Point Lobos

  • likeafox51
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007
      While hiking at Point Lobos today, we talked with the Rangers about
      their policy on Geocaches in the park. It was my understanding that
      State Parks are okay for caching but Federal are not. Point Lobos is a
      State Reserve, so I wanted to clarify for myself before putting a
      cache in that 'perfect' spot. We were told that the Rangers remove
      them when they find them off the trails because they don't want people
      going off trail. The head ranger is also concerned about the
      wildlife when a cache turns into litter. Just wanted to pass the info
      along as it explains why caches seem to go missing there.
      Fox51
    • Bud Gawlik

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007

          On Dec 4, 2007, at 7:46 PM, likeafox51 wrote:

          The head ranger is also concerned about the wildlife when a cache turns into litter.

          Just how do these incorrect notions get started?  Caches don't turn into litter.  They have owners who care for them,
          and in the rare cases when the owners abandon them they are usually adopted, or are removed.  Only in very rare cases
          do they turn into litter.  Certainly they would pale in comparison to actual litter (probably by 10,000 to 1, I would estimate).

          Now, I've seen some caches disguised as litter, but they don't last long usually, because they get picked up by muggles
          (especially if the litter it's disguised as can be recycled for money ;) )

          --Marky

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2007
            Hi Fox51,

            In general State Parks have been fine with cache placements,
            although I suspect it is not an issue at the top of their agenda.
            In addition, each Park/Reserve belongs to a District, and it is the
            Head Ranger for the District that sets the Policy for the Parks that
            they manage. In Monterey (which Point Lobos is part of), the
            District Office is out on Garden Road. If you want a more
            definitive answer before placing a cache, I would suggest contacting
            the District Office. Chatting with Rangers on the trail can result
            in wrong answers and incorrect assumptions, as Marky pointed out.

            As far as Federal Lands are concerned, the only agencies that have
            specifically banned caching are the National Park Service, and the
            National Wildlife Refuges. To the best of my knowledge, Pinnacles
            National Monument is the only NPS managed land in Monterey County,
            and the only NWR is the Salinas River NWR near the Dole Plant on Hwy
            1 where it crosses the Salinas River. To complicate matters a bit,
            Fort Ord BLM has imposed an Emergency Moratorium on all new cache
            placements while they evaluate Geocaching on the lands that the BLM
            manages out there.

            - Touchstone