Cows in Toro Park

  • Daniel Kemper
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2010
      Does anyone have any advice for avoiding the cattle herds in Toro Park? Is there any way of knowing what trails will be cow free?  I recently had one take a run at me as I was trying to get past. I got away unscathed but it was more excitement than I care for.  Are there any bulls (they must call it Toro for a reason) in the park?
      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 2010
        I've had a couple of "close calls" with the cows in the park as well as in one of the East Bay Regional Parks. They don't appear to be overly aggressive and appear to be more cautious of me, than me of them. I always have my trekking poles with me, and just using the mountain lion trick of "looking large and scary" seems to be sufficient. I'm not sure how close of a tab the park keeps on their movements, so I'm not sure that asking the park folks would be much help in trying to avoid them.

        Could be worse though. Don't get me started about wild burros in Red Rock Canyon near Las Vegas ;)

        Mike
        aka Touchstone

        --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Kemper <dpkemper4@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have any advice for avoiding the cattle herds in Toro Park? Is there any way of knowing what trails will be cow free?  I recently had one take a run at me as I was trying to get past. I got away unscathed but it was more excitement than I care for.  Are there any bulls (they must call it Toro for a reason) in the park?

      • Fox51
        Message 3 of 3 , May 13, 2010
          You do wonder where the bulls are when you see all those calves.   Rest assured, its common practice to keep the cows and calves separate from the bulls.  The bulls are better behaved when its just the guys around and besides, they've already done their job for the season.  Jmunch and I found the herd of bulls once when we lost the Meyers Loop trail back in our early days of hiking Toro.  We found ourselves outside the park after the wrong trail petered out.  Rather than backtrack, we went under and over a few fences, and came across the herd of bulls.  Our bad.  Moral of that story, stick to park trails and gates.  I've never seen a bull inside Toro Park.

          While cows are rather large critters, remember that they are herbivores, so we aren't potential food, just possible threats to their calves or competition with the bulls for their harem.   While the rancher has taken care of possible threat #2, you should take care not to appear to come between a cow and her calf- rather like the proverbial bear and her cubs advice for the mountains.  Once the calves are old enough to start hanging out with other calves, the cows aren't as protective and show much less interested in our presence.  Even cows can have cranky days however.

          When the cows / calves are on the trail / road blocking your way, if they don't move out of your way as you approach,  they usually respond to herding them off the road.  Lacking a horse to sit upon who already knows the drill, you can wave your arms or sombrero above your head and yell your favorite Western movie word for "git" or "ha"   as you approach them, but do start about this from about 20 feet away or so.   I've  herded cattle on foot and on horseback, and learned to give them enough space in case they startle and bolt in your direction.  They have poor eyesight, they're clumsy and don't have much intellect to work with.  But they do a most excellent job of keeping the grass cut for us and turning it into steaks.  Gotta love em for that.

          Hope that helps.
          Fox51
          Mary