inode problem

  • Southern Asia-Pacific Division o
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 11, 2000
      Hi People!

      Is anybody breathing?
      Can anyone help me with this problem?
      One of my linux boxes went haywire when I restarted it from a power failure last nite.

      It forced check the /dev/sda6 and has this message:

      Inode 2156607 has illegal block(s)
      /dev/sda6: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY (i.e. without -a or -p options)

      It gave me shell but fsck won't run.
      I don't have the boot disk for this certain machine.
      I only have the TOMS boot disk but fsck won't run either.

      Lots of thank you for the previous helps!!!

      Jun Tanamal
      **&(^&*%^*$&##SysAd
      Southern Asia-Pacific Div
      of the S.D.A.
      Silang, Cavite
      Philippines
    • Horatio B. Bogbindero
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 11, 2000
        well you can download some boot disk from the net with a different
        computer or get one off the installation. this boot disk is them used to
        boot the system. then do a fsck /dev/sda6 on the hard disk.

        good luck.

        On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Southern Asia-Pacific Division o wrote:

        > Hi People!
        >
        > Is anybody breathing?
        > Can anyone help me with this problem?
        > One of my linux boxes went haywire when I restarted it from a power failure last nite.
        >
        > It forced check the /dev/sda6 and has this message:
        >
        > Inode 2156607 has illegal block(s)
        > /dev/sda6: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY (i.e. without -a or -p options)
        >
        > It gave me shell but fsck won't run.
        > I don't have the boot disk for this certain machine.
        > I only have the TOMS boot disk but fsck won't run either.
        >
        > Lots of thank you for the previous helps!!!
        >

        > Jun Tanamal
        > **&(^&*%^*$&##SysAd
        > Southern Asia-Pacific Div
        > of the S.D.A.
        > Silang, Cavite
        > Philippines

        ---------------------
        william.s.yu@...

        "It's a dog-eat-dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milkbone underware."
        -- Norm, from _Cheers_
      • Ryan F. Go
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 11, 2000
          On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Southern Asia-Pacific Division o wrote:

          > Hi People!
          >
          > Is anybody breathing?
          > Can anyone help me with this problem?
          > One of my linux boxes went haywire when I restarted it from a power failure last nite.
          >
          > It forced check the /dev/sda6 and has this message:
          >
          > Inode 2156607 has illegal block(s)
          > /dev/sda6: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY (i.e. without -a or -p options)

          This usually happens when the box hasn't completed writing to the disk
          and the power went out.

          > It gave me shell but fsck won't run.
          > I don't have the boot disk for this certain machine.
          > I only have the TOMS boot disk but fsck won't run either.
          >
          > Lots of thank you for the previous helps!!!

          It usuallly asks you to enter the root password and then it gives you
          /bin/bash or /bin/sh

          From the shell, try running:

          # /sbin/e2fsck /dev/sda6

          After completing that, reboot and everything should be fine

          HTH,
          Yan

          > Jun Tanamal
          > **&(^&*%^*$&##SysAd
          > Southern Asia-Pacific Div
          > of the S.D.A.
          > Silang, Cavite
          > Philippines

          Yan
          ---
          Ryan F. Go
          Linux - Unix Systems Administrator
          Center for Network Management and Services
          University of San Carlos
          Tel: +6332 3466268 Fax: +6332 3466265
          Mobile: +63917 7160153
        • John Clark L. Naldoza
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 11, 2000
            Hello Boyz and Galz...;-)

            > > Hi People!
            > >
            > > Is anybody breathing?

            Of course... Fresh air... conditioning...;-)

            > > Can anyone help me with this problem?

            Just go ahead... Make our day..;-)

            > > One of my linux boxes went haywire when I restarted it from a power failure last nite.

            Ouch... heheheh

            > > It forced check the /dev/sda6 and has this message:

            SCSI Harddisk drive eh...;-)

            > > Inode 2156607 has illegal block(s)
            > > /dev/sda6: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY (i.e. without -a or -p options)
            >
            > This usually happens when the box hasn't completed writing to the disk
            > and the power went out.

            No comment...;-)

            > > It gave me shell but fsck won't run.
            > > I don't have the boot disk for this certain machine.
            > > I only have the TOMS boot disk but fsck won't run either.
            > >
            > > Lots of thank you for the previous helps!!!
            > >

            > It usuallly asks you to enter the root password and then it gives you
            > /bin/bash or /bin/sh
            >
            > >From the shell, try running:
            >
            > # /sbin/e2fsck /dev/sda6
            >
            > After completing that, reboot and everything should be fine

            I believe we may have overlooked one possibility... The driver for the
            SCSI card has not been loaded...;-)

            If that is the case, the you'll have to manually load the device drive
            via modprobe <driver_name>

            After which, you can then proceed to issue an e2fsck ...;-)

            Hope that helps...;-)

            Cheers,

            John Clark
          • Southern Asia-Pacific Division o
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 11, 2000
              'Yam & 'Yan,

              Thank you for the help! I was able to restore it.
              I used the e2fsck command in TOMS boot disk.

              Jun Tanamal
              !!!!! SysAd
              Southern Asia-Pacific Div
              of the S.D.A.
              Silang, Cavite
              Philippines
            • Southern Asia-Pacific Division o
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 11, 2000
                Thank you John!
                Havagoodday!

                On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 John Clark L. Naldoza wrote:

                > Hello Boyz and Galz...;-)
                >

                > > > Hi People!
                > > >
                > > > Is anybody breathing?
                >
                > Of course... Fresh air... conditioning...;-)
                >
                > > > Can anyone help me with this problem?
                >
                > Just go ahead... Make our day..;-)

                > > nite.
                >
                > Ouch... heheheh
                >

                > > > It forced check the /dev/sda6 and has this message:
                >
                > SCSI Harddisk drive eh...;-)
                >

                > > > Inode 2156607 has illegal block(s)
                > >

                > > This usually happens when the box hasn't completed writing to the disk
                > > and the power went out.
                >
                > No comment...;-)
                >

                > > > It gave me shell but fsck won't run.
                > > > I don't have the boot disk for this certain machine.
                > > > I only have the TOMS boot disk but fsck won't run either.
                > > >
                > > > Lots of thank you for the previous helps!!!
                > > >

                > > It usuallly asks you to enter the root password and then it gives you
                > > /bin/bash or /bin/sh
                > >
                > > >From the shell, try running:
                > >
                > > # /sbin/e2fsck /dev/sda6
                > >
                > > After completing that, reboot and everything should be fine
                > >

                > I believe we may have overlooked one possibility... The driver for the
                > SCSI card has not been loaded...;-)
                >
                > If that is the case, the you'll have to manually load the device drive
                > via modprobe <driver_name>
                >
                > After which, you can then proceed to issue an e2fsck ...;-)
                >
                > Hope that helps...;-)
                >

                > Cheers,
                >

                > John Clark

                Jun Tanamal
                SysAd
                Southern Asia-Pacific Div
                of the S.D.A.
                Silang, Cavite
                Philippines
              • Southern Asia-Pacific Division o
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 11, 2000
                  Hi people!

                  This is to wake someone out there....
                  I'm installing a new network printer and I'm having a problem of pinging using the hostname that I made(in the printer server). I'm assigning a static IP address to the this host. I also added its MAC address into the dhcpd.conf, which my predecessor would normally do. Also I added an entry under the other printers' entry in /var/named/db files and incremented the serial number before restarting named. I restarted dhcpd also. Even then the hostname is not recognized by the dns. Any comments or suggestions on how to do it the right way?
                  Thanks in advance...

                  Jun Tanamal