REGARDING RANGERS REMOVING CACHES AT POINT LOBOS

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2007
      I suspect the same thing is happening at Garapata.

      If talking with rangers I would make the point that it is more
      important to petition geocaching.com for archive than to remove the
      cache. Removing the cache without removing the listing means people
      searching for the cache end up trampling a larger area in their
      fruitless search. If there is something to find people will not trample
      as much because they quit trampling stuff when they make the find.
      Consequently -- as far as the landscape is concerned -- a listing with
      no cache is worse than a cache.

      In my opinion people hiding caches in parks should always place within
      reach of the trail and clearly state in the description that no
      bushwhacking is required. Reminders to carry out trash and be
      respectful of delicate ground cover can't hurt.

      rainbow_guyz
    • Corby Dale
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2007
        Our experience at Point Lobos: It is the case that a
        ranger at Point Lobos is repeatedly (4-5 replacements
        so far) removing one of our caches because that ranger
        does not like it there. The cache is on-trail and
        within the fenced trail boundary along the Whaler's
        Cove trail. The other caches in the park remain
        unmolested, indicating that the ranger just happened
        upon this one and has not bothered to identify all
        cache locations within that park, but returns to see
        if this one has been replaced so that they can remove
        it again. The ranger has not contacted us to ask us
        not to replace the cache, but has instead made a
        flippant comment to another hiker "yeah, I know about
        geocaching, I've got 5 of them sitting in my desk" and
        continues to remove the caches as they get replaced.
        It is very frustrating, as it is totally allowed and
        within bounds, but we cannot even work with this
        person since they'd rather be passive/aggressive...

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • monty wolf
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2007
          sounds like you need to discuss this with the ranger instead of replacing the cache.

          perhaps all it would take to get him off of your back and get your caches returned, and replaced, is just a little face to face.

          he probably thinks you're the bad guy in this situation.

          you never know!

          --
          monty wolf
          pebble beach ,ca