The Examined Life: Cognitive Therapy for Permanent Weight Loss

  • examlife@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2012
    Hello

    No attempt at change is more difficult, or more regularly ends in failure, than weight loss. Perhaps one reason so many people fail at dieting is because they see the problem exclusively as an issue of restricting their eating and give little or no attention to the many psychological changes that have to occur to maintain long-term compliance with their plan. But our eating habits are maintained by a whole matrix of thoughts, feelings, attitudes, and habits which have to be overhauled for any meaningful change to occur.

    My current column discusses how the proven techniques of cognitive therapy can be used to achieve long-term weight loss, and describes a specific program, now available in book form, for applying cognitive therapy to the issue of dieting.

    All the best,

    Tom Moon