READY TO STASH A CACHE

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2007
      Interested in hiding my first cache.

      Preferred area would be BLM Public Lands on old Fort Ord.

      Do I need specific permission or is there a blanket approval?

      Are there other recommended areas?

      I am most interested in locations with low co-efficient of hassle. I
      get more than enough contact with bureaucratic machinery whilst at the
      workplace. So looking for bureaucracy-free recreation.

      BLM lands are also favoured because I can get there on my bicycle
      without dealing with too many hostile motorists. More exercise that way
      and less carbon emissions...
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 29, 2007
        Hi ca_bicycler,

        That sounds great, but unfortunately there is an Emergency
        Moratorium on all new Geocache placements on the Fort Ord BLM area.
        To place a cache on the BLM portion of the old Fort Ord reservation,
        would require specific permission of the Project Manager, Eric
        Morgan who oversees the management of the Public Lands for the BLM
        District Office based out of Hollister. I hate to discourage you,
        but chances are slim that he would grant permission, but you can
        give him a call and give it a try. As I always say, the squeeky
        wheel gets the oil :)

        To kind of complicate matters with the BLM issue, is the recent
        acquisition of lands sorrounding the Western portion of the BLM
        Lands by the Fort Ord Reuse Authority (FORA) as part of an ESCA
        aggreement with the Army. Under the ESCA (I can't remember off the
        top of my head right now what that clever acronym stands for), the
        FORA will gain title of lands basically from General Jim Moore Blvd
        on one side and Intergarrison on the other, that abutt up against
        the BLM Lands, ostensibly to take over the remaining clean up of
        unexploded ordinance (aka explosives) that are still left over from
        the old Army Base days. This process, presumeably, will take nearly
        seven years to complete. All Geocaches in the affected area have
        been Archived per FORA request.

        I don't know how far afield you want to go, but two other bike
        friendly parks that you might consider would be Soquel Demo Forest
        and Henry Coe State Park. Both Parks are relatively remote and
        still have a fair amount of room to place caches.

        Best of luck,
        Mike
        aka Touchstone