Re: READY TO STASH A CACHE

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2007
      Hi ca_bicycler,

      That sounds great, but unfortunately there is an Emergency
      Moratorium on all new Geocache placements on the Fort Ord BLM area.
      To place a cache on the BLM portion of the old Fort Ord reservation,
      would require specific permission of the Project Manager, Eric
      Morgan who oversees the management of the Public Lands for the BLM
      District Office based out of Hollister. I hate to discourage you,
      but chances are slim that he would grant permission, but you can
      give him a call and give it a try. As I always say, the squeeky
      wheel gets the oil :)

      To kind of complicate matters with the BLM issue, is the recent
      acquisition of lands sorrounding the Western portion of the BLM
      Lands by the Fort Ord Reuse Authority (FORA) as part of an ESCA
      aggreement with the Army. Under the ESCA (I can't remember off the
      top of my head right now what that clever acronym stands for), the
      FORA will gain title of lands basically from General Jim Moore Blvd
      on one side and Intergarrison on the other, that abutt up against
      the BLM Lands, ostensibly to take over the remaining clean up of
      unexploded ordinance (aka explosives) that are still left over from
      the old Army Base days. This process, presumeably, will take nearly
      seven years to complete. All Geocaches in the affected area have
      been Archived per FORA request.

      I don't know how far afield you want to go, but two other bike
      friendly parks that you might consider would be Soquel Demo Forest
      and Henry Coe State Park. Both Parks are relatively remote and
      still have a fair amount of room to place caches.

      Best of luck,
      Mike
      aka Touchstone