Introduction from a new member

  • linux_it_hacker <dmeyer07@tampabay.rr.co
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
      Hello,

      My name is David Meyer, and I live in the US, in Tampa, FL. My wife
      is from Cebu (born in Toledo, moved to Cebu) and has been with me here
      for seven years.

      I've been in IT since 1992 and have been a Solaris Admin most of that
      time, but have been in Linux for two years. I've taken all the Red
      Hat courses for the RHCE and have taken the test once...it was a
      killer. Now I'm studying to take it again.

      Our goal is to return to the Philippines and have some sort of a Linux
      business. My brother-in-law is just getting started in Linux, so I
      hope that by the time I am able to move the family over there he'll be
      up and running.

      Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself...I hate lurkers.

      Salamat,

      David Meyer
    • marvin carredo
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
        welcome to CE-GNU-LUG david!!!

        So how do you know about ce-gnu-lug?
        Killer? well thats what most people says!
        But are you sure you want to take it again? because
        ive heard that you must get at least 90+
        percent(sorry, forgot the exact figure) when you
        retake the exam. Well, GOOD LUCK DUDE!

        But 10 years is a WOW!!!

        cheers!
        marvin

        --- "linux_it_hacker <dmeyer07@...>"
        <dmeyer07@...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > My name is David Meyer, and I live in the US, in
        > Tampa, FL. My wife
        > is from Cebu (born in Toledo, moved to Cebu) and has
        > been with me here
        > for seven years.
        >
        > I've been in IT since 1992 and have been a Solaris
        > Admin most of that
        > time, but have been in Linux for two years. I've
        > taken all the Red
        > Hat courses for the RHCE and have taken the test
        > once...it was a
        > killer. Now I'm studying to take it again.
        >
        > Our goal is to return to the Philippines and have
        > some sort of a Linux
        > business. My brother-in-law is just getting started
        > in Linux, so I
        > hope that by the time I am able to move the family
        > over there he'll be
        > up and running.
        >
        > Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself...I hate
        > lurkers.
        >
        > Salamat,
        >
        > David Meyer

        =====
        cheers!
        marvin

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • marvin carredo
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
          Please count your fingers once again...
          So whats up for ce-gnu-lug this year?

          Happy New Year People!!!
          marvin

          PS.
          Can we make some money for the group this year?

          =====
          cheers!
          marvin

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • linux_it_hacker <dmeyer07@tampabay.rr.co
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
            I did a search on Google for Linux and the Philippines. I have a real
            desire to see Linux of ANY flavor become the major OS in the
            Philippines. If we can get it to be a driving force in one major
            Asian country, it will be easier to advance it elsewhere.

            Can anyone tell me, what is the employment outlook for a UNIX / Linux
            Administrator in Cebu? If I can't find a job here in the next three
            or four months, I'll come there!

            Dave

            --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, marvin carredo <c_marvin18@y...> wrote:
            > welcome to CE-GNU-LUG david!!!
            >
            > So how do you know about ce-gnu-lug?
            > Killer? well thats what most people says!
            > But are you sure you want to take it again? because
            > ive heard that you must get at least 90+
            > percent(sorry, forgot the exact figure) when you
            > retake the exam. Well, GOOD LUCK DUDE!
            >
            > But 10 years is a WOW!!!
            >

            > cheers!
            > marvin
            >
            > --- "linux_it_hacker <dmeyer07@t...>"
            > <dmeyer07@t...> wrote:
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > My name is David Meyer, and I live in the US, in
            > > Tampa, FL. My wife
            > > is from Cebu (born in Toledo, moved to Cebu) and has
            > > been with me here
            > > for seven years.
            > >
            > > I've been in IT since 1992 and have been a Solaris
            > > Admin most of that
            > > time, but have been in Linux for two years. I've
            > > taken all the Red
            > > Hat courses for the RHCE and have taken the test
            > > once...it was a
            > > killer. Now I'm studying to take it again.
            > >
            > > Our goal is to return to the Philippines and have
            > > some sort of a Linux
            > > business. My brother-in-law is just getting started
            > > in Linux, so I
            > > hope that by the time I am able to move the family
            > > over there he'll be
            > > up and running.
            > >
            > > Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself...I hate
            > > lurkers.
            > >
            > > Salamat,
            > >
            > > David Meyer
            > >

            > =====
            > cheers!
            > marvin

            > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • John Naldoza
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
              Hello Marvin,

              What's up for CE-GNU-LUG. First we need to get together, and plan out what we'd like to do...

              My apologies for being kinda busy, and my advanced apologies on being busier this year <have to plan out a wedding> :)

              HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

              Cheers,

              John Clark

            • Jun Tanamal
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
                John Naldoza wrote:
                > Hello Marvin,
                >

                > What's up for CE-GNU-LUG. First we need to get together, and plan out what we'd like to do...
                >
                > My apologies for being kinda busy, and my advanced apologies on being busier this year <have to plan out a wedding> :)
                >
                > HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

                Now that's a REAL New year for Big John!
                Welcome to the club of the FREE! :)

                Jun Tanamal
              • marvin carredo
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
                  wedding? are you getting married? or your now a
                  wedding planner? if your getting married im sure
                  alcher would rush to the reception! diba cher!, you
                  can also count yan go on that! =)

                  marvin

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/dCBVZC/WnCFAA/xGHJAA/0XFolB/TM

                  > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  =====
                  cheers!
                  marvin

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • John Naldoza
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
                    Hello Dave,

                    First of all, welcome to the group and happy new year!!! :)

                    If you've been in the game for 10+ years, I don't really see much of the problem of getting work as a UNIX/Linux Administrator in Cebu... I think you're major concern would be the compensation package :)

                    One of the most helpful things, to make Linux a major OS in the philippines IMHO, is if get ourselves entrenched in the education market. How we're gonna do it, is a question that needs to be resolved :)

                    Cheers,

                    John Clark

                  • David R. Meyer
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
                      Let me tell you how I started to get Linux into the education area in
                      Florida, USA. I approached a school about using an all Linux solution
                      instead of Microsoft on a 34 node network. We custom-built the systems,
                      and installed SuSE (I should have used RedHat) on all of the
                      workstations. The end result...the school has an all Linux system,
                      networked w/ filtered Internet access, all for more than $10,000.00 less
                      (US) than an all Microsoft solution of the same category. You start
                      doing that in the Philippines, you'll do exactly that.

                      I also sold custom PC's to students for dirt cheap. With Linux, it was
                      an easy sell given the cost difference.

                      Dave

                      On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 20:23, John Naldoza wrote: Hello Dave,

                      First of all, welcome to the group and happy new year!!! :)

                      If you've been in the game for 10+ years, I don't really see much of the
                      problem of getting work as a UNIX/Linux Administrator in Cebu... I
                      think you're major concern would be the compensation package :)

                      One of the most helpful things, to make Linux a major OS in the
                      philippines IMHO, is if get ourselves entrenched in the education
                      market. How we're gonna do it, is a question that needs to be resolved
                      :)

                      Cheers,

                      John Clark

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • John Naldoza
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
                        It's a wedding, my wedding :)

                        June 8, 2003 -<Sunday>- 3pm. Sacred Heart Church.

                        The reception is the most difficult thing for me right now... :(

                        Cheers,

                        John Clark

                      • Ryan Go
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
                          Welcome to the Group!

                          I agree with john. Getting a job with your experience is not that
                          difficult, but the compensation package isn't that great compared to the
                          US.

                          Good Luck!

                          Cheers,
                          ^yan

                          ---
                          Ryan Go
                          mailto: <ryan at rentec dot com>
                          631-444-7105

                          << ryan

                        • rafiks_rb <rafiks_rb@yahoo.com>
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
                            Welcome to Ce-Gnu-Lug!
                            Its nice to know that there would be another individual who will
                            advocate linux in the philippines specifically here in cebu.

                            I just wanna say Good luck.

                            Happy New Year!

                            Ralph
                            wrote:
                            > welcome to CE-GNU-LUG david!!!
                            >
                            > So how do you know about ce-gnu-lug?
                            > Killer? well thats what most people says!
                            > But are you sure you want to take it again? because
                            > ive heard that you must get at least 90+
                            > percent(sorry, forgot the exact figure) when you
                            > retake the exam. Well, GOOD LUCK DUDE!
                            >
                            > But 10 years is a WOW!!!
                            >

                            > cheers!
                            > marvin
                            >
                            > --- "linux_it_hacker <dmeyer07@t...>"
                            > <dmeyer07@t...> wrote:
                            > > Hello,
                            > >
                            > > My name is David Meyer, and I live in the US, in
                            > > Tampa, FL. My wife
                            > > is from Cebu (born in Toledo, moved to Cebu) and has
                            > > been with me here
                            > > for seven years.
                            > >
                            > > I've been in IT since 1992 and have been a Solaris
                            > > Admin most of that
                            > > time, but have been in Linux for two years. I've
                            > > taken all the Red
                            > > Hat courses for the RHCE and have taken the test
                            > > once...it was a
                            > > killer. Now I'm studying to take it again.
                            > >
                            > > Our goal is to return to the Philippines and have
                            > > some sort of a Linux
                            > > business. My brother-in-law is just getting started
                            > > in Linux, so I
                            > > hope that by the time I am able to move the family
                            > > over there he'll be
                            > > up and running.
                            > >
                            > > Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself...I hate
                            > > lurkers.
                            > >
                            > > Salamat,
                            > >
                            > > David Meyer
                            > >

                            > =====
                            > cheers!
                            > marvin

                            > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                          • Ryan Go
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
                              Congrats John! Ayu ayu bay!

                              Jun: Did I hear it right? CLUB of the FREE?? he he he ;)

                              << ryan

                              On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Jun Tanamal wrote:

                              > John Naldoza wrote:
                              > > Hello Marvin,
                              > >

                              > > What's up for CE-GNU-LUG.  First we need to get together, and plan out
                              > what we'd like to do...
                              > >
                              > > My apologies for being kinda busy, and my advanced apologies on being
                              > busier this year <have to plan out a wedding> :)
                              > >
                              > > HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!
                              >

                              > Now that's a REAL New year for Big John!
                              > Welcome to the club of the FREE! :)
                              >
                              > Jun Tanamal
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              > HGTV Dream Home Giveaway

                            • Jun Tanamal
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 1, 2003
                                Ryan Go wrote:
                                > Congrats John! Ayu ayu bay!
                                >
                                > Jun: Did I hear it right? CLUB of the FREE?? he he he ;)

                                I should have posted the continuation rightaway...

                                Free from:
                                -too much loitering in the malls
                                -spending for yourself only
                                -walking alone *walking speed is regulated*
                                -driving past the *wife's* heartbeat speed
                                -overnight hangouts
                                -instant happenings
                                -...you can add more here...

                                DISCLAIMER: this is not supposed to discourage John but to let him go
                                on...unsaon nalang kung walay banquet :)

                                Good LUCK! Happy GNU-Year!

                                Jun
                              • Eben Ramos
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 2, 2003
                                  John Naldoza writes:

                                  It's a wedding, my wedding :)

                                  June 8, 2003 -<Sunday>- 3pm. Sacred Heart Church.

                                  The reception is the most difficult thing for me right now... :(

                                  Cheers,

                                  John Clark

                                  ===
                                  elr: pa-member na jud diay si jclark sa notorious "ilis-lampin gang?" hehe.
                                  then you should join the parenting@... list a couple of months
                                  from now, eh? =) congrats daan, john!
                                  ===

                                  ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
                                  Attention: Businessmen & Managers:
                                  FREE .COM, .NET, .ORG, or .ZIP.PH WEB DOMAINS
                                  FREE WEB HOSTING SPACE w/ 24x7 FTP ACCESS
                                  FREE VIRTUAL EMAIL SERVER w/ 10MB MAILBOXES
                                  FREE CUSTOMIZED/PERSONALIZED EMAIL ADDRESSES
                                  -and, coming soon-
                                  FREE ONLINE WEB DEVELOPMENT TOOL to help you
                                  make your website fast and at no cost to you!
                                  TO FIND OUT HOW TO AVAIL OF THESE FREEBIES
                                  VISIT http://www.mybizlinks.net or call us
                                  at (6332) 420-2471 to 72
                                  ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
                                • Eben Ramos
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 2, 2003
                                    elr: david, a business in cebu offering formal training in linux
                                    administration would be good, IMHO.
                                    ====

                                    David R. Meyer writes:

                                    Let me tell you how I started to get Linux into the education area in
                                    Florida, USA. I approached a school about using an all Linux solution
                                    instead of Microsoft on a 34 node network. We custom-built the systems,
                                    and installed SuSE (I should have used RedHat) on all of the
                                    workstations. The end result...the school has an all Linux system,
                                    networked w/ filtered Internet access, all for more than $10,000.00 less
                                    (US) than an all Microsoft solution of the same category. You start
                                    doing that in the Philippines, you'll do exactly that.

                                    I also sold custom PC's to students for dirt cheap. With Linux, it was
                                    an easy sell given the cost difference.

                                    Dave

                                    On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 20:23, John Naldoza wrote: Hello Dave,

                                    First of all, welcome to the group and happy new year!!! :)

                                    If you've been in the game for 10+ years, I don't really see much of the
                                    problem of getting work as a UNIX/Linux Administrator in Cebu... I
                                    think you're major concern would be the compensation package :)

                                    One of the most helpful things, to make Linux a major OS in the
                                    philippines IMHO, is if get ourselves entrenched in the education
                                    market. How we're gonna do it, is a question that needs to be resolved
                                    :)

                                    Cheers,

                                    John Clark