disabling ping

  • cfflorendo@skyinet.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hi,

      How does one make a machine unpingable? Clark, I remember you doing this to coolio. How was that again?

      Thanks!

      Best Regards,

      Carlo
    • John Naldoza
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
        Hello Carlo,

        My method was flawed :) It became unpingabled, but it had a side-effect of degrading network access speed with bigger files :) A better way of doing this, should be through Packet Filtering. Just make sure you ain't flooded with ping requests, that's all :)

        Cheers,

        John Clark
        --
        John Clark Naldoza - john.naldoza@...
        Head, Wireless Learning Systems

      • andrew john young
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2003
          Peace!

          Has someone answered this yet? well, kung wala ang mo answer ha.
          Please correct me if I'm wrong but you can use either IPCHAINS or IPTABLES to
          look for echo request/reply and just drop those request.. I suggest you read up
          on the IP filtering system your using and look up the codes for echo requests
          ... code 8 if I'm not mistaken. What I mean when I say code is the port number
          e.g. FTP port 20 and 21.. echo request is 8 and a whole lot more.

          hope this helps

          GOD BLESS!
          Andrew John P. Young
          ARCtech Solutions Inc.