DNS server configurations using Bind9

  • codbla
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
      Good day!

      Can somebody help me and enlighten me regarding DNS server,
      It is my first time to configure this type of server and little bit confused of what to put for the address(es).

      I have a public IP of 120.60.220.250 with subnet of 255.255.255.240 and gateway is 125.60.220.254, connected to the Internet

      Additional IPs given to the ISP is 121.55.100.193/29 (not used but enabled by default of the ISP) because i could ping the range IPs but redirect to our gateway 125.60.220.254

      In our LAN side, 10.0.150.254/26 which act as a proxy.

      My questions now is what will be the IP to used for the DNS? in which i could browse my domain name www.ambotlang.edu.ph (for example).
      I just based my bind9 configurations in the movie

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed4q5FWJfdc&feature=related

      Is it the public IP, or additional IPs given by the ISP? or do i need to open the port 53? where?

      Hope somebody helps me. Thank you very much in advance. I don't have any experts friends in the remote area of Mindanao.

      Regards,

      MarioBro
    • gleen dalaorao
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
        hi,

        what particular place are you in mindanao? are you from the academe?

        regarding dns, you can use any of those public addresses given by your ISP for your DNS.

        I suggest also that you shouldnt have given your public ip addresses here or just a fictitious ip addressess ;-) for your security

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
          hello,

          btw the ip addresses given are all fictitious, that's just a dummy. Viola! i finally able to browse our site via our domain name. Thanks for the idea. I used public IPs using one server, what i did make a VPN for the other public IPs.

          regarding your questions, I am from MisOcc dayo lang ako dito. Bago lang yung dns namin kasi yung bagong president namin pumayag agad na maggawa ng website, batan-on og gusto'g kausaban.

          Any idea what good mail server to put up?

          Hope you can help me on this matter guys.

          Matsalam,

          MarioBro

          --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, gleen dalaorao <gleen_dalaorao@...> wrote:

          > hi,
          >
          > what particular place are you in mindanao? are you from the academe?
          >
          > regarding dns, you can use any of those public addresses given by your ISP for your DNS.
          >
          > I suggest also that you shouldnt have given your public ip addresses here or just a fictitious ip addressess ;-) for your security

        • gleen dalaorao
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
            Hello,

            Its good that you've solved your problem, hehehe, it seems that there is a big opportunity for IT there, ;-)

            If i were you i wont install any mail server, its hard to maintain, huhhhh...., hehe

            i suggest you just use some free mail hosting server like live@edu of microsoft or some others like the one that we have set up.

            btw the ip addresses given are all fictitious, that's just a dummy. Viola! i finally able to browse our site via our domain name. Thanks for the idea. I used public IPs using one server, what i did make a VPN for the other public IPs.

            regarding your questions, I am from MisOcc dayo lang ako dito. Bago lang yung dns namin kasi yung bagong president namin pumayag agad na maggawa ng website, batan-on og gusto'g kausaban.

            Any idea what good mail server to put up?

            Hope you can help me on this matter guys.

            Matsalam,

            MarioBro

            --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, gleen dalaorao <gleen_dalaorao@...> wrote:

            > hi,
            >
            > what particular place are you in mindanao? are you from the academe?
            >
            > regarding dns, you can use any of those public addresses given by your ISP for your DNS.
            >
            > I suggest also that you shouldnt have given your public ip addresses here or just a fictitious ip addressess ;-) for your security

          • Ralph Bacolod
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
              Where's the fun on that ?

              Postfix is really easy to setup and very secure.

              Ralph Bacolod ,MT
              http://devora.homelinux.org
              twitter: @rafiks

              From: gleen dalaorao <gleen_dalaorao@...>
              Sender: ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 19:34:56 +0800 (SGT)
              To: <ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com

              Hello,

              Its good that you've solved your problem, hehehe, it seems that there is a big opportunity for IT there, ;-)

              If i were you i wont install any mail server, its hard to maintain, huhhhh...., hehe

              i suggest you just use some free mail hosting server like live@edu of microsoft or some others like the one that we have set up.

              btw the ip addresses given are all fictitious, that's just a dummy. Viola! i finally able to browse our site via our domain name. Thanks for the idea. I used public IPs using one server, what i did make a VPN for the other public IPs.

              regarding your questions, I am from MisOcc dayo lang ako dito. Bago lang yung dns namin kasi yung bagong president namin pumayag agad na maggawa ng website, batan-on og gusto'g kausaban.

              Any idea what good mail server to put up?

              Hope you can help me on this matter guys.

              Matsalam,

              MarioBro

              --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, gleen dalaorao <gleen_dalaorao@...> wrote:

              > hi,
              >
              > what particular place are you in mindanao? are you from the academe?
              >
              > regarding dns, you can use any of those public addresses given by your ISP for your DNS.
              >
              > I suggest also that you shouldnt have given your public ip addresses here or just a fictitious ip addressess ;-) for your security

            • RYan

                btw the ip addresses given are all fictitious, that's just a dummy. Viola! i finally able to browse our site via our domain name. Thanks for the idea. I used public IPs using one server, what i did make a VPN for the other public IPs.

                regarding your questions, I am from MisOcc dayo lang ako dito. Bago lang yung dns namin kasi yung bagong president namin pumayag agad na maggawa ng website, batan-on og gusto'g kausaban.

                Any idea what good mail server to put up?

                Hope you can help me on this matter guys.

                Matsalam,

                MarioBro

                --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, gleen dalaorao <gleen_dalaorao@...> wrote:

                > hi,
                >
                > what particular place are you in mindanao? are you from the academe?
                >
                > regarding dns, you can use any of those public addresses given by your ISP for your DNS.
                >
                > I suggest also that you shouldnt have given your public ip addresses here or just a fictitious ip addressess ;-) for your security

              • John Clark Naldoza
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
                  Hi,

                  I would suggest that you also try out Sogo (no not Sogo Hotel ;) )

                  http://www.sogo.nu/

                  Best regards,

                  John Clark

                • Jeffrey Philip Tan
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
                    im in love with google apps  =)

                    --
                    Profile About.Me

                  • codbla
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
                      thanks for the suggestion. I also plan to integrate with gmail, coz i used to see one of my friend before that he login in gmail where I able to saw the integration of their domain.

                      --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Philip Tan <jeffphiltan@...> wrote:

                      > im in love with google apps =)
                      >
                      > On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 9:40 PM, John Clark Naldoza <njclark@...>wrote:
                      >

                      > > Hi,
                      > >
                      > > I would suggest that you also try out Sogo (no not Sogo Hotel ;) )
                      > >
                      > > http://www.sogo.nu/
                      > >
                      > > Best regards,
                      > >
                      > > John Clark
                      > >
                      > > On 4/3/11, RYan <lildaemon@...> wrote:
                      > > > I agree. Postfix for MTA, Dovecot for IMAP. If you need collaboration too
                      > > > (ala Exchange), you can use Zimbra instead.
                      > > >
                      > > > HTH,
                      > > > Yan

                    • codbla
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
                        thanks for the suggestion,but i want to experience configuring mail server manually. I want to improve my knowledge hehehe even you said "hard to maintain" but at least i able to try.

                        I have to see and navigate the live@edu. ty.

                        --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, gleen dalaorao <gleen_dalaorao@...> wrote:

                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > Its good that you've solved your problem, hehehe, it seems that there is a big opportunity for IT there, ;-)
                        >
                        > If i were you i wont install any mail server, its hard to maintain, huhhhh...., hehe
                        >
                        > i suggest you just use some free mail hosting server like live@edu of microsoft or some others like the one that we have set up.

                      • codbla
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
                          As i read some tutorials, they suggests it. But the problems is how to configure it, i have to burn my midnight candles to be able to understand how it works. thanks for the suggestion.

                          --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Bacolod" <rabacolod@...> wrote:

                          > Where's the fun on that ?
                          >
                          > Postfix is really easy to setup and very secure.
                          > Ralph Bacolod ,MT
                          > http://devora.homelinux.org
                          > twitter: @rafiks

                        • codbla
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
                            I didn't heard with zimbra, i keep a try. So far, as i read tutorials they suggest dovecot, postfix and the squirrelmail as the webmail.

                            thanks a lot.

                            MariBro

                            --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, RYan <lildaemon@...> wrote:

                            > I agree. Postfix for MTA, Dovecot for IMAP. If you need collaboration too
                            > (ala Exchange), you can use Zimbra instead.
                            >
                            > HTH,
                            > Yan
                            >
                            > On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Ralph Bacolod <rabacolod@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > > Where's the fun on that ?
                            > >
                            > > Postfix is really easy to setup and very secure.
                            > >
                            > > Ralph Bacolod ,MT
                            > > http://devora.homelinux.org
                            > > twitter: @rafiks
                            > > ------------------------------
                            > > *From: * gleen dalaorao <gleen_dalaorao@...>
                            > > *Sender: * ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com
                            > > *Date: *Sun, 3 Apr 2011 19:34:56 +0800 (SGT)
                            > > *To: *<ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com>
                            > > *ReplyTo: * ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com
                            > > *Subject: *Re: [ce-gnu-lug] Re: DNS server configurations using Bind9
                            > >

                            > > Hello,
                            > >
                            > > Its good that you've solved your problem, hehehe, it seems that there is a
                            > > big opportunity for IT there, ;-)
                            > >
                            > > If i were you i wont install any mail server, its hard to maintain,
                            > > huhhhh...., hehe
                            > >
                            > > i suggest you just use some free mail hosting server like live@edu of
                            > > microsoft or some others like the one that we have set up.

                          • codbla
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
                              As i went to their site, it is very nice coz it is a groupware server, but just newbie with it. For the other Sogo, i am familiar with. hehehe

                              Thanks a lot.

                              MarioBro

                              --- In ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com, John Clark Naldoza <njclark@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              >

                              > I would suggest that you also try out Sogo (no not Sogo Hotel ;) )
                              >
                              > http://www.sogo.nu/
                              >

                              > Best regards,
                              >

                              > John Clark
                              > On 4/3/11, RYan <lildaemon@...> wrote:
                              > > I agree. Postfix for MTA, Dovecot for IMAP. If you need collaboration too
                              > > (ala Exchange), you can use Zimbra instead.
                              > >
                              > > HTH,
                              > > Yan
                              > >
                              > > On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Ralph Bacolod <rabacolod@...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > >> Where's the fun on that ?
                              > >>
                              > >> Postfix is really easy to setup and very secure.
                              > >>
                              > >> Ralph Bacolod ,MT
                              > >> http://devora.homelinux.org
                              > >> twitter: @rafiks
                              > >> ------------------------------
                              > >> *From: * gleen dalaorao <gleen_dalaorao@...>
                              > >> *Sender: * ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com
                              > >> *Date: *Sun, 3 Apr 2011 19:34:56 +0800 (SGT)
                              > >> *To: *<ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com>
                              > >> *ReplyTo: * ce-gnu-lug@yahoogroups.com
                              > >> *Subject: *Re: [ce-gnu-lug] Re: DNS server configurations using Bind9
                              > >>

                              > >> Hello,
                              > >>
                              > >> Its good that you've solved your problem, hehehe, it seems that there is a
                              > >> big opportunity for IT there, ;-)
                              > >>
                              > >> If i were you i wont install any mail server, its hard to maintain,
                              > >> huhhhh...., hehe
                              > >>
                              > >> i suggest you just use some free mail hosting server like live@edu of
                              > >> microsoft or some others like the one that we have set up.

                            • strong alekhine
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 5, 2011
                                You can get out from those maintenance nightmare after you learn it :)