Copy of a note I posted on Veteran's Cache Page

  • Matthew Wall
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9 4:59 PM
      There was a NO FIND post today for Veteran's Cache -- the oldest cache
      in the entire Central Coast -- from a conscientious finder who was
      scared off by the NO TRESPASSING signs. We're not the owners of this
      cache but have been guardian angels of it from time to time, and below
      is the note I posted to the cache page.

      Matt (Alt of AltDotAir)

      --

      note about the NO TRESPASSING signs.

      The city of Monterey got a permanent easement on the use of this green
      space by the public three decades ago when it allowed the development
      above the trail in question. This allows the public to walk around
      this area as an extension of the park's greenway, including the area
      where the cache is.

      Part of the homeowner's association is in a dispute with the City of
      Monterey about who pays for the maintenance and fire-control brush
      cutbacks of this particular stretch of greenway. The matter is in a
      lawsuit right now, and the city is extremely likely to win. However,
      as a sort of "in your face" move, the homeowner's assocation put up
      "no trespassing" signs in the area for which there is a dispute. These
      signs are, to the best of my knowledge, completely illegal, and the
      local residents below the hill have virtually all complained to the
      city about them. Off the record, the city officials tell us the signs
      are going to go ASAP and they're just as annoyed as we are, but on the
      record, they can't comment because of the pending litigation. The
      "ASAP" is apparently as soon as the lawsuit makes its way through the
      courts.

      Is it trespassing? NO. Is it obvious to the gentle impact cacher? No.
      My applause to the cachers who are being respectful of the signs. IMHO
      -- fwiw, and take that with whatever grain of salt you must -- these
      NO TRESPASSING signs are just as illegal and annoying as graffitti,
      and should be given considerably less attention. So, I say, go and
      find this cache, which is the oldest one in the entire central coast.
      The likelihood of your being arrested for trespassing is (again, IMHO
      fwiw) certainly close to nil.
    • Susie (Coralgeo)
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10 12:31 PM
        Hi Matt,
        Thanks for looking out for this cache and for posting the note. Let us know the outcome of
        the issue whenver it happens.
        -Coralgeo