Re: Point Lobos

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2007
      Hi Fox51,

      In general State Parks have been fine with cache placements,
      although I suspect it is not an issue at the top of their agenda.
      In addition, each Park/Reserve belongs to a District, and it is the
      Head Ranger for the District that sets the Policy for the Parks that
      they manage. In Monterey (which Point Lobos is part of), the
      District Office is out on Garden Road. If you want a more
      definitive answer before placing a cache, I would suggest contacting
      the District Office. Chatting with Rangers on the trail can result
      in wrong answers and incorrect assumptions, as Marky pointed out.

      As far as Federal Lands are concerned, the only agencies that have
      specifically banned caching are the National Park Service, and the
      National Wildlife Refuges. To the best of my knowledge, Pinnacles
      National Monument is the only NPS managed land in Monterey County,
      and the only NWR is the Salinas River NWR near the Dole Plant on Hwy
      1 where it crosses the Salinas River. To complicate matters a bit,
      Fort Ord BLM has imposed an Emergency Moratorium on all new cache
      placements while they evaluate Geocaching on the lands that the BLM
      manages out there.

      - Touchstone