Re: Git or SVN?

  • Clint
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2011
      Peace!

      Jeff,

      Are you making a git repository? Or "checkout" a git repository?

      God bless
      Clint

      --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Philip Tan <jeffphiltan@...> wrote:

      > any takers? =/
      >
      > On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Jeffrey Philip Tan
      > <jeffphiltan@...>wrote:
      >
      > > guys,
      > >
      > > just had a thought... how do you change the default location where GIT
      > > stores the files in the server...
      > > example.. it store the files in /etc/blah/blah/blah/repo ... i want to
      > > change the location to.... /data/repo/git/myfiles
      > >
      > > thanks!
      > >

      > > On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Jeffrey Philip Tan <jeffphiltan@...
      > > > wrote:
      > >
      > >> yes it would be good if ports are open, sadly that's not the case :(

      > >> --
      > >> Profile About.Me <http://about.me/chaoz/bio>
      > >>

      > > --
      > > Profile About.Me <http://about.me/chaoz/bio>
      > >

      > --
      > Profile About.Me <http://about.me/chaoz/bio>

    • Jeffrey Philip Tan
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2011
        making actually... checking in code... but before starting i want to move the actual file location in the server to a partition i prepared for data repository, when i format, i dont disturb the files :D

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 18, 2011
          followup question... from what I understand.. for each user in linux, he.she will have a .git folder under her user folder, which will store the repository?

        • RYan
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 18, 2011
            On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Jeffrey Philip Tan <jeffphiltan@...> wrote:

            followup question... from what I understand.. for each user in linux, he.she will have a .git folder under her user folder, which will store the repository?

            Is this on the server side (shared repository)? or client side? Also what software did you decide to use for server side (e.g. gitosis?)

            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 18, 2011
              its server side, i just freshly installed git, no gitosis...

            • John Clark Naldoza
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 18, 2011
                Hi Jeff,

                I'm assuming you are going to be using git.. If so, you can do a full
                clone of the entire project on a system and then proceed with
                re-installing everything and put it back via push (only when using a
                fresh repository) =)

                This also provides some helpful hints--
                http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~blynn/gitmagic/ch03.html

                Under the section Ultimate Backups, not really any specific tool or
                command, just some background info on the tool that you are using and
                understanding how a "clone" is effectively a backup...

                Hope that helps.

                Best regards,

                John Clark

                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 18, 2011
                  Hey John,

                  This looks useful, I'll play around with this in the coming days :)

                  one note though, on my git server ( ubuntu server 10.04 LTS ) i have a partiotion ( ex. /data )
                  and want all of the git codes be placed there instead of the standard folder location. Possible? :D

                  Thanks

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 29, 2012
                    I was able to look at this while trying out things.. will this work? can anyone verify? :D

                    git has $GIT_DIR  to change directory, so if my reading is right and have not gone back to grade school level comprehension,
                    this will change my directory from /home/username/.git to /whatever/my/dir/.git