Re: [ce-gnu-lug] Postgres!

  • John Clark Naldoza
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hello Howard,

      howard@... wrote:

      > guyz! i just migrated our student information, enrolment system and
      > some student information (from registrar and accounting offices)
      > to postgreSQL. i crossed my fingers and hmm dang it works..

      That's great to hear... =)

      > john! thanks for putting us in the linux map! we're doing something
      > new in ozamiz!.. hehehhe

      I didn't do a lot, I just gave you guys a little knudge... You already
      had the tools with you =)

      > for now, we're workin on the front-end scripts (php)...

      Cool! And I thought PHP was worthless =P =)

      Cheers,

      John Clark
      --
      /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez (\
      / ) Software Design Engineer III ( \

      "Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
      done"
      --Linus Torvalds
    • Vergil Cola
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 6, 2002
        John,

        > for now, we're workin on the front-end scripts
        (php)...

        > Cool! And I thought PHP was worthless =P =)

        PHP was a great help to us. Be reminded that there
        were lots of PHP fans in here (or i'm the only one?).
        :-)

        Vergil

        http://mail.yahoo.com/
      • Darryl Ocampo
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 7, 2002
          > John,
          >

          > > for now, we're workin on the front-end scripts
          > (php)...
          > >

          > > Cool! And I thought PHP was worthless =P =)
          >
          > PHP was a great help to us. Be reminded that there
          > were lots of PHP fans in here (or i'm the only one?).
          > :-)
          >

          > Vergil

          count me too....!!! (i'm using php with mysql just for a small web enabled
          transaction)

          cheers;

          ian perez
        • John Clark Naldoza
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 7, 2002
            I believe I was being sarcastic =)

            By the way, just a little FYI, I'm resigning from NEC and moving over to
            Cleverlearn Learning Asia, Inc.

            Reason(s):
            Moolah =)

            heheheh

            Cheers,

            John Clark

            --
            /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez (\
            / ) Software Design Engineer III ( \
            _( (_ _ Open Source Software Consultant _) )_
            (((\ \> /_> Spectral Wave Manager <_\ </ /)))
            (\\\\ \_/ / NEC Telecom Software Phils., Inc. \ \_/ ////)
            \ / \ /
            \ _/ phone: (+63 32) 233-9142 loc. 3115 \_ /
            / / cellphone: (+63 919) 385-6053 \ \
            / / email: njclark@... \ \

            "Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
            done"
            --Linus Torvalds
          • Glenn Vismanos Prialde
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 7, 2002
              for as long as PHP is better than java on the web im pro PHP lol!!!

              On 07 Mar 2002 18:27 PHT you wrote:

              > > John,
              > >

              > > > for now, we're workin on the front-end scripts
              > > (php)...
              > > >

              > > > Cool! And I thought PHP was worthless =P =)
              > >
              > > PHP was a great help to us. Be reminded that there
              > > were lots of PHP fans in here (or i'm the only one?).
              > > :-)
              > >

              > > Vergil
              > >

              > count me too....!!! (i'm using php with mysql just for a small web enabled
              > transaction)
              >

              > cheers;
              >
              > ian perez

            • Daniel Vasquez Demecillo II
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 8, 2002
                glenn,

                i don't know/have not used php (yet) but i code in java on the server
                side (servlets,EJBs,...), and i think java does the job quite nicely.

                it probably boils down to preference or what you're trying to
                accomplish, project wise.
                maybe on some projects php is best suited, on others java or perl maybe,
                shell scripts even ;-)

                peace.

                danny

                On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 17:15, Glenn Vismanos Prialde wrote:
                > for as long as PHP is better than java on the web im pro PHP lol!!!
                >

                > On 07 Mar 2002 18:27 PHT you wrote:
                >
                > > > John,

                > > > (php)...

                > > > PHP was a great help to us. Be reminded that there
                > > > were lots of PHP fans in here (or i'm the only one?).
                > > > :-)
                > > >

                > > > Vergil
                > > >

                > > count me too....!!! (i'm using php with mysql just for a small web enabled
                > > transaction)
                > >

                > > cheers;
                > >
                > > ian perez

              • Carlo Florendo
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 8, 2002
                  PHP can do all that java servlets can do. There's only one difference: PHP is faster =)
                  If one wants to make web apps on the fly, Shell scripts can't do a lot like PHP unless
                  of course one is referring to Python or Perl =)

                  > i don't know/have not used php (yet) but i code in java on the server
                  > side (servlets,EJBs,...), and i think java does the job quite nicely.
                  >
                  > it probably boils down to preference or what you're trying to
                  > accomplish, project wise.
                  > maybe on some projects php is best suited, on others java or perl maybe,
                  > shell scripts even ;-)
                  >
                  > peace.
                  >

                  > danny
                  >

                  > On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 17:15, Glenn Vismanos Prialde wrote:
                  > > for as long as PHP is better than java on the web im pro PHP lol!!!

                  > > > count me too....!!! (i'm using php with mysql just for a small web enabled
                  > > > transaction)
                  > > >

                  > > > cheers;
                  > > >
                  > > > ian perez

                • Glenn Vismanos Prialde
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 8, 2002
                    On 08 Mar 2002 19:06 PHT you wrote:

                    > PHP can do all that java servlets can do. There's only one difference: PHP is faster =)

                    exactly... no offense to java coders for i my self do have sometime in my life coded in java.... but its the fact the counts that when it comes to the web PHP is faster and beside PHP can do all the things java can, but then again there is no perfect lang. or scripts or what so ever it will just depend on the users needs as well as the coder hehehe.

                    ;)

                    glenn

                    > If one wants to make web apps on the fly, Shell scripts can't do a lot like PHP unless
                    > of course one is referring to Python or Perl =)

                  • Darryl Ocampo
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 8, 2002
                      Hi little john,

                      Good luck bai!

                      More Power!

                      cheers;

                      Ian Perez

                      > By the way, just a little FYI, I'm resigning from NEC and moving over to
                      > Cleverlearn Learning Asia, Inc.
                      >
                      > Reason(s):
                      > Moolah =)
                      >

                      > heheheh
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      >

                      > John Clark
                      >

                      > Darryl Ocampo wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > John,

                      > > > (php)...

                      > > > PHP was a great help to us. Be reminded that there
                      > > > were lots of PHP fans in here (or i'm the only one?).
                      > > > :-)
                      > > >

                      > > > Vergil
                      > > >

                      > > count me too....!!! (i'm using php with mysql just for a small web
                      enabled
                      > > transaction)
                      > >
                      > > cheers;
                      > >
                      > > ian perez
                      > >

                      > --
                      > /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez (\
                      > / ) Software Design Engineer III ( \
                      > _( (_ _ Open Source Software Consultant _) )_
                      > (((\ \> /_> Spectral Wave Manager <_\ </ /)))
                      > (\\\\ \_/ / NEC Telecom Software Phils., Inc. \ \_/ ////)
                      > \ / \ /
                      > \ _/ phone: (+63 32) 233-9142 loc. 3115 \_ /
                      > / / cellphone: (+63 919) 385-6053 \ \
                      > / / email: njclark@... \ \
                      >

                      > "Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
                      > done"
                      > --Linus Torvalds

                    • Ryan Go
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 8, 2002
                        Ayu ayu bay .....wala ko angal basta linux man kaha gihapun imu trabaho

                        heheheheh :P

                        Goodluck bay ...

                        << ryan

                        On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, John Clark Naldoza wrote:

                        > I believe I was being sarcastic =)
                        >
                        > By the way, just a little FYI, I'm resigning from NEC and moving over to
                        > Cleverlearn Learning Asia, Inc.
                        >
                        > Reason(s):
                        > Moolah =)
                        >

                        > heheheh
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >

                        > John Clark
                        >

                        > Darryl Ocampo wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > John,

                        > > > (php)...

                        > > > PHP was a great help to us. Be reminded that there
                        > > > were lots of PHP fans in here (or i'm the only one?).
                        > > > :-)
                        > > >

                        > > > Vergil
                        > > >

                        > > count me too....!!! (i'm using php with mysql just for a small web
                        > enabled
                        > > transaction)
                        > >
                        > > cheers;
                        > >
                        > > ian perez
                        > >

                        > --
                        > /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez (\
                        > / ) Software Design Engineer III ( \
                        > _( (_ _ Open Source Software Consultant _) )_
                        > (((\ \> /_> Spectral Wave Manager <_\ </ /)))
                        > (\\\\ \_/ / NEC Telecom Software Phils., Inc. \ \_/ ////)
                        > \ / \ /
                        > \ _/ phone: (+63 32) 233-9142 loc. 3115 \_ /
                        > / / cellphone: (+63 919) 385-6053 \ \
                        > / / email: njclark@... \ \
                        >

                        > "Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
                        > done"
                        > --Linus Torvalds
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Vergil Cola
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 8, 2002
                          It generally bois down to your web server, If your
                          server can support PHP, then go with it. If it
                          supports java servlets as well - then that would be
                          your choice.

                          I'm forced to use PHP, since thats the only
                          server-side scripting lang available aside from Perl
                          (on our servers).

                          Vergil

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 10, 2002
                            guys, as i've said i hv not used php and i'm gonna hv to take your word
                            for it that php is faster than java (servlets or jsp?), BUT... but that
                            argument might be subjective. in what type of web applications? can it
                            really scale better than a j2ee application that accesses big RDBMSes?
                            remember guys, java on the server-side today doesn't necessarily mean
                            just servlets. you can mix in JSPs, EJBs and you hv one heck of a
                            platform where you can develop web apps that truly scales.

                            but if someone could tell me that they've been there, done that and
                            they're now using PHP in doing just that. then, i'll start learning PHP
                            tom ;-)

                            peace.

                            danny.

                            On Sat, 2002-03-09 at 04:35, Glenn Vismanos Prialde wrote:
                            > On 08 Mar 2002 19:06 PHT you wrote:
                            >
                            > > PHP can do all that java servlets can do. There's only one difference: PHP is faster =)
                            >
                            > exactly... no offense to java coders for i my self do have sometime in my life coded in java.... but its the fact the counts that when it comes to the web PHP is faster and beside PHP can do all the things java can, but then again there is no perfect lang. or scripts or what so ever it will just depend on the users needs as well as the coder hehehe.
                            >
                            > ;)
                            >
                            > glenn
                            >

                            > > If one wants to make web apps on the fly, Shell scripts can't do a lot like PHP unless
                            > > of course one is referring to Python or Perl =)

                          • John Clark Naldoza
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 10, 2002
                              Hola,

                              I believe this thread is about Web Application Development. RDBMS?
                              Which one do you need? Mail? SMTP.. :) Need to talk to Java Servlets
                              or EJBs, people at NEC are trying that already, and it's workin'
                              accordingly.

                              As to whether or not PHP is faster? That is subjective.
                              -> If we're talking about overall development, YES PHP IS FASTER.
                              -> If we're talking about integration with different products, what
                              do you need?
                              -> If you're looking for speed, in terms of performance... And you
                              have PHP 4.1, I suggest you use Zend Accelerator.

                              I say to each his own... :) If you don't like to learn about PHP,
                              because you're happy with Java, and it's hype, then so be it. If you're
                              willing to experience something new, then it maybe high time to discuss
                              it further, in another mailing list :)

                              Cheers,

                              John Clark

                              P.S. Dom called me a Java bigot, perhaps I am :)