The Examined Life: Child Abuse and the Fifth Commandment

  • examlife@...
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2013
    Hello

    In order to recover from the severe psychological damage that child abuse causes, survivors need to have a clear and honest understanding of what was done to them. Unfortunately, there are powerful psychological and social obstacles which make it difficult for many survivors to come to that understanding. To admit, even to oneself, that a parent behaved badly, can feel like an act of betrayal, and a violation of the Fifth Commandment (it's the Fourth if you're Catholic). In my current column (attached) I argue that we will have little hope of ending child abuse until we are willing to challenge the truth of some very old sacred cows.

    All the best,

    Tom Moon, MFT