[CCGC] Re: Camp, Cafe and Pinnacles March

  • SGT Dragon
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 12, 2006
      Regarding the lack of caches in Pinnacles, this sentence from the
      geocaching.com website probably sums it up:

      <I>You will be in violation of federal regulation by placing a cache
      in any area administered by the National Park Service (US). The
      National Park regulations are intended to protect the fragile
      environment, and historical and cultural areas found in the parks.</I>

      There ARE earthcaches there though, and I totally look forward to
      checking them out.

      Best,
      Kai
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 12, 2006
        I could put 20 caches outside of the Pinnicles with NO problem at all between Tres Pinos and the turn off and be perfectly legal in doing so.

        SGT Dragon <aznvet@...> wrote:
        Regarding the lack of caches in Pinnacles, this sentence from the
        geocaching.com website probably sums it up:

        <I>You will be in violation of federal regulation by placing a cache
        in any area administered by the National Park Service (US). The
        National Park regulations are intended to protect the fragile
        environment, and historical and cultural areas found in the parks.</I>

        There ARE earthcaches there though, and I totally look forward to
        checking them out.

        Best,
        Kai

      • leslierussellgreen
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
          We are looking forward to the fun of hunting some more of your
          caches. Please just save us a cache-hiding spot in "downtown"
          Tres Pinos . We don't have any caches ready-to-go, but we have
          two spots in mind. If you have 10 or so spots further down the
          road, this will be quite a trip !

          Think you are good with 40 minutes from Tres Pinos to
          Pinnacles - we have made it in 45min, without rushing, from
          Hollister (south edge of town) to pay-station at entrance to
          Pinnacles Nat'l Monument. Cachers will have to wait to pick up
          the enroute caches on the way back !! Cannot stress enough that
          we need to get there early if anyone is going to survive hiking in
          the heat we can expect by the end of March. But even after a hard
          day, a dozen or two caches on the way home will stir up some
          fresh energy.
          Figure the entrance gate / pay station will be open when we get
          there. Depending on how crowded is the park that morning, we
          would prefer to gather at the Bear Creek visitor's center, which is
          one of the earthcaches (just sign the guestbook) and a good
          place to fill water bottles, use restroom, etc. If we get sent to
          overflow-parking, we will have to hike up to Bear Creek anyways
          to get started on the trail to the other earthcaches.

          --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@...>
          wrote:

          > Momma and I went out there today and got lots of coordinates
          for the field trip. I was wondering why no caches in the park
          area. I have 20 caches READY to set out. I spotted numerous
          places on the way in to hide caches on that side of town. My wife
          is EXTREMELY anti-caching so when she is along I don't get to
          play. I did pick up Momoma's "Stop Stareing at me" but
          grummble grumble. Without stopping it took 40 min to get there
          from Tres Pinos to the campground store. There are currently 4
          caches on the way, ( I have already found them) so I do not think
          30 min is time enough between breakfast and the hike. I could
          EASILY put out 10 caches before getting into the park but it
          would slow everyone down, they might never get to the hike. I
          think you need to to allow an hour because if the Gate is not
          manned you have to go to the Bear Gulch Visitor Center to sign
          in and buy a visitor pass. The lady there said to go back out the
          way we came in, cross the bridge and turn left to go
          > to the Chalone Trail Head Parking area. That trail goes about
          3.5 mi hike and ends at a trailhead called Balconies and there
          are caves there. You reach that side from Salinas but she said
          that t rail would be your best bet at seeing wildflowers. They said
          they have only had 5" of rain this year so it is going to be lean. I
          have no experience up there so I can not say one way or another.
          Here are your coordinates:
          > Flapjack's parking lot (V Small) 36o 47.424N 121o 19.313W
          > Veranda's Parking Lot 36o 47.409N 121o 19.271W "0"
          mi

          > The Pinnicles "Private" campground = www.pinncamp.com
          > Pinnicles Campground Store 36o 29.624N 121o 08.796W
          23.8 mi.

          > Pinnicles campground ticket booth 36029.607N 121o
          08.791W
          > The campground store has sparse supplies at a very high
          price. Bring your own wood if you are camping. The sign said
          "Wood Gathers would be Evicted" They sell wood and presto
          logs
          > www.nps.gov/pinn
          > Pinnicle's Front Gate (Closed) 36o 29.273N 121o 09.234W
          24.4 mi
          > 1st Rest Stop viewing area 36o28.944N 121o 09.722W
          (Good Gathering area)
          > Bear Gulch Visitor Centor 36o 28.881N 121o 10.864W 26
          mi
          > Chalone Trail head (parking for maybe 10 cars) 36o 29.696N
          121o 10.384W

          > These people appear very strict and were about to have a cow
          beacuse they saw a boy scout carrying a skateboard down the
          paved road. No pets are allowed. I have a snake bite kit.
          Chalone has porta pottie toilets but NO WATER.

          > By the time of our hike, they expect to have 2 different posters
          of the area wild flowers for sale at the visitor's center

          > I hope some of this helped SLOIGO
          >
          > Bud Gawlik <fiftysumtin@...> wrote:
          > Veranda it is!
          > Bud
          >
          > leslierussellgreen <swartz@...> wrote:
          > Bud - emailed you corrected coords for tres pinos - Veranda
          > Cafe - and pinnacles visitor's center. Don't know coords to
          east
          > campground; maybe they answer their phone and will save
          > someone a trip out there in person.
          > I see you have suggested Flapjacks in Tres Pinos. We truly
          love
          > their food. Pretty good prices. But not as much seating as
          > Veranda cafe, and no outdoor overflow area if this crowd gets
          > big. Actually, I would discourage Flapjacks just because they
          > have such substantial breakfasts, and you might not want
          > people so bogged down by a big meal before the hiking.
          > - Leslie (Hotshoe, with Russell and Michael)
          >

          > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, Bud Gawlik <fiftysumtin@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I could use the coordinates for the cafe, the campground and
          > the Visitor's Center.
          > > Do you live nearny?
          > > Bud 50sumtin
          > >

          > > "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@> wrote:
          > > his sounds GREAT, You can count on me and three or four
          of
          > my
          > > geocaching visitors. If you need any help contact me and I
          > would be
          > > glad to help any way I can for your event. dlnorris@
          > > SLOIGO aka David L. Norris
          > >
          > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "bud" <fiftysumtin@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I'm getting ready to submit a cache description for a
          > GeoEvent for
          > > > March 25: Camp, Cafe, and Pinnacles March. This will be
          in
          > the
          > > vein of
          > > > the Koffee and Kayaking that Touchstone put together in
          > December.
          > > >
          > > > Cachers may log this event if they do any one of the
          following:

          > > > Camp at the private campground just outside the east side
          of
          > the
          > > > Pinnacles East entrance, March 24 or 25.
          > > > Join a gathering at the Flapjack's Country Cafe for
          breakfast
          > > March 25
          > > > just south of Tres Pinos,and/or
          > > > Join a group of cachers for a Wildflower hike in the
          Pinnacles

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
            I am alway glad to comply for you, as well as mystify with my caches when I can.  I don't think one person should do all of the caches.  It would be good to get volunteers so that several people can "Show their stuff".  How about 4 (people/group-teams) volunteering to put 3 -4 caches out each.  Bud, if you would like for me to coordinate this for your event I would be honored.  Let me know

            ps  There is a small monument on the west side of Tres Pinos that is naked - but I didn't see it - Really

            It is too bad we can't have a Worker of Wood style cache perp session for those coming who are not up to walking in the mountains but we might get beat up by the Rangers for releasing spray paint propellent into the atmosphere or something.

            wrote:

> [...]
            at
            > 10
            > > > get the hike started.
            > > >
            > > > Comments are welcome!
            > > >
            > > > Bud

            > >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay
            > Outdoors

            > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
            of
            > Service.
            > >

            > > ---------------------------------
            > >

            > > ---------------------------------
            > > Brings words and photos together (easily) with
            > >  PhotoMail  - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

            >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay
            Outdoors

            > ---------------------------------
            >   Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews,
            & more on new and used cars.

            >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay

          • bud
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
              Thank you so much for the coordinates!
              I thgink that we are set on the east side and the Verona Cafe. I
              will allow an hour from the cafe to the Park trail head.

              Bud
> [...]
              > > and
              > > > that we could then regroup at the east side visitor's center
              at
              > 10
              > > > get the hike started.
              > > >
              > > > Comments are welcome!
              > > >
              > > > Bud

              > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
              bay
              > Outdoors

              > Service.
              > >

              > > ---------------------------------
              > >

              > > ---------------------------------
              > > Brings words and photos together (easily) with
              > > PhotoMail - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

              > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
              bay Outdoors

              > ---------------------------------
              > Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, &
              more on new and used cars.

              > Central coast california Central coast Monterey

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------

            • bud
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
                Thank you all for your caching enthusiasm!

                I think that the "geoevent" will have it's hands full with camping
                at the private campground, meeting at the Veanda Cafe, meeting at
                the Visitor's Center, and hiking in the Pinnacles on Saturday.

                Based on the threads, I will allow for one hour between leaving the
                Veranda Cafe (9:30) and starting the 10-mile hike at the Visitor's
                Center (10:30) which should leave at least 8 hours of daylight for
                the hike set for the end of March pre-Daylight Savings Time.

                FYI: to qualify as a geoevent, I probably CANNOT reference the
                finding of caches as part of the event if I want to get the event
                qualified as a geoevent.

                That said, anyone who wishes to place caches to "enhance" the before
                and after event possibilities is free to do so! After all, there is
                the Friday before and the Sunday after the event unaccounted for ...

                Again, thank you for your enthusiasm and support!

                50sumtin

> [...]
                > > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
                bay
                > > Outdoors

                > of
                > > Service.
                > > >

                > > > ---------------------------------
                > > >

                > > > ---------------------------------
                > > > Brings words and photos together (easily) with
                > > > PhotoMail - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

                > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
                bay
                > Outdoors
                > >
                > > ---------------------------------
                > > Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews,
                > & more on new and used cars.

                > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
                bay
                > Outdoors

                > Service.
                > >

                > > ---------------------------------

                > Central coast california Central coast Monterey

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------

              • Susie Cochran
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
                  Hey Ben
                  Good to hear from you!
                  Hope things are going well in the Windy City. Brrr!

                  -Susie

                  On Feb 12, 2006, at 7:05 AM, teambiggeeks wrote:

                  > Hi All,
                  > And greetings from stinkin' cold Chicago. I was just reading this
                  > thread and wanted to mention that one of the less active Biggeeks is
                  > a full fledged ranger at Pinnacles, and I may be able to solicit him
                  > for any help if needed.
                  > But even if you don't need any help, be sure to keep your eyes open
                  > for a shorter hispanic ranger named Robles, and give'em a "Team
                  > biggeeks rules" if you see him :) Man, we would so go to this if we
                  > still lived there. Oh well, hope everyone has fun!
                  >
                  > Biggeek Ben
                  > benjamin.haberthur@...
                • bud
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 14, 2006
                    A quick note:

                    FYI, the "Camp, Veranda Cafe and Pinnacles March" (GCRPH4) geoevent
                    has been approved!

                    Hope to see many of you there!

                    I recommend carpooling!

                    50sumtin

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 16, 2006
                        Hi, Dave!

                        The event was VERY specifically written to be VERY wide open for who could log this as an attended event.

                        You do not need to do the 10-mile hike to log the event. In fact, just meeting at the Visitor Center qualifies!

                        I do look forward to meeting you!

                        Bud 50sumtin