pSeries Server aka RS/6000

  • dominique@cimafranca.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2001
      William / Horatio,

      > why doesn't it come out in plug. i would like to get my hands on a
      > RS/6000. is IBM to loan the ateneo de manila university an RS/6000
      > for research purposes of course ;-)

      It's easier than you think. The question is: have you asked before?

      IBM usually gives hefty educational discounts to universities towards the purchase of IBM hardware or software. This is one of the ways. You can bring this up with your dean, chairman, or administrator so that they can raise the request to our eServer group.

      As regards R&D, it's a long shot, but you have to put forward a proposal first. The proposal has to have a specific timeframe, clear objectives, and measurable results.

      I do have a proposal for the universities out there (and bear in mind, in keeping with the unofficial nature of this forum, this is not a official statement from IBM) --

      AIX 5L has an affinity with Linux. AIX affinity with Linux includes Linux application source compatibility, compliance with emerging Linux standards, and a GNU Linux build-time environment with GNU and other open source tools and utilities.

      If your university can demonstrate exceptional skills with GNU, Linux, and Unix; if you're willing to commit student resources to performing porting work for popular applications, i.e., creating RPMs for AIX, stress-testing, documentation, etc.; if you're willing to have the output of this work published for general use; well, maybe, just maybe, I might be able to swing the loan of a pSeries server for you.

      Hey, no promises now. But if you're serious, drop me a note, and let's explore the possibilities. (And if I have to turn it down, please don't take it personally.)
    • ralph a bacolod
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2001
        does an RS/6000 server have one of those brand new ITANIUM chips? :-)
        --

        On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 12:47:04
        dominique wrote:
        >William / Horatio,
        >
        >> why doesn't it come out in plug. i would like to get my hands on a
        >> RS/6000. is IBM to loan the ateneo de manila university an RS/6000
        >> for research purposes of course ;-)
        >
        >It's easier than you think. The question is: have you asked before?
        >
        >IBM usually gives hefty educational discounts to universities towards the purchase of IBM hardware or software. This is one of the ways. You can bring this up with your dean, chairman, or administrator so that they can raise the request to our eServer group.
        >
        >As regards R&D, it's a long shot, but you have to put forward a proposal first. The proposal has to have a specific timeframe, clear objectives, and measurable results.
        >
        >I do have a proposal for the universities out there (and bear in mind, in keeping with the unofficial nature of this forum, this is not a official statement from IBM) --
        >
        >AIX 5L has an affinity with Linux. AIX affinity with Linux includes Linux application source compatibility, compliance with emerging Linux standards, and a GNU Linux build-time environment with GNU and other open source tools and utilities.
        >
        >If your university can demonstrate exceptional skills with GNU, Linux, and Unix; if you're willing to commit student resources to performing porting work for popular applications, i.e., creating RPMs for AIX, stress-testing, documentation, etc.; if you're willing to have the output of this work published for general use; well, maybe, just maybe, I might be able to swing the loan of a pSeries server for you.
        >
        >Hey, no promises now. But if you're serious, drop me a note, and let's explore the possibilities. (And if I have to turn it down, please don't take it personally.)

        Get 250 color business cards for FREE!
      • John Clark Naldoza y Lopez
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 2, 2001
          ralph a bacolod wrote:

          > does an RS/6000 server have one of those brand new ITANIUM chips? :-)

          Hmmm.... Unless Intel is coming out with RISC chips, ahhh I don't think
          so...;-)

          --
          /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez (\
          / ) Software Design Engineer II ( \