            > - i need a something with database much like MS Access
            > - learning curve not so steep
            > - can run Windows based games (MOHAA or GTA3) hehehe
            >
            > Can anybody help? Thanks

            =====

            http://tax.yahoo.com
          • John Naldoza