Re: [CCGC] Re: Camp, Cafe and Pinnacles March

    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 13 7:17 PM
      I am alway glad to comply for you, as well as mystify with my caches when I can.  I don't think one person should do all of the caches.  It would be good to get volunteers so that several people can "Show their stuff".  How about 4 (people/group-teams) volunteering to put 3 -4 caches out each.  Bud, if you would like for me to coordinate this for your event I would be honored.  Let me know

      ps  There is a small monument on the west side of Tres Pinos that is naked - but I didn't see it - Really

      It is too bad we can't have a Worker of Wood style cache perp session for those coming who are not up to walking in the mountains but we might get beat up by the Rangers for releasing spray paint propellent into the atmosphere or something.

      leslierussellgreen <swartz@...> wrote:
      We are looking forward to the fun of hunting some more of your
      caches.  Please just save us a cache-hiding spot in "downtown"
      Tres Pinos .  We don't have any caches ready-to-go, but we have
      two spots in mind.  If you have 10 or so spots further down the
      road, this will be quite a trip !

      Think you are good with 40 minutes from Tres Pinos to
      Pinnacles - we have made it in 45min, without rushing, from
      Hollister (south edge of town) to pay-station at entrance to
      Pinnacles Nat'l Monument.  Cachers will have to wait to pick up
      the enroute caches on the way back !! Cannot stress enough that
      we need to get there early if anyone is going to survive hiking in
      the heat we can expect by the end of March.  But even after a hard
      day, a dozen or two caches on the way home will stir up some
      fresh energy.
      Figure the entrance gate / pay station will be open when we get
      there.  Depending on how crowded is the park that morning, we
      would prefer to gather at the Bear Creek visitor's center, which is
      one of the earthcaches (just sign the guestbook) and a good
      place to fill water bottles, use restroom, etc.   If we get sent to
      overflow-parking, we will have to hike up to Bear Creek anyways
      to get started on the trail to the other earthcaches.

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@...>
      wrote:

      > Momma and I went out there today and got lots of coordinates
      for the field trip.  I was wondering why no caches in the park
      area.  I have 20 caches READY to set out.  I spotted numerous
      places on the way in to hide caches on that side of town.  My wife
      is EXTREMELY anti-caching so when she is along I don't get to
      play.  I did pick up Momoma's "Stop Stareing at me" but
      grummble grumble.  Without stopping it took 40 min to get there
      from Tres Pinos to the campground store.  There are currently 4
      caches on the way, ( I have already found them) so I do not think
      30 min is time enough between breakfast and the hike.  I could
      EASILY put out 10 caches before getting into the park but it
      would slow everyone down, they might never get to the hike.   I
      think you need to to allow an hour because if the Gate is not
      manned you have to go to the Bear Gulch Visitor Center to sign
      in and buy a visitor pass.  The lady there said to go back out the
      way we came in, cross the bridge and turn left to go
      >  to the Chalone Trail Head Parking area.  That trail goes about
      3.5 mi hike and ends at a trailhead called Balconies and there
      are caves there.  You reach that side from Salinas but she said
      that t rail would be your best bet at seeing wildflowers.  They said
      they have only had 5" of rain  this year so it is going to be lean.  I
      have no experience up there so I can not say one way or another.
      Here are your coordinates:
      >   Flapjack's parking lot (V Small) 36o 47.424N  121o 19.313W
      >   Veranda's Parking Lot    36o 47.409N  121o 19.271W           "0"
      mi

      >   The Pinnicles "Private" campground = www.pinncamp.com
      >   Pinnicles Campground Store  36o 29.624N  121o 08.796W
      23.8 mi.

      >   Pinnicles campground ticket booth  36029.607N   121o
      08.791W
      >   The campground store has sparse supplies at a very high
      price.  Bring your own wood if you are camping.  The sign said
      "Wood Gathers would be Evicted"  They sell wood and presto
      logs
      >                 ------------------------------------------------------------
      >     www.nps.gov/pinn
      > Pinnicle's Front Gate (Closed) 36o 29.273N  121o 09.234W
      24.4 mi
      >   1st Rest Stop viewing area 36o28.944N   121o 09.722W
      (Good Gathering area)
      >   Bear Gulch Visitor Centor 36o 28.881N  121o 10.864W     26
      mi
      >   Chalone Trail head (parking for maybe 10 cars) 36o 29.696N
      121o 10.384W

      >   These people appear very strict and were about to have a cow
      beacuse they saw a boy scout carrying a skateboard down the
      paved road.  No pets are allowed.  I have a snake bite kit.
      Chalone has porta pottie toilets but NO WATER.

      >   By the time of our hike, they expect to have 2 different posters
      of the area wild flowers for sale at the visitor's center

      >   I hope some of this helped  SLOIGO
      >
      > Bud Gawlik <fiftysumtin@...> wrote:
      >     Veranda it is!
      >   Bud
      >
      > leslierussellgreen <swartz@...> wrote:
      >   Bud - emailed you corrected coords for tres pinos - Veranda
      > Cafe - and pinnacles visitor's center.  Don't know coords to
      east
      > campground; maybe they answer their phone and will save
      > someone a trip out there in person.
      > I see you have suggested Flapjacks in Tres Pinos.   We truly
      love
      > their food.  Pretty good prices.  But not as much seating as
      > Veranda cafe, and no outdoor overflow area if this crowd gets
      > big.  Actually, I would discourage Flapjacks just because they
      > have such substantial breakfasts, and you might not want
      > people so bogged down by a big meal before the hiking.
      > - Leslie (Hotshoe, with Russell and Michael)
      >

      > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, Bud Gawlik <fiftysumtin@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I could use the coordinates for the cafe, the campground and
      > the Visitor's Center.
      > >   Do you live nearny?
      > >   Bud 50sumtin
      > >

      > > "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@> wrote:
      > >   his sounds GREAT, You can count on me and three or four
      of
      > my
      > > geocaching visitors.  If you need any help contact me and I
      > would be
      > > glad to help any way I can for your event.  dlnorris@
      > > SLOIGO aka David L. Norris
      > >
      > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "bud" <fiftysumtin@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm getting ready to submit a cache description for a
      > GeoEvent for
      > > > March 25: Camp, Cafe, and Pinnacles March. This will be
      in
      > the
      > > vein of
      > > > the Koffee and Kayaking that Touchstone put together in
      > December.
      > > >
      > > > Cachers may log this event if they do any one of the
      following:

      > > > Camp at the private campground just outside the east side
      of
      > the
      > > > Pinnacles East entrance, March 24 or 25.
      > > > Join a gathering at the Flapjack's Country Cafe for
      breakfast
      > > March 25
      > > > just south of Tres Pinos,and/or
      > > > Join a group of cachers for a Wildflower hike in the
      Pinnacles
      > > March
      > > > 25.
      > > >
      > > > I was thinking that breakfast would be between 8:30 am
      and
      > 9:30 am
      > > and
      > > > that we could then regroup at the east side visitor's center
      at
      > 10
      > > > get the hike started.
      > > >
      > > > Comments are welcome!
      > > >
      > > > Bud

      > >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay
      > Outdoors

      > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
      of
      > Service.
      > >

      > > ---------------------------------
      > >

      > > ---------------------------------
      > > Brings words and photos together (easily) with
      > >  PhotoMail  - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

      >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay
      Outdoors

      > ---------------------------------
      >   Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews,
      & more on new and used cars.

      >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay
      Outdoors

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------

    • bud
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 13 8:30 PM
        Thank you so much for the coordinates!
        I thgink that we are set on the east side and the Verona Cafe. I
        will allow an hour from the cafe to the Park trail head.

        Bud

      • bud
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 13 8:47 PM
          Thank you all for your caching enthusiasm!

          I think that the "geoevent" will have it's hands full with camping
          at the private campground, meeting at the Veanda Cafe, meeting at
          the Visitor's Center, and hiking in the Pinnacles on Saturday.

          Based on the threads, I will allow for one hour between leaving the
          Veranda Cafe (9:30) and starting the 10-mile hike at the Visitor's
          Center (10:30) which should leave at least 8 hours of daylight for
          the hike set for the end of March pre-Daylight Savings Time.

          FYI: to qualify as a geoevent, I probably CANNOT reference the
          finding of caches as part of the event if I want to get the event
          qualified as a geoevent.

          That said, anyone who wishes to place caches to "enhance" the before
          and after event possibilities is free to do so! After all, there is
          the Friday before and the Sunday after the event unaccounted for ...

          Again, thank you for your enthusiasm and support!

          50sumtin

        • Susie Cochran
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 13 8:56 PM
            Hey Ben
            Good to hear from you!
            Hope things are going well in the Windy City. Brrr!

            -Susie

            On Feb 12, 2006, at 7:05 AM, teambiggeeks wrote:

            > Hi All,
            > And greetings from stinkin' cold Chicago. I was just reading this
            > thread and wanted to mention that one of the less active Biggeeks is
            > a full fledged ranger at Pinnacles, and I may be able to solicit him
            > for any help if needed.
            > But even if you don't need any help, be sure to keep your eyes open
            > for a shorter hispanic ranger named Robles, and give'em a "Team
            > biggeeks rules" if you see him :) Man, we would so go to this if we
            > still lived there. Oh well, hope everyone has fun!
            >
            > Biggeek Ben
            > benjamin.haberthur@...
          • bud
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 14 6:44 PM
              A quick note:

              FYI, the "Camp, Veranda Cafe and Pinnacles March" (GCRPH4) geoevent
              has been approved!

              Hope to see many of you there!

              I recommend carpooling!

              50sumtin

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 16 7:01 PM
                  Hi, Dave!

                  The event was VERY specifically written to be VERY wide open for who could log this as an attended event.

                  You do not need to do the 10-mile hike to log the event. In fact, just meeting at the Visitor Center qualifies!

                  I do look forward to meeting you!

                  Bud 50sumtin