Re: [CCGC] Point Lobos

  • Mark Yvanovich
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007

      On Dec 4, 2007, at 7:46 PM, likeafox51 wrote:

      The head ranger is also concerned about the wildlife when a cache turns into litter.

      Just how do these incorrect notions get started?  Caches don't turn into litter.  They have owners who care for them,
      and in the rare cases when the owners abandon them they are usually adopted, or are removed.  Only in very rare cases
      do they turn into litter.  Certainly they would pale in comparison to actual litter (probably by 10,000 to 1, I would estimate).

      Now, I've seen some caches disguised as litter, but they don't last long usually, because they get picked up by muggles
      (especially if the litter it's disguised as can be recycled for money ;) )

      --Marky

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2007
        Hi Fox51,

        In general State Parks have been fine with cache placements,
        although I suspect it is not an issue at the top of their agenda.
        In addition, each Park/Reserve belongs to a District, and it is the
        Head Ranger for the District that sets the Policy for the Parks that
        they manage. In Monterey (which Point Lobos is part of), the
        District Office is out on Garden Road. If you want a more
        definitive answer before placing a cache, I would suggest contacting
        the District Office. Chatting with Rangers on the trail can result
        in wrong answers and incorrect assumptions, as Marky pointed out.

        As far as Federal Lands are concerned, the only agencies that have
        specifically banned caching are the National Park Service, and the
        National Wildlife Refuges. To the best of my knowledge, Pinnacles
        National Monument is the only NPS managed land in Monterey County,
        and the only NWR is the Salinas River NWR near the Dole Plant on Hwy
        1 where it crosses the Salinas River. To complicate matters a bit,
        Fort Ord BLM has imposed an Emergency Moratorium on all new cache
        placements while they evaluate Geocaching on the lands that the BLM
        manages out there.

        - Touchstone