Re: [CCGC] Name your closest to home caches and did you hide any?

  • Sergeant Stitches
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 22, 2004
      Re: [CCGC] Name your closest to home caches and did you hide any? Here are my top five closest to home....

      SW
      0.2mi
         Cross the Creek Cache by Sgt Stitches and the Cruz Commandos (GCGQHB)

      SE
      0.2mi
         Houdini's Hideaway Magic Exchange by The Zenone Family (GCKE7Y)

      0.7mi
         BuckEye by Kealia (GCGYJR)

      SW
      0.9mi
         Coconut Trestle by Sgt Stitches and Cpl Coconut (GCJWMV)

      0.9mi
         Twinkletoes, Revised by The Groin (maintained by Ashelin & Skylanth) (GC2B23)

      .... but I don't usually look at just the closest to home, I filter to see which ones are closest that I have not yet found.... so, here are my top 9 closest to home:

      SW
      1.7mi         (1/1)    19 Jan 02
         Dead Presidents by Agent Iron Chef (GC3352) (CURRENTLY INACTIVE)

      SW
      2mi         (3/1.5)    21 Oct 01
         Brain Scratch by Iron Chef (GC241B)

      NW
      2.2mi         (2.5/1)    14 Dec 04
         Hot Wheels Cache by Team Abigale (GCM99H) (CURRENTLY INACTIVE)

      SE
      2.4mi         (3/3.5)    7 Dec 04
         Branciforte Creek Cache by MonarchSchool (GCM7T8) (New)

      2.5mi         (2.5/2)    21 Dec 04
         Bluegrass Bob TB cache by capnjack46 (GCMAG0) (New)

      -Sgt Stitches
      (aka Lance)

      From: "Gabrielle" <go2garrett@...>
      Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:54:32 -0000
      To: ccgca@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [CCGC] Name your closest to home caches and did you hide any?

      Hello everyone:

      This isn't a poll, but something fun to know about each other.  I
      think all of us bring up our "closest to home" cache list alot and
      see pretty much the same thing at the top of the list each time.
      Since all of our lists are different, I thought it would be great fun
      to see what we come up with.  I will start:

      Home Coordinates: in Scotts Valley, CA

      Closest to home caches:
        .5 mi - Chasing Amy by Kealia
        .5 mi - Linear Park by Kealia
        .7 mi - Camp Evers Fish Park by Kealia
        .9 mi - Sky Park Micro View by ynots4   * mine!*

      You next ;-)

      Chickasaw (of ynots4)

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 22, 2004
        OK, here's mine. Boy, kind of depressing now that I think about it.
        Looks like I live out in the desert or something ;)

        1.2mi Another ammo box, with a view! by Jim and Jeanette
        1.4mi Spooner's West - "Spoons and PEZ Galore" by Just a short Walk
        1.7mi Manza MUD by lsdsquirrels (GCK285)
        1.8mi Joe Manzanita by Touchstone (GCHD2E)
        3.4mi Little and Red by The Plunketts (GCG451)

        Now I have to ask Chikasaw: are those the posted coords for Chasing
        Amy, or did you actually sit through that movie and figure out the
        real ones?

        I had to laugh at the Sarge's first two closest NF's. Both IC
        caches. I usually find his one star difficulty caches are equal to
        my three stars. I have such a notoriously bad record of finding his
        caches that I'm almost afraid to go out and find them anymore :D

        And another thing: Are we going to get a pic of that 30 year old Buck
        knife FTF Prize that the Cruz Cammando Jr Squad found today or are we
        going to have to wait for the next Event Cache?

        Merry Caching Christmas to All,
        Touchstone

        --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle" <go2garrett@s...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone:
        >
        > This isn't a poll, but something fun to know about each other. I
        > think all of us bring up our "closest to home" cache list alot and
        > see pretty much the same thing at the top of the list each time.
        > Since all of our lists are different, I thought it would be great
        fun
        > to see what we come up with. I will start:
        >
        > Home Coordinates: in Scotts Valley, CA
        >
        > Closest to home caches:
        > .5 mi - Chasing Amy by Kealia
        > .5 mi - Linear Park by Kealia
        > .7 mi - Camp Evers Fish Park by Kealia
        > .9 mi - Sky Park Micro View by ynots4 * mine!*
        >

        > You next ;-)
        >
        > Chickasaw (of ynots4)
      • Gabrielle Garrett
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 22, 2004
          Yeah, I want a Cruz Commando picture of that buck knife too!

          Touchstone, you got me on Chasing Amy.  I'm not giving away the actual cache destination.  That is Blockbuster's coordinates which is closest to my home.

          Gotta do a "field trip" to your area for caching soon.  The only Touchstone Cache I have found so far is "Elkhorn Slough" virtual last Mother's Day. That was a great family outting for us.

          Happy Holiday Trails!
          Chickasaw

          touchstone12002 <msmelser@...> wrote:

          OK, here's mine.  Boy, kind of depressing now that I think about it.
          Looks like I live out in the desert or something ;)

          1.2mi   Another ammo box, with a view! by Jim and Jeanette
          1.4mi   Spooner's West - "Spoons and PEZ Galore" by Just a short Walk
          1.7mi   Manza MUD by lsdsquirrels (GCK285)
          1.8mi   Joe Manzanita by Touchstone (GCHD2E)
          3.4mi   Little and Red by The Plunketts (GCG451)

          Now I have to ask Chikasaw: are those the posted coords for Chasing
          Amy, or did you actually sit through that movie and figure out the
          real ones?

          I had to laugh at the Sarge's first two closest NF's.  Both IC
          caches.  I usually find his one star difficulty caches are equal to
          my three stars.  I have such a notoriously bad record of finding his
          caches that I'm almost afraid to go out and find them anymore :D

          And another thing: Are we going to get a pic of that 30 year old Buck
          knife FTF Prize that the Cruz Cammando Jr Squad found today or are we
          going to have to wait for the next Event Cache?

          Merry Caching Christmas to All,
          Touchstone

          --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle" <go2garrett@s...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone:
          >
          > This isn't a poll, but something fun to know about each other.  I
          > think all of us bring up our "closest to home" cache list alot and
          > see pretty much the same thing at the top of the list each time.
          > Since all of our lists are different, I thought it would be great
          fun
          > to see what we come up with.  I will start:
          >
          > Home Coordinates: in Scotts Valley, CA
          >
          > Closest to home caches:
          >    .5 mi - Chasing Amy by Kealia
          >    .5 mi - Linear Park by Kealia
          >    .7 mi - Camp Evers Fish Park by Kealia
          >    .9 mi - Sky Park Micro View by ynots4   * mine!*
          >

          > You next ;-)
          >
          > Chickasaw (of ynots4)

        • Sergeant Stitches
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 22, 2004
            Re: [CCGC] Re: Name your closest to home caches and did you hide any? OK, OK...  I'll post a picture .... gotta find the camera first... Lt Happy Camper seems to have stashed it somewhere... hope she didn't leave it in the cache this morning  [:D]

            And yes... those Iron Chef caches in my closest to home have been hanging around forever. I really mean to do them... really, I DO!   I've looked for "Dead presidents" three times now... all three times the cache had been muggled before I got there, replaced, then muggled again!  Doh!  I keep hoping IC will fix it, but he seems to have been out of touch for the last 3 months or so. (hasn't logged onto website).

            I've also looked for IC's "Cobalt Blue Vier" twice now (once each year the past two years while camping at Manressa with Cub Scouts) and still haven't found that one either!  Took me *three* visits to find "Bridge The to Happened What?".  IC caches are definitely tough finds...

            -Lance
            (aka Sgt Stitches)

            From: Gabrielle Garrett <go2garrett@...>
            Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:39:18 -0800 (PST)
            To: ccgca@yahoogroups.com

            Yeah, I want a Cruz Commando picture of that buck knife too!

            Touchstone, you got me on Chasing Amy.  I'm not giving away the actual cache destination.  That is Blockbuster's coordinates which is closest to my home.

            Gotta do a "field trip" to your area for caching soon.  The only Touchstone Cache I have found so far is "Elkhorn Slough" virtual last Mother's Day. That was a great family outting for us.

            Happy Holiday Trails!
            Chickasaw

            touchstone12002 <msmelser@...> wrote:

            OK, here's mine.  Boy, kind of depressing now that I think about it.
            Looks like I live out in the desert or something ;)

            1.2mi   Another ammo box, with a view! by Jim and Jeanette
            1.4mi   Spooner's West - "Spoons and PEZ Galore" by Just a short Walk
            1.7mi   Manza MUD by lsdsquirrels (GCK285)
            1.8mi   Joe Manzanita by Touchstone (GCHD2E)
            3.4mi   Little and Red by The Plunketts (GCG451)

            Now I have to ask Chikasaw: are those the posted coords for Chasing
            Amy, or did you actually sit through that movie and figure out the
            real ones?

            I had to laugh at the Sarge's first two closest NF's.  Both IC
            caches.  I usually find his one star difficulty caches are equal to
            my three stars.  I have such a notoriously bad record of finding his
            caches that I'm almost afraid to go out and find them anymore :D

            And another thing: Are we going to get a pic of that 30 year old Buck
            knife FTF Prize that the Cruz Cammando Jr Squad found today or are we
            going to have to wait for the next Event Cache?

            Merry Caching Christmas to All,
            Touchstone

            --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle" <go2garrett@s...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone:
            >
            > This isn't a poll, but something fun to know about each other.  I
            > think all of us bring up our "closest to home" cache list alot and
            > see pretty much the same thing at the top of the list each time.
            > Since all of our lists are different, I thought it would be great
            fun
            > to see what we come up with.  I will start:
            >
            > Home Coordinates: in Scotts Valley, CA
            >
            > Closest to home caches:
            >    .5 mi - Chasing Amy by Kealia
            >    .5 mi - Linear Park by Kealia
            >    .7 mi - Camp Evers Fish Park by Kealia
            >    .9 mi - Sky Park Micro View by ynots4   * mine!*
            >

            > You next ;-)
            >
            > Chickasaw (of ynots4)

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Get unlimited calls to

            U.S./Canada  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12909cbab/M=324658.5816620.6854924.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065786:HM/EXP=1103870421/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12iehilvl/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1103784021130132>

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Gabrielle Garrett
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 22, 2004
              This brings up a whole new topic of interest.  Which caches are closest to home that we haven't found, and why.  I like that Sgt Stitches offers this list as well.

              OK, so here is my closest to home that I have not found...

              1.6 mi SW  Aylsworth View by Kealia    - posted DNF last weekend
              1.8 mi SW  Garden of Eden by Kealia   - posted DNF and haven't had a chance to return
              2.0 mi SW  Twinkletoes, Revised by The Groin   - posted DNF because of lack of swimsuits
                    and time
              2.2 mi W   the cache of roaring camp (?) by David, Noelle & Reggie  - posted DNF and still
                    don't get it
              3.1 mi S   Pinogop Cache by capnjack46  - NEW

              Chickasaw

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 23, 2004
                Actually, I find the DNF stories more fun to read sometimes than the
                little smiley ones. I know, it's kind of sick, but that's the way I
                am. Ironically, I don't try to make my caches impossible to find.
                Heck, I dole out extra hints for people to ask.

                Here's my list:

                5.5mi (3/4) Bridge Marsh by Alikat (GCKNTT)- Over $100 bucks later
                in kayak rental fees and soaking wet, I get to proudly state I gave
                this one my all. Alikat emailed me later saying that in one of my
                photos the subject was less than 2 ft away (as if that's going to
                make me feel better);)

                6.7mi (3/1) Morning at the Beach (disabled) by kablooey (GCG2NF)-
                One of the first puzzles that I solved, I made three trips out before
                asking the big bloo for some help. Turns out to be missing and has
                been disabled for over a year now :( I think this one may have
                provoked Hemlock to post the now infamous "better clean up that
                disabled list, or I'm going to start archiving" post on the forums.

                8.5mi (2/1) I'm a Baaaaaad Boy! by DavidT21 & Fisherwoman (GCGB5D)-
                Another one that was disabled for a very long time. When it finally
                got checked on, it turns out to be still there. I ran out the next
                day or so, but the muggles were everywhere. Plus the fact it's near
                some restrooms, made me fear I might get arrested for being some kind
                of pervert.

                Honorable Mentions:

                (4.5/2) Black Box by georgeandmary (GC6937)
                (2/1)Casa de Cache by georgeandmary (GC4582)

                Actually, not very close to me, but I always beg to stop to make a
                search when we're doing the drive to the mountains. If I have an
                innate fear of IC caches, I think I've developed a downright dread of
                g&m caches. BB hasn't been found for well over a year now and my
                wife helped me with the solution (a puzzle cache). Made a couple of
                searches, and I'm even beginning to get sympathy email (Darn! and I
                saw Fizzy and Marky this weekend; I should've asked them where it
                was). The Casa cache is a submicro in some old farm equipment. My
                son loves stopping here, but I think he's beginning to worry about me
                scrounging around in a bunch of rusted tractors and trucks for a
                breath mint container.

                Happy Holidays,
                Touchstone

                --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, Gabrielle Garrett <go2garrett@s...>

                Service.
              • Ed Hall
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 23, 2004
                  I live up in San Jose and was pleasantly surprised a little over a year
                  ago when some thoughtful geocacher hid a cache just over a tenth of a
                  mile from my house. The cache is hidden in a small park I have been to
                  many times. Any cache within easy walking distance is a good thing.

                  Imagine my surprise then when a later cache was hidden even closer --
                  this one (still active) is only 250 feet from my front door. Yeow!

                  Cache on!

                  -Ed (Buxley)

                  --
                  Ed Hall (edhall@...) http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/
                  "There's a hell of a universe next door: let's go!" - e. e. cummings

                • Sergeant Stitches
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 23, 2004
                    Re: [CCGC] Re: Name your closest to home caches and did you hide any? OK, for those of you who asked ..... attached is a photo of the Buck knife FTF prize from Pinogop.  The best part is, I had one just like this in High School, but lost it when I went off to college....  so it's kind of like finding a part of my own history.... (Alright, enough sentimentalism for now.)

                    -Lance

                    From: Gabrielle Garrett <go2garrett@...>
                    Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:39:18 -0800 (PST)
                    To: ccgca@yahoogroups.com

                    Yeah, I want a Cruz Commando picture of that buck knife too!

                    Touchstone, you got me on Chasing Amy.  I'm not giving away the actual cache destination.  That is Blockbuster's coordinates which is closest to my home.

                    Gotta do a "field trip" to your area for caching soon.  The only Touchstone Cache I have found so far is "Elkhorn Slough" virtual last Mother's Day. That was a great family outting for us.

                    Happy Holiday Trails!
                    Chickasaw

                    touchstone12002 <msmelser@...> wrote:

                    OK, here's mine.  Boy, kind of depressing now that I think about it.
                    Looks like I live out in the desert or something ;)

                    1.2mi   Another ammo box, with a view! by Jim and Jeanette
                    1.4mi   Spooner's West - "Spoons and PEZ Galore" by Just a short Walk
                    1.7mi   Manza MUD by lsdsquirrels (GCK285)
                    1.8mi   Joe Manzanita by Touchstone (GCHD2E)
                    3.4mi   Little and Red by The Plunketts (GCG451)

                    Now I have to ask Chikasaw: are those the posted coords for Chasing
                    Amy, or did you actually sit through that movie and figure out the
                    real ones?

                    I had to laugh at the Sarge's first two closest NF's.  Both IC
                    caches.  I usually find his one star difficulty caches are equal to
                    my three stars.  I have such a notoriously bad record of finding his
                    caches that I'm almost afraid to go out and find them anymore :D

                    And another thing: Are we going to get a pic of that 30 year old Buck
                    knife FTF Prize that the Cruz Cammando Jr Squad found today or are we
                    going to have to wait for the next Event Cache?

                    Merry Caching Christmas to All,
                    Touchstone

                    --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Gabrielle" <go2garrett@s...> wrote:

                    > Hello everyone:
                    >
                    > This isn't a poll, but something fun to know about each other.  I
                    > think all of us bring up our "closest to home" cache list alot and
                    > see pretty much the same thing at the top of the list each time.
                    > Since all of our lists are different, I thought it would be great
                    fun
                    > to see what we come up with.  I will start:
                    >
                    > Home Coordinates: in Scotts Valley, CA
                    >
                    > Closest to home caches:
                    >    .5 mi - Chasing Amy by Kealia
                    >    .5 mi - Linear Park by Kealia
                    >    .7 mi - Camp Evers Fish Park by Kealia
                    >    .9 mi - Sky Park Micro View by ynots4   * mine!*
                    >

                    > You next ;-)
                    >
                    > Chickasaw (of ynots4)

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Get unlimited calls to

                    U.S./Canada  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12909cbab/M=324658.5816620.6854924.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065786:HM/EXP=1103870421/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12iehilvl/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1103784021130132>

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Rick Lagerstrom
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 24, 2004
                      Howdy,

                      This is a kewl idea.  Now, if I can figure out where I am, then I can list the caches that are close.  Then, I can go out and find them.  Sounds like fun!  So here are eight that are close to home that I haven�t yet gone out to find.  There isn�t any reason I haven�t found them yet other than I just haven�t gone after them.  I am sure we�ll find them soon.

                      1.3 miles:
                      Deaf, Dumb, and Blind Kid by Touchstone (GCH0YP)
                      1.5 miles:
                      Daley Planet by Touchstone (GCHJC4)
                      1.8 miles:
                      Abracadabra by Touchstone (GCH2D1)
                      2.0 miles:
                      X Marks the Spot by AquaDyne (GC4236)
                      2.9 miles:
                      Pole Position (Notaries) by GeoROCKS! (GCKW7Q)
                      2.9 miles:
                      Spiders by the Dozen Three (Part 1) by SpiderTracks (GCA814)
                      2.9 miles:
                      Spiders by the Dozen Three (Part 2) by SpiderTracks (GCA817)
                      3.3 miles:
                      Mail Call of the Wild by AltDotAir (GCB268)

                      For those that I have hidden that are close to home, my little list follows.  Most are well visited.  I have to double check WestLog Penney Cache as it has not been visited for a couple of months or so.

                      1.2 miles:
                      Bullwinkle's Nest by westlog (GCJCYA)
                      4.1 miles:
                      Griffin's Lair by westlog (GCJYH9)
                      5.2 miles:
                      WestLog Penney Cache by westlog (GCK026)
                      6.3 miles:
                      Garrison View by westlog (GCJCY4)

                      And with that, Merry Christmas to all.  I hope you get all the good stuff (toys) you want from Santa.

                      73 de WestLog  Rick  ;-)

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                               Yahoo! Groups Links

                      73 es Take good care,  Rick  KN6FR
                      Adjunct Professor, Golden Gate University
                      President, ECTAR, Inc.; Executive Director, CARTOG
                      Director, Training & Operations, NPSARC
                      rick@...   kn6fr@...    kn6fr@...
                      Get Radio Active!!   ;-)

                    • Stephanie Cottrell Bryant
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 31, 2005
                        Ones closest to my house that I haven't found:

                        Chasing Amy (never going to do this one-- I hate that movie)
                        Sky Park Micro View (I tried on Saturday, but didn't find it)

                        I think ynots4 must live just down the street from me.

                        --mortaine
                      • Gabrielle

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 1 6:46 AM
                              Nah, I'm in Scotts Valley (so are the 2 caches I listed). My husband
                              goes up to Hollister to go 4-wheeling pretty regularly, but I don't
                              know if I've ever even been.

                              --Stephanie

                              On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:15:40 -0800 (PST), David L. Norris
                              <dlnorris@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Stephanie,
                              > I am on San Juan Rd. in Hollister.
                              > Are
                              > you indeed in Hollister? Peace and Harmony. Bear

                              --
                              Stephanie Bryant
                              mortaine@...
                              http://www.mortaine.com
                            • Stephanie Bryant
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 1 6:49 AM
                                I can't even think of who I could ask for that. My aversion to it has
                                something to do with something I supposedly did while drunk, which I
                                do not remember, but which my friends have found not-so-subtle ways to
                                tease me about.

                                So, I think not.

                                But someone should do a Scotts Valley cache centered around the cool
                                movies at locally-owned DVD To Go, in my opinion. Much better
                                selection of the indie films, and their prices are very competitive.

                                --Stephanie

                                On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:06:15 -0800 (PST), Gabrielle
                                <go2garrett@...> wrote:

                                > Maybe we do, maybe we don't. But we are in Scotts Valley. The Chasing Amy
                                > cache is a nice hike that our family enjoyed, btw. Maybe you can get
                                > someone else to watch the movie and collect the answers for you!
                                >
                                > - Chickasaw (of ynots4)
                                >
                                > Stephanie Cottrell Bryant <mortaine@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > Ones closest to my house that I haven't found:
                                >
                                > Chasing Amy (never going to do this one-- I hate that movie)
                                > Sky Park Micro View (I tried on Saturday, but didn't find it)
                                >
                                > I think ynots4 must live just down the street from me.
                                >
                                > --mortaine

                                Stephanie Bryant
                                mortaine@...
                                http://www.mortaine.com
                              • jesus_hiding_place
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 1 7:53 AM
                                  Home coordinates: in Marina, CA

                                  Closest to home caches:
                                  .2 mi - Close to Home by jesus_hiding_place *mine!*
                                  .5 mi - Johnny Cache by Biggeeks
                                  .6 mi - K - CACHE by C&MMorris
                                  .8 mi - Central Coast Seedbank (RELOADED! 8/15) by biggeeks

                                  JHP
                                  Psalm 32:7