Joseph Schneider Haus

  • ullibon@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 15, 2009
      The above society has contacted us and is asking us to do a presentation on June 8th. Joseph Schneider Haua is in Kitchener. You can look it up online.

      I'm not receiving a whole lot of details from this place other than they want to see how gourds fit into a pioneer society. Well, to me it doesn't...at least not here in Canada, but I don't know everything.

      I've been asked to bring examples of gourds and gourd art. I've been told that we can sell our gourds. After that, she had no answers for me.

      This could be a good opportunity for us.

      I'll need help with this. I'll need examples of gourd art to take with me to this presentation.

      It's at 7 pm on June 8th.

      Bonnie
    • France Benoit
      Message 2 of 10 , May 15, 2009
        Hi Bonnie,

        I may have some nice infos:

        2 small native museums contacted me saying that natives use squashes and most possibly were trading gourds with neighbors from the south. There is a workshop going on in one of the museum for more then 10 years and she's presenting gourds a material natives were using.

        So here's a first! Natives Iroquoians were using gourds and most probably, the algonquins also.

        I put some gourds I worked on in their boutiques for tourists and schools trips.

        A+
        France
      • Barbara & Bruce Bellchambers
        Message 3 of 10 , May 15, 2009

          Hi Bonnie,

          Schiffer has a book out about historic (pioneer?) uses of gourds.  I did not get it, though Grantham books had a copy.  It had info on making canteens, plates, bowls, .... all out of gourds.

          Good luck!

          :-) Barbara

          On Fri, 15 May 2009 21:41:31 -0400, France Benoit wrote

          --

        • C Devine
          Message 4 of 10 , May 16, 2009
            One of the pioneer villages in Essex county had a gourd display.  They had long handled dippers hanging by the well for water, as well as canteen gourds.  I don't think gourds grew really well in the rest of Ontario, but the warmer areas probably did.
            I'm sure the early natives brought some up from the south when they migrated, and the pioneers adapted them to farm use.

            Catherine
            Author of Coiled Designs for Gourd Art
            Three Willows http://www.picturetrail.com/willows3_us
            Personal blog: http://catherinedevine.blogspot.com/

            To: cdngourdsociety@yahoogroups.com
            From: ullibon@...
            Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 01:32:30 +0000
            Subject: [cdngourdsociety] Joseph Schneider Haus

            The above society has contacted us and is asking us to do a presentation on June 8th. Joseph Schneider Haua is in Kitchener. You can look it up online.

            I'm not receiving a whole lot of details from this place other than they want to see how gourds fit into a pioneer society. Well, to me it doesn't...at least not here in Canada, but I don't know everything.

            I've been asked to bring examples of gourds and gourd art. I've been told that we can sell our gourds. After that, she had no answers for me.

            This could be a good opportunity for us.

            I'll need help with this. I'll need examples of gourd art to take with me to this presentation.

            It's at 7 pm on June 8th.

            Bonnie

            Internet Explorer 8 makes surfing easier. Get it now!
          • BONNIE MACLEOD
            Message 5 of 10 , May 16, 2009
              Hi France,

              Many thanks...this info will come in handy.

              Bonnie

              Message 6 of 10 , May 16, 2009
                Thanks Barbara...I'll look at getting this book.

                --

              • BONNIE MACLEOD
                Message 7 of 10 , May 16, 2009
                  Hi Catherine,

                  I have a dipper spoon that I made years ago and never did a thing with.  Guess I'll be soaking it in water over the next few weeks to get it seasoned.

                  Thanks,
                  Bonnie

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 16, 2009
                    WOW not much time!   Can I help?  Unfortunately I am working that evening but if
                    you REALLY need me, somethinhg could be arranged.

                    Adrienne

                    From: ullibon@rogers. com
                    Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 01:32:30 +0000

                    The above society has contacted us and is asking us to do a presentation on June 8th. Joseph Schneider Haua is in Kitchener. You can look it up online.

                    I'm not receiving a whole lot of details from this place other than they want to see how gourds fit into a pioneer society. Well, to me it doesn't...at least not here in Canada, but I don't know everything.

                    I've been asked to bring examples of gourds and gourd art. I've been told that we can sell our gourds. After that, she had no answers for me.

                    This could be a good opportunity for us.

                    I'll need help with this. I'll need examples of gourd art to take with me to this presentation.

                    It's at 7 pm on June 8th.

                    Bonnie

                    Internet Explorer 8 makes surfing easier. Get it now!

                    Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new Internet Explorer® 8. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free!
                  • C Devine
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 17, 2009
                      Hi Bonnie,
                      I don't have any local examples of uses of gourds, but I have several pairs of maracas, a purse made out of a calabash from the Caribbean and a drum.  If any of it would be useful, you're welcome to use it.
                      Catherine

                      To: cdngourdsociety@ yahoogroups. com
                      From: ullibon@rogers. com
                      Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 01:32:30 +0000

                      The above society has contacted us and is asking us to do a presentation on June 8th. Joseph Schneider Haua is in Kitchener. You can look it up online.

                      I'm not receiving a whole lot of details from this place other than they want to see how gourds fit into a pioneer society. Well, to me it doesn't...at least not here in Canada, but I don't know everything.

                      I've been asked to bring examples of gourds and gourd art. I've been told that we can sell our gourds. After that, she had no answers for me.

                      This could be a good opportunity for us.

                      I'll need help with this. I'll need examples of gourd art to take with me to this presentation.

                      It's at 7 pm on June 8th.

                      Bonnie

                      Internet Explorer 8 makes surfing easier. Get it now!

                      One at a time or all at once? Get updates from your friends in one place.
                    • BONNIE MACLEOD
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 17, 2009
                        Hi Catherine,

                        You are a sweetheart to offer but I really do not want to be responsible for your items.  Besides, the postage would be crazy.

                        This society has so many wonderful people in it.  I have been receiving all sorts of information on the history of gourds.  I just need to focus and try to put it all together.  I do work well under pressure....lol.

                        Thanks again,

                        To: cdngourdsociety@ yahoogroups. com