where to by containers

  • deltahotel
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2010
      All right I don't get it. I'm ready to make my first hide, and I go to REI and there's no lock and lock boxes. Where do you have to go to get those? How about film canisters and magnets? Where do you get the supplies? Geocaching stickers? Logs? Is online the only place to order stuff?
    • likeafox51
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2010
        Hi Deltahotel-

        Lock and Locks type of containers are available at the discount houses, like Walmart, Target, even CSV. REI has Otter Boxes, nice for underwater caches but overkill for others. Do stay away from the grocery store food storage containers made by the same folks that make plastic bags. They aren't made from UV resistant plastics and will shatter after being exposed to a season of sunshine.

        Actual film cannisters don't make good cache containers since they are not waterproof, and soggy logs are difficult to sign. Bison tubes make good micro containers since they have an o-ring seal like the Lock and Locks. I've seen them at REI but bought mine on line.

        Geocaching stickers are also just available on line as far as I know.

        Most cachers just make their own logs or buy little notebooks to fit the container.

        Hardware and hobby stores often carry a selection of magnets. Part of the fun is scrounging around to find unusual things to use for containers.

        Good luck with your first hide! Be sure to read all of the information on the geocaching website about cache placement. It'll help your hide survive out there.

        Fox51

        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2010
          Ditto what Mary said. Containers I usually go to CVC or Target, or sometimes I just stumble across something interesting when I'm out and about (Orchard Supply had some beautiful stainless steel canisters on sale once).

          Film canisters make great CITO trade items (stuff a plastic garbage bag inside), but relatively poor cache containers unless you find some hiding place that protects them from the elements.

          Stickers and such I usually buy from the Groundspeak store:

          http://shop.groundspeak.com/productList.cfm?categoryID=18

          Good luck and thanks for putting a few out for the rest of us.

          Mike
          aka Touchstone
        • Dave Hiatt
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2010
            Ok, so in what section would I find lock and lock boxes, in Target or Walmart?

            To: ccgca@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2010
              They are usually in housewares, being considered a food storage item. Both stores have employees who would be happy to walk you to them.

              Happy container making!

            • roanq76@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 6, 2010
                OK, I am going to chime in here re the cache containers.  I usually buy my lock and lock containers at the Dollar Store in Salinas.  Everything is a buck and they have all sorts of cheap containers.  Be sure to get those that are waterproof and just to be on the safe side, put your log in a little plastic bag inside the container.

                The Dollar Store is located on East Laurel street - easy to find - and it is next to a CVS Pharmacy.

                Good luck,
                Roanq