RE: [CCGC] Re: Name your closest to home caches and did you hide any?

  • Ed Hall
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 23, 2004
      I live up in San Jose and was pleasantly surprised a little over a year
      ago when some thoughtful geocacher hid a cache just over a tenth of a
      mile from my house. The cache is hidden in a small park I have been to
      many times. Any cache within easy walking distance is a good thing.

      Imagine my surprise then when a later cache was hidden even closer --
      this one (still active) is only 250 feet from my front door. Yeow!

      Cache on!

      -Ed (Buxley)

      --
      Ed Hall (edhall@...) http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/
      "There's a hell of a universe next door: let's go!" - e. e. cummings

    • Sergeant Stitches
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 23, 2004
        Re: [CCGC] Re: Name your closest to home caches and did you hide any? OK, for those of you who asked ..... attached is a photo of the Buck knife FTF prize from Pinogop.  The best part is, I had one just like this in High School, but lost it when I went off to college....  so it's kind of like finding a part of my own history.... (Alright, enough sentimentalism for now.)

        -Lance

        From: Gabrielle Garrett <go2garrett@...>
        Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:39:18 -0800 (PST)
        To: ccgca@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [CCGC] Re: Name your closest to home caches and did you hide any?

        Yeah, I want a Cruz Commando picture of that buck knife too!

        Touchstone, you got me on Chasing Amy.  I'm not giving away the actual cache destination.  That is Blockbuster's coordinates which is closest to my home.

        Gotta do a "field trip" to your area for caching soon.  The only Touchstone Cache I have found so far is "Elkhorn Slough" virtual last Mother's Day. That was a great family outting for us.

        Happy Holiday Trails!
        Chickasaw

        touchstone12002 <msmelser@...> wrote:

        OK, here's mine.  Boy, kind of depressing now that I think about it.
        Looks like I live out in the desert or something ;)

        1.2mi   Another ammo box, with a view! by Jim and Jeanette
        1.4mi   Spooner's West - "Spoons and PEZ Galore" by Just a short Walk
        1.7mi   Manza MUD by lsdsquirrels (GCK285)
        1.8mi   Joe Manzanita by Touchstone (GCHD2E)
        3.4mi   Little and Red by The Plunketts (GCG451)

        Now I have to ask Chikasaw: are those the posted coords for Chasing
        Amy, or did you actually sit through that movie and figure out the
        real ones?

        I had to laugh at the Sarge's first two closest NF's.  Both IC
        caches.  I usually find his one star difficulty caches are equal to
        my three stars.  I have such a notoriously bad record of finding his
        caches that I'm almost afraid to go out and find them anymore :D

        And another thing: Are we going to get a pic of that 30 year old Buck
        knife FTF Prize that the Cruz Cammando Jr Squad found today or are we
        going to have to wait for the next Event Cache?

        Merry Caching Christmas to All,
        Touchstone

        --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle" <go2garrett@s...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone:
        >
        > This isn't a poll, but something fun to know about each other.  I
        > think all of us bring up our "closest to home" cache list alot and
        > see pretty much the same thing at the top of the list each time.
        > Since all of our lists are different, I thought it would be great
        fun
        > to see what we come up with.  I will start:
        >
        > Home Coordinates: in Scotts Valley, CA
        >
        > Closest to home caches:
        >    .5 mi - Chasing Amy by Kealia
        >    .5 mi - Linear Park by Kealia
        >    .7 mi - Camp Evers Fish Park by Kealia
        >    .9 mi - Sky Park Micro View by ynots4   * mine!*
        >

        > You next ;-)
        >
        > Chickasaw (of ynots4)

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12909cbab/M=324658.5816620.6854924.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065786:HM/EXP=1103870421/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12iehilvl/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1103784021130132>

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Rick Lagerstrom
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 24, 2004
          Howdy,

          This is a kewl idea.  Now, if I can figure out where I am, then I can list the caches that are close.  Then, I can go out and find them.  Sounds like fun!  So here are eight that are close to home that I haven�t yet gone out to find.  There isn�t any reason I haven�t found them yet other than I just haven�t gone after them.  I am sure we�ll find them soon.

          1.3 miles:
          Deaf, Dumb, and Blind Kid by Touchstone (GCH0YP)
          1.5 miles:
          Daley Planet by Touchstone (GCHJC4)
          1.8 miles:
          Abracadabra by Touchstone (GCH2D1)
          2.0 miles:
          X Marks the Spot by AquaDyne (GC4236)
          2.9 miles:
          Pole Position (Notaries) by GeoROCKS! (GCKW7Q)
          2.9 miles:
          Spiders by the Dozen Three (Part 1) by SpiderTracks (GCA814)
          2.9 miles:
          Spiders by the Dozen Three (Part 2) by SpiderTracks (GCA817)
          3.3 miles:
          Mail Call of the Wild by AltDotAir (GCB268)

          For those that I have hidden that are close to home, my little list follows.  Most are well visited.  I have to double check WestLog Penney Cache as it has not been visited for a couple of months or so.

          1.2 miles:
          Bullwinkle's Nest by westlog (GCJCYA)
          4.1 miles:
          Griffin's Lair by westlog (GCJYH9)
          5.2 miles:
          WestLog Penney Cache by westlog (GCK026)
          6.3 miles:
          Garrison View by westlog (GCJCY4)

          And with that, Merry Christmas to all.  I hope you get all the good stuff (toys) you want from Santa.

          73 de WestLog  Rick  ;-)

          Yahoo! Groups Links
                   Yahoo! Groups Links

          73 es Take good care,  Rick  KN6FR
          Adjunct Professor, Golden Gate University
          President, ECTAR, Inc.; Executive Director, CARTOG
          Director, Training & Operations, NPSARC
          rick@...   kn6fr@...    kn6fr@...
          Get Radio Active!!   ;-)

        • Stephanie Cottrell Bryant
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 31, 2005
            Ones closest to my house that I haven't found:

            Chasing Amy (never going to do this one-- I hate that movie)
            Sky Park Micro View (I tried on Saturday, but didn't find it)

            I think ynots4 must live just down the street from me.

            --mortaine
          • Gabrielle

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
                  Nah, I'm in Scotts Valley (so are the 2 caches I listed). My husband
                  goes up to Hollister to go 4-wheeling pretty regularly, but I don't
                  know if I've ever even been.

                  --Stephanie

                  On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:15:40 -0800 (PST), David L. Norris
                  <dlnorris@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Stephanie,
                  > I am on San Juan Rd. in Hollister.
                  > Are
                  > you indeed in Hollister? Peace and Harmony. Bear

                  --
                  Stephanie Bryant
                  mortaine@...
                  http://www.mortaine.com
                • Stephanie Bryant
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
                    I can't even think of who I could ask for that. My aversion to it has
                    something to do with something I supposedly did while drunk, which I
                    do not remember, but which my friends have found not-so-subtle ways to
                    tease me about.

                    So, I think not.

                    But someone should do a Scotts Valley cache centered around the cool
                    movies at locally-owned DVD To Go, in my opinion. Much better
                    selection of the indie films, and their prices are very competitive.

                    --Stephanie

                    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:06:15 -0800 (PST), Gabrielle
                    <go2garrett@...> wrote:

                    > Maybe we do, maybe we don't. But we are in Scotts Valley. The Chasing Amy
                    > cache is a nice hike that our family enjoyed, btw. Maybe you can get
                    > someone else to watch the movie and collect the answers for you!
                    >
                    > - Chickasaw (of ynots4)
                    >
                    > Stephanie Cottrell Bryant <mortaine@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Ones closest to my house that I haven't found:
                    >
                    > Chasing Amy (never going to do this one-- I hate that movie)
                    > Sky Park Micro View (I tried on Saturday, but didn't find it)
                    >
                    > I think ynots4 must live just down the street from me.
                    >
                    > --mortaine

                    Stephanie Bryant
                    mortaine@...
                    http://www.mortaine.com
                  • jesus_hiding_place
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
                      Home coordinates: in Marina, CA

                      Closest to home caches:
                      .2 mi - Close to Home by jesus_hiding_place *mine!*
                      .5 mi - Johnny Cache by Biggeeks
                      .6 mi - K - CACHE by C&MMorris
                      .8 mi - Central Coast Seedbank (RELOADED! 8/15) by biggeeks

                      JHP
                      Psalm 32:7