Re: linux router project?

  • mikeschmeisser
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 1, 2002
      --- In ce-gnu-lug@y..., "Howard R. Bagcat" <howard@m...> wrote:

      > is it possible to replace cisco 2500 with a pc powered by a
      > linuxrouter? does it need any pci card to connect to a
      > leased-line modem (any telco)?

      Those LL modems different to those known for dial-up.
      You would need some WAN Card, which unlike a LAN Card
      pretty expencive.For a new installation you better go
      for a WAN card, unless there are not urgent reasons.
      Would not buy a WAN card, just to replace the router.

      What I do, is putting behind such router a Linux box.
      Read Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control
      http://lartc.org/HOWTO//cvs/2.4routing/html/index.html
      It also explains many aspects of routing using the 'ip'
      tool from the iproute2 suite. Just to get an idea about
      the tremendous power under Linux. Still more of an insult
      for a Linux box to work as router only, Penguin power
      does reach much further :-)

      Mike
    • mikeschmeisser
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 1, 2002
        --- In ce-gnu-lug@y..., "Eben Ramos" <eben_r@m...> wrote:

        > elr: if _that_ works, i'd be interested to know if such a
        > linuxrouter system can replace the function of an edge
        > router as well

        Most people aren't aware of the power in Linux.
        Read that howto on advanced routing, traffic management.

        Eventually you might run short in PC power when going to the
        full capacity a new Cisco router :-) But for what we got
        clustering? They just had put in Germany a super computer
        into service, ranking as the 33rd largest super computer.
        256 standard Linux machines, dual processor, all connected
        by Linux clustering. Price a fractional of super computers.

        Mike
      • Joseph Ong

          24 port router is a pretty big setup. :)

          Care to enlighten me where such a setup might be needed?
          maybe there is a cheaper solution? :D

          I think that 3com might have a 4 port Ethernet card?
          I think I saw such a beast.

          here is a link.
          http://www.phobosperipherals.com/Products/P430.htm
          ~ do not know what it is :)
          just went to google and got this.

          with a 4 port card I think that 16 might be the upper limit with off the
          shelf parts and mother board.

          Remember that the PCI bus is only 300M so limits the raw speed for the
          router.

          Eben Ramos wrote:
          | elr: maybe linux can handle routing, but how about replacing the
          | functionality of a multiple-port router? say, 24 ports? what hardware
          | would a souped-up linuxbox working as your router need to act as its
          ports?
          | ========
          |
          | mikeschmeisser writes:
          |

          |>elr: if _that_ works, i'd be interested to know if such a
          |>linuxrouter system can replace the function of an edge
          |>router as well
          |

          | Most people aren't aware of the power in Linux.
          | Read that howto on advanced routing, traffic management.
          |
          | Eventually you might run short in PC power when going to the
          | full capacity a new Cisco router :-) But for what we got
          | clustering? They just had put in Germany a super computer
          | into service, ranking as the 33rd largest super computer.
          | 256 standard Linux machines, dual processor, all connected
          | by Linux clustering. Price a fractional of super computers.
          |
          | Mike

          eMPOWER
          | your business when you subscribe to http://www.mybizlinks.net !!!

          - --
          "Nothing is ever accomplished by a reasonable man."
          ~ -- George Bernard Shaw --
        • Eben Ramos
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 1, 2002

            mikeschmeisser writes:

            > elr: if _that_ works, i'd be interested to know if such a
            > linuxrouter system can replace the function of an edge
            > router as well

            Most people aren't aware of the power in Linux.
            Read that howto on advanced routing, traffic management.

            Eventually you might run short in PC power when going to the
            full capacity a new Cisco router :-) But for what we got
            clustering? They just had put in Germany a super computer
            into service, ranking as the 33rd largest super computer.
            256 standard Linux machines, dual processor, all connected
            by Linux clustering. Price a fractional of super computers.

            Mike

          • Ryan Go
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 1, 2002
              On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, mikeschmeisser wrote:

              > --- In ce-gnu-lug@y..., "Eben Ramos" <eben_r@m...> wrote:
              > Most people aren't aware of the power in Linux.
              > Read that howto on advanced routing, traffic management.
              >
              > Eventually you might run short in PC power when going to the
              > full capacity a new Cisco router :-) But for what we got
              > clustering? They just had put in Germany a super computer
              > into service, ranking as the 33rd largest super computer.
              > 256 standard Linux machines, dual processor, all connected
              > by Linux clustering. Price a fractional of super computers.

              You mean you were able to replace a router with a linux cluster? How were
              they able to do it? I'd be very interested to hear about this.

              I've seen quite a number of cluster implementations, but most of them
              were for simulations and graphics stuff.

              Cheers,
              ^yan

              ---
              Ryan Go
              mailto: <ryan at rentec dot com>
              631-444-7105

              > Mike

            • mikeschmeisser
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 1, 2002
                --- In ce-gnu-lug@y..., Ryan Go <ryan@r...> wrote:

                > You mean you were able to replace a router with a linux cluster?

                Never had the volume to reach the ceiling :-)

                > I've seen quite a number of cluster implementations, but
                > most of them were for simulations and graphics stuff.

                That is when you need the power.

                I was looking how much traffic a new Cisco router can handle.
                I haven't got any figures for a Linux router. Limit more likely
                the capacity of your interface.

                But on the other side more of an insult for Linux keeping it
                as plain router. A lot of options in way of monitoring,
                firewall, watchdog etc.which definitely to add to the CPU
                load.

                Mike
              • Eben Ramos

                    well maybe we can have a multiple computer configuration?
                    e.g. have 12 ports per computer.
                    11 ports for the incoming connections.
                    1 port goes to a local IX. (on a Switch of course :)
                    that means we have one computer for every 10 incoming ports.

                    sorry, I am not good on diagrams :)

                    I am not sure about the costing of such.
                    if it is for an IX, then I guess the port that your are talking about is
                    not Ethernet?

                    for Telecome there are some E1 Cards or higher capacity.
                    one port should be able to handle a few connections.

                    now to find the card and linux drivers for it.

                    Eben Ramos wrote:
                    | elr: you'd need plenty of ports for an IX setup. anybody willing to make
                    | inputs for such a project? =)
                    | =====

                  • Ryan Go
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 1, 2002
                      On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, mikeschmeisser wrote:

                      > --- In ce-gnu-lug@y..., Ryan Go <ryan@r...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > You mean you were able to replace a router with a linux cluster?
                      >
                      > Never had the volume to reach the ceiling :-)

                      Oh okay. I was just wondering because I know clustering on the interface
                      perspective is kinda ugly. You need to take care of mac address &/ ip
                      sharing etc etc.

                      > > I've seen quite a number of cluster implementations, but
                      > > most of them were for simulations and graphics stuff.
                      >
                      > That is when you need the power.
                      >
                      > I was looking how much traffic a new Cisco router can handle.
                      > I haven't got any figures for a Linux router. Limit more likely
                      > the capacity of your interface.

                      The limit I would think is the CPU and the PCI bus. Well i would also
                      assume that a cisco would perform better than any intel based box used a
                      router for the main reason that cisco's were designed to do routing,
                      nothing else. Well ... maybe packet filtering also.

                      > But on the other side more of an insult for Linux keeping it
                      > as plain router. A lot of options in way of monitoring,
                      > firewall, watchdog etc.which definitely to add to the CPU
                      > load.

                      Well I think using linux as plain router is not an insult, especially if
                      you were able to salvage a 486 (or slower) and use it as a router :-)

                      Cheers,
                      ^yan

                      ---
                      Ryan Go
                      mailto: <ryan at rentec dot com>

                      > Mike

                    • Joseph Ong

                        how is the connection coming in?
                        if it is for IX then there must be multiple entries.

                        for the 12 ports I meant 3 cards of 4 ports ethernet each.
                        that means a MB with 3 PCI slots free.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 2, 2002
                            --- In ce-gnu-lug@y..., Ryan Go <ryan@r...> wrote:

                            > Well I think using linux as plain router is not an insult,
                            > especially if you were able to salvage a 486 (or slower)

                            In that case ok. I was less thinking of an ordinary router,
                            but one of these super machines. Unfortunately iproute2 still
                            widely unkown, maybe also due to a lack of documentation. Going
                            here full into the capapilities of routing and network management,
                            it may get pretty complex. Defintely you will require more
                            CPU power compared to an ordianry router, but I still do lack
                            here the experience. Was playing with some of the commands,
                            pretty amazing what Linux can do :-)

                            Mike
                          • marvin carredo
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 2, 2002
                              any one here tried to share their internet to 2 or
                              more workstation with out using a hub? how do u do it?
                              i got eth0 for internet address while eth1,eth2,eth3
                              for local address i got an additional reply of no ICMP
                              reply (no echo-reply or something like that) when i
                              ping the router.

                              http://sbc.yahoo.com
                            • Joseph Ong
                              • Ryan Go
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 3, 2002
                                  You could only share your internet to one workstation (that makes 2
                                  including the "server/router"). If you use DON'T a hub/switch, and you
                                  have only ONE nic.

                                  If you have more than one NIC, then you would need to add route rules
                                  between them. If you could be more specific on what type of setup you are
                                  trying to achieve, it would be better.

                                  Cheers,
                                  ^yan

                                  ---

                                  On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, marvin carredo wrote:

                                  > any one here tried to share their internet to 2 or
                                  > more workstation with out using a hub? how do u do it?
                                  > i got eth0 for internet address while eth1,eth2,eth3
                                  > for local address i got an additional reply of no ICMP
                                  > reply (no echo-reply or something like that) when i
                                  > ping the router.

                                • marvin carredo
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                                    coyote# ifconfig -a
                                    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
                                    inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
                                    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTV:3924 Metric:1
                                    RX packets:443 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
                                    frame:0
                                    TX packets:443 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
                                    carrier:0

                                    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HW 00:10:4B:1C:50:X
                                    inet addr: 192.168.1.10 Mask:255.0.0.0
                                    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTV:3924 Metric:1
                                    RX packets:325687 errors:0 dropped:0
                                    overruns:0 frame:0
                                    TX packets:356795 errors:0 dropped:0
                                    overruns:0 carrier:0
                                    Interrupt:12 Base address:0xe000

                                    eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HW 00:10:4B:1C:50:X
                                    inet addr: 192.168.2.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
                                    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTV:3924 Metric:1
                                    RX packets:325687 errors:0 dropped:0
                                    overruns:0 frame:0
                                    TX packets:356795 errors:0 dropped:0
                                    overruns:0 carrier:0
                                    Interrupt:12 Base address:0xd400

                                    eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HW 00:10:4B:1C:50:X
                                    inet addr: 192.168.3.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
                                    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTV:3924 Metric:1
                                    RX packets:325687 errors:0 dropped:0
                                    overruns:0 frame:0
                                    TX packets:356795 errors:0 dropped:0
                                    overruns:0 carrier:0
                                    Interrupt:12 Base address:0xd600

                                    samting like that :)

                                    --- Ryan Go <ryan@...> wrote:

                                    > You could only share your internet to one
                                    > workstation (that makes 2
                                    > including the "server/router"). If you use DON'T a
                                    > hub/switch, and you
                                    > have only ONE nic.
                                    >
                                    > If you have more than one NIC, then you would need
                                    > to add route rules
                                    > between them. If you could be more specific on what
                                    > type of setup you are
                                    > trying to achieve, it would be better.
                                    >
                                    > Cheers,
                                    > ^yan
                                    >
                                    > ---
                                    > Ryan Go
                                    > mailto: <ryan at rentec dot com>
                                    >
                                    > On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, marvin carredo wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > any one here tried to share their internet to 2 or
                                    > > more workstation with out using a hub? how do u do
                                    > it?
                                    > > i got eth0 for internet address while
                                    > eth1,eth2,eth3
                                    > > for local address i got an additional reply of no
                                    > ICMP
                                    > > reply (no echo-reply or something like that) when
                                    > > ping the router.

                                    > Terms of Service.

                                    http://sbc.yahoo.com
                                  • Joseph Ong

                                      change your netmask to 255.255.255.0
                                      instead of 255.0.0.0

                                      so you have 3 subnet
                                      192.168.1.X
                                      192.168.2.X
                                      192.168.3.X

                                      seems like this is only 3 cards
                                      where is the WAN link?

                                      right now, that is a single subnet
                                      192.x.x.x

                                      I think that this is a cut and paste item?
                                      not an edited real setup :(

                                      marvin carredo wrote:
                                      | coyote# ifconfig -a
                                      | lo Link encap:Local Loopback
                                      | inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
                                      | UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTV:3924 Metric:1
                                      | RX packets:443 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
                                      | frame:0
                                      | TX packets:443 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
                                      | carrier:0
                                      |
                                      | eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HW 00:10:4B:1C:50:X
                                      | inet addr: 192.168.1.10 Mask:255.0.0.0
                                      | UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTV:3924 Metric:1
                                      | RX packets:325687 errors:0 dropped:0
                                      | overruns:0 frame:0
                                      | TX packets:356795 errors:0 dropped:0
                                      | overruns:0 carrier:0
                                      | Interrupt:12 Base address:0xe000
                                      |

                                      | eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HW 00:10:4B:1C:50:X
                                      | inet addr: 192.168.2.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
                                      | UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTV:3924 Metric:1
                                      | RX packets:325687 errors:0 dropped:0
                                      | overruns:0 frame:0
                                      | TX packets:356795 errors:0 dropped:0
                                      | overruns:0 carrier:0
                                      | Interrupt:12 Base address:0xd400
                                      |

                                      | eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HW 00:10:4B:1C:50:X
                                      | inet addr: 192.168.3.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
                                      | UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTV:3924 Metric:1
                                      | RX packets:325687 errors:0 dropped:0
                                      | overruns:0 frame:0
                                      | TX packets:356795 errors:0 dropped:0
                                      | overruns:0 carrier:0
                                      | Interrupt:12 Base address:0xd600
                                      |

                                      | samting like that :)
                                      |
                                      | --- Ryan Go <ryan@...> wrote:
                                      |
                                      |>You could only share your internet to one
                                      |>workstation (that makes 2
                                      |>including the "server/router"). If you use DON'T a
                                      |>hub/switch, and you
                                      |>have only ONE nic.
                                      |>
                                      |>If you have more than one NIC, then you would need
                                      |>to add route rules
                                      |>between them. If you could be more specific on what
                                      |>type of setup you are
                                      |>trying to achieve, it would be better.
                                      |>
                                      |>Cheers,

                                      ^yan

                                      |>---
                                      |>Ryan Go
                                      |>mailto: <ryan at rentec dot com>
                                      |>
                                      |>On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, marvin carredo wrote:
                                      |>

                                      |>>any one here tried to share their internet to 2 or
                                      |>>more workstation with out using a hub? how do u do
                                      |>
                                      |>it?
                                      |>
                                      |>>i got eth0 for internet address while
                                      |>
                                      |>eth1,eth2,eth3
                                      |>
                                      |>>for local address i got an additional reply of no
                                      |>
                                      |>ICMP
                                      |>
                                      |>>reply (no echo-reply or something like that) when

                                      |>>ping the router.

                                      |>>Sign up for SBC Yahoo! Dial - First Month Free
                                      |>>http://sbc.yahoo.com

                                      |>ce-gnu-lug@...
                                      |>
                                      |>>To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
                                      |>>
                                      |>>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                                      |>
                                      |>Terms of Service.

                                      - --
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 8, 2002
                                        So what are you trying to achieve then?

                                        You basically have 3 NICs ..... is there a modem connected somewhere? what
                                        would the setup be?

                                        << ryan

                                      • howard@mu.edu.ph
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 9, 2002
                                          guyz,

                                          what do you think about this one....

                                          http://www.asti.dost.gov.ph/2002proj/open.html

                                          and this one...

                                          http://bayanihan.asti.dost.gov.ph/

                                          H o w a r d R. B a g c a t
                                          WebAdmin, MUWeb (Edition 4) Project
                                          Systems Programmer, RBT & MUMC Project
                                          Misamis University
                                          Ozamiz City, Philippines

                                          office: 088 521 0367 local 109
                                          mobile: 63 0919 5536179
                                          email : howard@...

                                          Imagination is more important than knowledge
                                          -Albert Einstein

                                          Sulat @... v.1.0 (Stable)
                                          An extended module for MUWeb4 Project of Howard R. Bagcat
                                          Powered by GNU General Public License softwares.
                                        • marvin carredo
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 9, 2002
                                            hahaha!! yah! its cut and paste sorry :)
                                            i have already done that netmaskt thing (automatic)
                                            the 192.168.1.10 thats the WAN(if your talking bout
                                            the internet address)
                                            so thats 192.168.1.10<<===internet address(eth0)
                                            192.168.2.X<<====local address(eth1)
                                            192.168.3.X<<====local address(eth2)

                                            yan i guess u now get get wat i mean. sharing internet
                                            using multiple nic

                                            http://sbc.yahoo.com