READY TO STASH A CACHE [2]

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2007
      So Ord is out of play because of bureaucracy.

      Coe is out of range without burning fossil fuels - as a practical
      matter Manzanita is about as far as I can go in that direction on a
      bicycle. Traffic becomes a problem on Castroville Boulevard.

      Soquel Demonstration Forest - I have bicycled past there quite a few
      times. Too far for regular out and back in one day type trips.

      Would prefer to avoid creating a situation where people try to turn a
      not-for-drive-up cache into a drive-up cache. So that kind of knocks
      most of the Monterey Bay Coastal trail out of play. Also, judging
      from all the restrictions on "CCGC-MBCBP Adopt-a-Trail" I had assumed
      the city's bureaucratic machinery was down on caching. Noticed
      someone didn't read and dropped a TB in there despite published
      restrictions - I will rescue the TB if it remains on the weekend.

      There doesn't appear to be egress in "Dunes State Park" other than
      the holes which have been torn in the fence. There is no place I know
      of which says welcome to "Dunes State Park". Just cables and
      chainlink fence. Have I missed something?
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 29, 2007
        There are three commonly used access points to get into the Fort Ord
        Dunes State Park:

        1. The Southern point near the "message" dune near the Sand City
        Mega Mall (N36 37.566 W121 50.454). Requires a bit of pushing
        through some deep sand until you can get on the paved road. Not
        extremely pleasent but doable.

        2. The underpass near the first stage of Semaphore Sector Sketch
        (GCH00E)(N36 39.118 W121 48.877). This is the most popular access
        point, as well as one slightly South that goes under the freeway,
        but is a bit harder to find. I've seen the surfer types also hop
        the 10th street overpass barricade, but I don't recommend that sort
        of thing. The underpass that I mentioned above appears to be widely
        accepted and people even park there cars there to access the dunes.

        3. The Northern access is right at the border between the Dunes and
        the Marina Beach State Park (N36 40.821 W121 48.550). The fence
        between the two borders is pretty much broken down and smashed flat,
        so it's a matter of just walking across it. Street parking is
        nearby, although I usually avoid parking right at the end of the cul
        de sac due to the nearby residents.

        Like I've said, the Rangers don't seem to mind people being out
        there, although I would suggest staying on either the paved roads,
        or the one or two surfer access trails. The eventual development of
        the Park is supposed to include some boardwalks and trails. I
        imagine the one or two trails that I know about will probably be
        established as regular trails, but otherwise I would assume that the
        rest of the area will be closed for native plant habitat. I know
        the Coastal Commission handed over the land to the State Parks with
        some great reluctance and some arm twisting for fear that the area
        would become overused and destroyed like many of the Monterey and
        Marina beaches.

        - Touchstone