Re: LOOKING FOR LANGUAGE HELP

    Message 1 of 7 , May 3 8:52 AM
      iGoogle is one obvious choice:

      http://www.google.com/ig?hl=en&referrer=ign_n

      and babblefish.com, although I've heard that online traslators can
      make kind of a hash on the grammar, I would think for a simple
      translation of three words, like you're doing, it would be adequate.

      Google did give the following Japanese translation in Kanji:

      •½˜aˆ¤‚̍K•Ÿ

      Hope that helps, and good luck,
      Mike
      aka Touchstone

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, Wavesprite@... wrote:

      > Hi Wayne,
      >
      > Your caches are great!!! I have a friend that I will ask about
      the Hebrew!

      > Stacey
      > aka Wavesprite
      >
      > In a message dated 5/3/2008 8:44:43 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      > ca_bicycler@... writes:
      >

      > I have been hiding a few caches. All are intended to be roughly
      > identical except for the language of the title.
      >
      > I could use help (or leads for free/cheap help) in
      translating "Peace
      > Love and Happiness" into additional languages.
      >
      > Any written language is a candidate.
      >
      > Especially interested in help from someone who can assist in
      > translation into Hebrew, Hindi, Cyrillic or other glyphs.
      Example:
      > Japanese is often expressed in the Western Alphabet for our
      > convenience. But in Japan Japanese would normally be expressed in
      those
      > characters which I believe are called "Kanji"
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Wayne
      > a.k.a. rainbow_guyz
      >

      > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists
      on family
      > favorites at AOL Food.

    • Talmadge Bailey
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3 9:17 AM
        Never tried igoogle, I'll have a look.

        Previous experience is that things like babelfish are likely to create confusion.

        Translating "Love" is especially fraught with danger because English uses the same word for love in the fatherly sense as well the romantic/erotic sense. Other languages have separate words for romantic love and that sisterly or parental thing.

        I only trust babelfish if I can translate a word, then take that and translate it back to English getting as a result whatever I started with. When that test is applied babelfish rarely passes.

        That is why I am hoping for assistance of native speakers!

        Thanks for the lead.

        Regards,
        Wayne

        touchstone12002 <touchstone12002@...> wrote:
        iGoogle is one obvious choice:

        http://www.google.com/ig?hl=en&referrer=ign_n

        and babblefish.com, although I've heard that online traslators can
        make kind of a hash on the grammar, I would think for a simple
        translation of three words, like you're doing, it would be adequate.

        Google did give the following Japanese translation in Kanji:

        •½˜aˆ¤‚̍K•Ÿ

        Hope that helps, and good luck,
        Mike
        aka Touchstone

        --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, Wavesprite@... wrote:

        > Hi Wayne,
        >
        > Your caches are great!!! I have a friend that I will ask about
        the Hebrew!

        > Stacey
        > aka Wavesprite
        >
        > In a message dated 5/3/2008 8:44:43 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        > ca_bicycler@... writes:
        >

        > I have been hiding a few caches. All are intended to be roughly
        > identical except for the language of the title.
        >
        > I could use help (or leads for free/cheap help) in
        translating "Peace
        > Love and Happiness" into additional languages.
        >
        > Any written language is a candidate.
        >
        > Especially interested in help from someone who can assist in
        > translation into Hebrew, Hindi, Cyrillic or other glyphs.
        Example:
        > Japanese is often expressed in the Western Alphabet for our
        > convenience. But in Japan Japanese would normally be expressed in
        those
        > characters which I believe are called "Kanji"
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Wayne
        > a.k.a. rainbow_guyz
        >

        > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists
        on family
        > favorites at AOL Food.

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        mailto:ccgca-digest@yahoogroups.com
        mailto:ccgca-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Wavesprite@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3 10:54 AM
          it's tricky.... Shalom, Ohev, Sameach would be the literal translation, but nobody would really say that. Love isn't really a word in Hebrew.... (weird, right?)   Shalom and Sameach would be enough on their own.

          On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 1:40 PM, <WaveSprite@...> wrote:
          My little quilt is going into the mail on Monday morning....

          I have a question, though,  do you know how to write out  "Peace, Love, Happiness" in Hebrew??

          It's for a geocaching (gps treasure hunt) listing that a friend is trying to do.

          Thanks,
          Stacey

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ccgca/ join
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:ccgca- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
          mailto:ccgca- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

          http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

        • Sandy Country
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3 5:16 PM
            I have a friend who is Japanese and speaks it well.  She's only been in the states 10 years.  I will ask her for help.  She also speaks French, so I can get that too!

            Sandpointidgirl

            Message 5 of 7 , May 4 2:11 AM
              Hey Stacey,

              Interesting.

              If possible please show the attached jpg to your pal and ask if that changes their answer.

              Also very interested in knowing if your pal can supply the answer in Hebrew alphabet (letters like in the attached BMP file.)

              Thanks,
              Wayne
              a.k.a. rainbow_guyz