Re: [ce-gnu-lug] Re: DOS apps in linux?

  • andrew john young
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2 5:18 PM
      Peace!

      Yes, it is possible to run old DOS programs under linux using DOSEMU. When
      configured properly you can even run graphic intensive programs., with
      limitations...

      Personally, I have successfully used DOSEMU for the HIGH-School here in SWU
      running programs like Tubo Pascal and Basica (sheesh, Basica... imagine that...
      I'm still pushing for C/C++) both running programs that uses graphics and
      sounds (ummmm, sounds like the old pacman sound.. beeps and bleeps abound!)

      But again, there are limitations to what DOSEMU can do... maybe someone in the
      list can give a better alternative (maybe TWIN? or WINE? but I havent tried
      yet)

      GOD BLESS!
      --- Eben Ramos <eben_r@...> wrote:
      > elr: that is an interesting question, rik. i'm copying in ce-gnu-lug to see
      > what comes up. btw, what DOS programs are these? not duckhunt, i hope =) .
      >
      > rik writes:
      >
      > > Is it possible to run some of my old DOS programs in LINUX?
      > >
      > > rik

      > > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
      > > Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
      > > Refill any ink cartridge for less!
      > > Includes black and color ink.
      > > http://us.click.yahoo.com/QzLWzD/MkNDAA/ySSFAA/IHFolB/TM
      > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

      > email, and other value-added tools and services to eMPOWER your business
      > when you subscribe to http://www.mybizlinks.net !!!

      =====

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • John Clark Naldoza y Lopez
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2 5:44 PM
        Eben Ramos wrote:

        > elr: that is an interesting question, rik. i'm copying in ce-gnu-lug to see
        > what comes up. btw, what DOS programs are these? not duckhunt, i hope =) .
        >
        > rik writes:
        >
        > > Is it possible to run some of my old DOS programs in LINUX?

        DOSEMU... Be sure to read the fine manuals...

        current version is 1.0.1, I believe. And it works like a charm... For
        most applications...

        Cheers,

        John Clark

        --
        /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez (\
        / ) Software Design Engineer III ( \

        "Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
        done"
        --Linus Torvalds
      • mike schmeisser
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3 10:58 AM
          On Sunday 02 December 2001 05:18 pm, andrew john young wrote:

          > a better alternative (maybe TWIN? or WINE?

          Wine like WIN E-mulator is for windows, even 3.x does work.
          You may use it for Windows, for DOS use a DOS emulator.

          Mike

          "I am chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and scientists build
          rhythms.
          I am the spirit with which your children and clowns laugh in happy anarchy.
          I am chaos. I am alive, and tell you that you are free"

          - Eris, Goddess Of Chaos, Discord & Confusion