Re: [CCGC] Re: Name your closest to home caches and did you hide any?

  • Sergeant Stitches
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 22, 2004
      Re: [CCGC] Re: Name your closest to home caches and did you hide any? OK, OK...  I'll post a picture .... gotta find the camera first... Lt Happy Camper seems to have stashed it somewhere... hope she didn't leave it in the cache this morning  [:D]

      And yes... those Iron Chef caches in my closest to home have been hanging around forever. I really mean to do them... really, I DO!   I've looked for "Dead presidents" three times now... all three times the cache had been muggled before I got there, replaced, then muggled again!  Doh!  I keep hoping IC will fix it, but he seems to have been out of touch for the last 3 months or so. (hasn't logged onto website).

      I've also looked for IC's "Cobalt Blue Vier" twice now (once each year the past two years while camping at Manressa with Cub Scouts) and still haven't found that one either!  Took me *three* visits to find "Bridge The to Happened What?".  IC caches are definitely tough finds...

      -Lance
      (aka Sgt Stitches)

      From: Gabrielle Garrett <go2garrett@...>
      Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:39:18 -0800 (PST)
      To: ccgca@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [CCGC] Re: Name your closest to home caches and did you hide any?

      Yeah, I want a Cruz Commando picture of that buck knife too!

      Touchstone, you got me on Chasing Amy.  I'm not giving away the actual cache destination.  That is Blockbuster's coordinates which is closest to my home.

      Gotta do a "field trip" to your area for caching soon.  The only Touchstone Cache I have found so far is "Elkhorn Slough" virtual last Mother's Day. That was a great family outting for us.

      Happy Holiday Trails!
      Chickasaw

      touchstone12002 <msmelser@...> wrote:

      OK, here's mine.  Boy, kind of depressing now that I think about it.
      Looks like I live out in the desert or something ;)

      1.2mi   Another ammo box, with a view! by Jim and Jeanette
      1.4mi   Spooner's West - "Spoons and PEZ Galore" by Just a short Walk
      1.7mi   Manza MUD by lsdsquirrels (GCK285)
      1.8mi   Joe Manzanita by Touchstone (GCHD2E)
      3.4mi   Little and Red by The Plunketts (GCG451)

      Now I have to ask Chikasaw: are those the posted coords for Chasing
      Amy, or did you actually sit through that movie and figure out the
      real ones?

      I had to laugh at the Sarge's first two closest NF's.  Both IC
      caches.  I usually find his one star difficulty caches are equal to
      my three stars.  I have such a notoriously bad record of finding his
      caches that I'm almost afraid to go out and find them anymore :D

      And another thing: Are we going to get a pic of that 30 year old Buck
      knife FTF Prize that the Cruz Cammando Jr Squad found today or are we
      going to have to wait for the next Event Cache?

      Merry Caching Christmas to All,
      Touchstone

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle" <go2garrett@s...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone:
      >
      > This isn't a poll, but something fun to know about each other.  I
      > think all of us bring up our "closest to home" cache list alot and
      > see pretty much the same thing at the top of the list each time.
      > Since all of our lists are different, I thought it would be great
      fun
      > to see what we come up with.  I will start:
      >
      > Home Coordinates: in Scotts Valley, CA
      >
      > Closest to home caches:
      >    .5 mi - Chasing Amy by Kealia
      >    .5 mi - Linear Park by Kealia
      >    .7 mi - Camp Evers Fish Park by Kealia
      >    .9 mi - Sky Park Micro View by ynots4   * mine!*
      >

      > You next ;-)
      >
      > Chickasaw (of ynots4)

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Get unlimited calls to

      U.S./Canada  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12909cbab/M=324658.5816620.6854924.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065786:HM/EXP=1103870421/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12iehilvl/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1103784021130132>

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Gabrielle Garrett
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 22, 2004
        This brings up a whole new topic of interest.  Which caches are closest to home that we haven't found, and why.  I like that Sgt Stitches offers this list as well.

        OK, so here is my closest to home that I have not found...

        1.6 mi SW  Aylsworth View by Kealia    - posted DNF last weekend
        1.8 mi SW  Garden of Eden by Kealia   - posted DNF and haven't had a chance to return
        2.0 mi SW  Twinkletoes, Revised by The Groin   - posted DNF because of lack of swimsuits
              and time
        2.2 mi W   the cache of roaring camp (?) by David, Noelle & Reggie  - posted DNF and still
              don't get it
        3.1 mi S   Pinogop Cache by capnjack46  - NEW

        Chickasaw

        Sergeant Stitches <sgt_stitches@...> wrote:
        .... but I don't usually look at just the closest to home, I filter to see which ones are closest that I have not yet found.... so, here are my top 9 closest to home:

        SW
        1.7mi         (1/1)    19 Jan 02
           Dead Presidents by Agent Iron Chef (GC3352) (CURRENTLY INACTIVE)

        SW
        2mi         (3/1.5)    21 Oct 01
           Brain Scratch by Iron Chef (GC241B)

        NW
        2.2mi         (2.5/1)    14 Dec 04
           Hot Wheels Cache by Team Abigale (GCM99H) (CURRENTLY INACTIVE)

        SE
        2.4mi         (3/3.5)    7 Dec 04
           Branciforte Creek Cache by MonarchSchool (GCM7T8) (New)

        2.5mi         (2.5/2)    21 Dec 04
           Bluegrass Bob TB cache by capnjack46 (GCMAG0) (New)

        -Sgt Stitches
        (aka Lance)

        From: "Gabrielle" <go2garrett@...>
        Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:54:32 -0000
        To: ccgca@yahoogroups.com

        Hello everyone:

        This isn't a poll, but something fun to know about each other.  I
        think all of us bring up our "closest to home" cache list alot and
        see pretty much the same thing at the top of the list each time.
        Since all of our lists are different, I thought it would be great fun
        to see what we come up with.  I will start:

        Home Coordinates: in Scotts Valley, CA

        Closest to home caches:
          .5 mi - Chasing Amy by Kealia
          .5 mi - Linear Park by Kealia
          .7 mi - Camp Evers Fish Park by Kealia
          .9 mi - Sky Park Micro View by ynots4   * mine!*

        You next ;-)

        Chickasaw (of ynots4)

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 23, 2004
          Actually, I find the DNF stories more fun to read sometimes than the
          little smiley ones. I know, it's kind of sick, but that's the way I
          am. Ironically, I don't try to make my caches impossible to find.
          Heck, I dole out extra hints for people to ask.

          Here's my list:

          5.5mi (3/4) Bridge Marsh by Alikat (GCKNTT)- Over $100 bucks later
          in kayak rental fees and soaking wet, I get to proudly state I gave
          this one my all. Alikat emailed me later saying that in one of my
          photos the subject was less than 2 ft away (as if that's going to
          make me feel better);)

          6.7mi (3/1) Morning at the Beach (disabled) by kablooey (GCG2NF)-
          One of the first puzzles that I solved, I made three trips out before
          asking the big bloo for some help. Turns out to be missing and has
          been disabled for over a year now :( I think this one may have
          provoked Hemlock to post the now infamous "better clean up that
          disabled list, or I'm going to start archiving" post on the forums.

          8.5mi (2/1) I'm a Baaaaaad Boy! by DavidT21 & Fisherwoman (GCGB5D)-
          Another one that was disabled for a very long time. When it finally
          got checked on, it turns out to be still there. I ran out the next
          day or so, but the muggles were everywhere. Plus the fact it's near
          some restrooms, made me fear I might get arrested for being some kind
          of pervert.

          Honorable Mentions:

          (4.5/2) Black Box by georgeandmary (GC6937)
          (2/1)Casa de Cache by georgeandmary (GC4582)

          Actually, not very close to me, but I always beg to stop to make a
          search when we're doing the drive to the mountains. If I have an
          innate fear of IC caches, I think I've developed a downright dread of
          g&m caches. BB hasn't been found for well over a year now and my
          wife helped me with the solution (a puzzle cache). Made a couple of
          searches, and I'm even beginning to get sympathy email (Darn! and I
          saw Fizzy and Marky this weekend; I should've asked them where it
          was). The Casa cache is a submicro in some old farm equipment. My
          son loves stopping here, but I think he's beginning to worry about me
          scrounging around in a bunch of rusted tractors and trucks for a
          breath mint container.

          Happy Holidays,
          Touchstone

          --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, Gabrielle Garrett <go2garrett@s...>

          Service.
        • Ed Hall
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 23, 2004
            I live up in San Jose and was pleasantly surprised a little over a year
            ago when some thoughtful geocacher hid a cache just over a tenth of a
            mile from my house. The cache is hidden in a small park I have been to
            many times. Any cache within easy walking distance is a good thing.

            Imagine my surprise then when a later cache was hidden even closer --
            this one (still active) is only 250 feet from my front door. Yeow!

            Cache on!

            -Ed (Buxley)

            --
            Ed Hall (edhall@...) http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/
            "There's a hell of a universe next door: let's go!" - e. e. cummings

          • Sergeant Stitches
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 23, 2004
              Re: [CCGC] Re: Name your closest to home caches and did you hide any? OK, for those of you who asked ..... attached is a photo of the Buck knife FTF prize from Pinogop.  The best part is, I had one just like this in High School, but lost it when I went off to college....  so it's kind of like finding a part of my own history.... (Alright, enough sentimentalism for now.)

              -Lance

              From: Gabrielle Garrett <go2garrett@...>
              Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:39:18 -0800 (PST)
              To: ccgca@yahoogroups.com

              Yeah, I want a Cruz Commando picture of that buck knife too!

              Touchstone, you got me on Chasing Amy.  I'm not giving away the actual cache destination.  That is Blockbuster's coordinates which is closest to my home.

              Gotta do a "field trip" to your area for caching soon.  The only Touchstone Cache I have found so far is "Elkhorn Slough" virtual last Mother's Day. That was a great family outting for us.

              Happy Holiday Trails!
              Chickasaw

              touchstone12002 <msmelser@...> wrote:

              OK, here's mine.  Boy, kind of depressing now that I think about it.
              Looks like I live out in the desert or something ;)

              1.2mi   Another ammo box, with a view! by Jim and Jeanette
              1.4mi   Spooner's West - "Spoons and PEZ Galore" by Just a short Walk
              1.7mi   Manza MUD by lsdsquirrels (GCK285)
              1.8mi   Joe Manzanita by Touchstone (GCHD2E)
              3.4mi   Little and Red by The Plunketts (GCG451)

              Now I have to ask Chikasaw: are those the posted coords for Chasing
              Amy, or did you actually sit through that movie and figure out the
              real ones?

              I had to laugh at the Sarge's first two closest NF's.  Both IC
              caches.  I usually find his one star difficulty caches are equal to
              my three stars.  I have such a notoriously bad record of finding his
              caches that I'm almost afraid to go out and find them anymore :D

              And another thing: Are we going to get a pic of that 30 year old Buck
              knife FTF Prize that the Cruz Cammando Jr Squad found today or are we
              going to have to wait for the next Event Cache?

              Merry Caching Christmas to All,
              Touchstone

              --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle" <go2garrett@s...> wrote:

              > Hello everyone:
              >
              > This isn't a poll, but something fun to know about each other.  I
              > think all of us bring up our "closest to home" cache list alot and
              > see pretty much the same thing at the top of the list each time.
              > Since all of our lists are different, I thought it would be great
              fun
              > to see what we come up with.  I will start:
              >
              > Home Coordinates: in Scotts Valley, CA
              >
              > Closest to home caches:
              >    .5 mi - Chasing Amy by Kealia
              >    .5 mi - Linear Park by Kealia
              >    .7 mi - Camp Evers Fish Park by Kealia
              >    .9 mi - Sky Park Micro View by ynots4   * mine!*
              >

              > You next ;-)
              >
              > Chickasaw (of ynots4)

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Get unlimited calls to

              U.S./Canada  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12909cbab/M=324658.5816620.6854924.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065786:HM/EXP=1103870421/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12iehilvl/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1103784021130132>

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Rick Lagerstrom
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 24, 2004
                Howdy,

                This is a kewl idea.  Now, if I can figure out where I am, then I can list the caches that are close.  Then, I can go out and find them.  Sounds like fun!  So here are eight that are close to home that I haven�t yet gone out to find.  There isn�t any reason I haven�t found them yet other than I just haven�t gone after them.  I am sure we�ll find them soon.

                1.3 miles:
                Deaf, Dumb, and Blind Kid by Touchstone (GCH0YP)
                1.5 miles:
                Daley Planet by Touchstone (GCHJC4)
                1.8 miles:
                Abracadabra by Touchstone (GCH2D1)
                2.0 miles:
                X Marks the Spot by AquaDyne (GC4236)
                2.9 miles:
                Pole Position (Notaries) by GeoROCKS! (GCKW7Q)
                2.9 miles:
                Spiders by the Dozen Three (Part 1) by SpiderTracks (GCA814)
                2.9 miles:
                Spiders by the Dozen Three (Part 2) by SpiderTracks (GCA817)
                3.3 miles:
                Mail Call of the Wild by AltDotAir (GCB268)

                For those that I have hidden that are close to home, my little list follows.  Most are well visited.  I have to double check WestLog Penney Cache as it has not been visited for a couple of months or so.

                1.2 miles:
                Bullwinkle's Nest by westlog (GCJCYA)
                4.1 miles:
                Griffin's Lair by westlog (GCJYH9)
                5.2 miles:
                WestLog Penney Cache by westlog (GCK026)
                6.3 miles:
                Garrison View by westlog (GCJCY4)

                And with that, Merry Christmas to all.  I hope you get all the good stuff (toys) you want from Santa.

                73 de WestLog  Rick  ;-)

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                         Yahoo! Groups Links

                73 es Take good care,  Rick  KN6FR
                Adjunct Professor, Golden Gate University
                President, ECTAR, Inc.; Executive Director, CARTOG
                Director, Training & Operations, NPSARC
                rick@...   kn6fr@...    kn6fr@...
                Get Radio Active!!   ;-)

              • Stephanie Cottrell Bryant
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 31, 2005
                  Ones closest to my house that I haven't found:

                  Chasing Amy (never going to do this one-- I hate that movie)
                  Sky Park Micro View (I tried on Saturday, but didn't find it)

                  I think ynots4 must live just down the street from me.

                  --mortaine
                • Gabrielle

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
                        Nah, I'm in Scotts Valley (so are the 2 caches I listed). My husband
                        goes up to Hollister to go 4-wheeling pretty regularly, but I don't
                        know if I've ever even been.

                        --Stephanie

                        On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:15:40 -0800 (PST), David L. Norris
                        <dlnorris@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Stephanie,
                        > I am on San Juan Rd. in Hollister.
                        > Are
                        > you indeed in Hollister? Peace and Harmony. Bear

                        --
                        Stephanie Bryant
                        mortaine@...
                        http://www.mortaine.com
                      • Stephanie Bryant
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
                          I can't even think of who I could ask for that. My aversion to it has
                          something to do with something I supposedly did while drunk, which I
                          do not remember, but which my friends have found not-so-subtle ways to
                          tease me about.

                          So, I think not.

                          But someone should do a Scotts Valley cache centered around the cool
                          movies at locally-owned DVD To Go, in my opinion. Much better
                          selection of the indie films, and their prices are very competitive.

                          --Stephanie

                          On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:06:15 -0800 (PST), Gabrielle
                          <go2garrett@...> wrote:

                          > Maybe we do, maybe we don't. But we are in Scotts Valley. The Chasing Amy
                          > cache is a nice hike that our family enjoyed, btw. Maybe you can get
                          > someone else to watch the movie and collect the answers for you!
                          >
                          > - Chickasaw (of ynots4)
                          >
                          > Stephanie Cottrell Bryant <mortaine@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > Ones closest to my house that I haven't found:
                          >
                          > Chasing Amy (never going to do this one-- I hate that movie)
                          > Sky Park Micro View (I tried on Saturday, but didn't find it)
                          >
                          > I think ynots4 must live just down the street from me.
                          >
                          > --mortaine

                          Stephanie Bryant
                          mortaine@...
                          http://www.mortaine.com
                        • jesus_hiding_place
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
                            Home coordinates: in Marina, CA

                            Closest to home caches:
                            .2 mi - Close to Home by jesus_hiding_place *mine!*
                            .5 mi - Johnny Cache by Biggeeks
                            .6 mi - K - CACHE by C&MMorris
                            .8 mi - Central Coast Seedbank (RELOADED! 8/15) by biggeeks

                            JHP
                            Psalm 32:7