SEATTLE BLOCK PARTY 20AUG2011

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2011
      So far only two of us are talking about this!

      I see a special event is also planned the following day - Project APE cache - this time via the tunnel (which was closed last year).

      Would really like to firm up some plans for a carpool.

      I have a roadster - no backseat and virtually no trunk - totally unsuitable for more than one on a road trip.

      I also have a 2000 Isuzu Amigo - only 61K on it. If I were to take then I need to get hopping on replacing the tires.

      Or we can go in your car. I am totally flexible on lodging. (or camping)

      Gas money is no problem if I/we go in someone else's car.

      My preference would be a couple of days up, a couple of days there, and a couple of days back.

      One excellent plan might be to marathon drive to vicinity of Portland. Stay a night. Grab the first stash commemorative cache the following morning. Go the remaining distance to Seattle. Day #1 Block Party event. Day two: APE cache event. Then marathon drive (trading off drivers) all the way back to Monterey. Or one can stretch things out a bit if more caching is desired along the way.

      Note - for the Seattle portion I would want to "hang" with my geocaching sister. She lives near Everett I can crash there for gratis.
    • Nakiah Burnes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2011
        Someday, I am going to put that travel agent school to work...

        If you want another option to having to drive by yourself....
        Amtrak.com offers:
        $261.00 round trip (with AAA or senior discount)
        Train #14, Coast Starlight

        Leave: Thu Aug 18 2011
        San Luis Obispo, CA (SLO)
        Seattle, WA (SEA)

        Duration: 29 hr each way

        *** with your Isuzu, AAA estimates your round trip gas cost to be $448.88 at current prices!

        Taking the train is a

        <<<<<<<< savings of over $225 >>>>>>>>>>

        if you go by yourself!

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 21, 2011
          If no one opts for the carpool then I may just do this.

          Cheaper than flying or driving. I can just watch the scenery which beats driving.

          Only downside is no geocaching on route. But I got many of the easy pickings near the highway last year.

          Still open to carpool - someone else's car or mine...