Re: [CCGC] Re: Camp, Cafe and Pinnacles March

  • Bud Gawlik
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 12, 2006
      Veranda it is!
      Bud

      leslierussellgreen <swartz@...> wrote:
      Bud - emailed you corrected coords for tres pinos - Veranda
      Cafe - and pinnacles visitor's center.  Don't know coords to east
      campground; maybe they answer their phone and will save
      someone a trip out there in person.
      I see you have suggested Flapjacks in Tres Pinos.   We truly love
      their food.  Pretty good prices.  But not as much seating as
      Veranda cafe, and no outdoor overflow area if this crowd gets
      big.  Actually, I would discourage Flapjacks just because they
      have such substantial breakfasts, and you might not want
      people so bogged down by a big meal before the hiking.
      - Leslie (Hotshoe, with Russell and Michael)

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, Bud Gawlik <fiftysumtin@...>
      wrote:

      > I could use the coordinates for the cafe, the campground and
      the Visitor's Center.
      >   Do you live nearny?
      >   Bud 50sumtin
      >

      > "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@...> wrote:
      >   his sounds GREAT, You can count on me and three or four of
      my
      > geocaching visitors.  If you need any help contact me and I
      would be
      > glad to help any way I can for your event.  dlnorris@...
      > SLOIGO aka David L. Norris
      >
      > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "bud" <fiftysumtin@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm getting ready to submit a cache description for a
      GeoEvent for
      > > March 25: Camp, Cafe, and Pinnacles March. This will be in
      the
      > vein of
      > > the Koffee and Kayaking that Touchstone put together in
      December.

      > > Cachers may log this event if they do any one of the following:
      > >
      > > Camp at the private campground just outside the east side of
      the
      > > Pinnacles East entrance, March 24 or 25.
      > > Join a gathering at the Flapjack's Country Cafe for breakfast
      > March 25
      > > just south of Tres Pinos,and/or
      > > Join a group of cachers for a Wildflower hike in the Pinnacles
      > March
      > > 25.
      > >
      > > I was thinking that breakfast would be between 8:30 am and
      9:30 am
      > and
      > > that we could then regroup at the east side visitor's center at
      10
      > > get the hike started.
      > >
      > > Comments are welcome!
      > >
      > > Bud

      >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay
      Outdoors

      Service.

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 12, 2006
        Hi All,
        And greetings from stinkin' cold Chicago. I was just reading this
        thread and wanted to mention that one of the less active Biggeeks is
        a full fledged ranger at Pinnacles, and I may be able to solicit him
        for any help if needed.
        But even if you don't need any help, be sure to keep your eyes open
        for a shorter hispanic ranger named Robles, and give'em a "Team
        biggeeks rules" if you see him :) Man, we would so go to this if we
        still lived there. Oh well, hope everyone has fun!

        Biggeek Ben
        benjamin.haberthur@...

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 12, 2006
          Momma and I went out there today and got lots of coordinates for the field trip.  I was wondering why no caches in the park area.  I have 20 caches READY to set out.  I spotted numerous places on the way in to hide caches on that side of town.  My wife is EXTREMELY anti-caching so when she is along I don't get to play.  I did pick up Momoma's "Stop Stareing at me" but grummble grumble.  Without stopping it took 40 min to get there from Tres Pinos to the campground store.  There are currently 4 caches on the way, ( I have already found them) so I do not think 30 min is time enough between breakfast and the hike.  I could EASILY put out 10 caches before getting into the park but it would slow everyone down, they might never get to the hike.   I think you need to to allow an hour because if the Gate is not manned you have to go to the Bear Gulch Visitor Center to sign in and buy a visitor pass.  The lady there said to go back out the way we came in, cross the bridge and turn left to go to the Chalone Trail Head Parking area.  That trail goes about 3.5 mi hike and ends at a trailhead called Balconies and there are caves there.  You reach that side from Salinas but she said that t rail would be your best bet at seeing wildflowers.  They said they have only had 5" of rain  this year so it is going to be lean.  I have no experience up there so I can not say one way or another.  Here are your coordinates:
          Flapjack's parking lot (V Small) 36o 47.424N  121o 19.313W
          Veranda's Parking Lot    36o 47.409N  121o 19.271W           "0" mi

          The Pinnicles "Private" campground = www.pinncamp.com
          Pinnicles Campground Store  36o 29.624N  121o 08.796W   23.8 mi.
          Pinnicles campground ticket booth  36029.607N   121o 08.791W
          The campground store has sparse supplies at a very high price.  Bring your own wood if you are camping.  The sign said "Wood Gathers would be Evicted"  They sell wood and presto logs

          Pinnicle's Front Gate (Closed) 36o 29.273N  121o 09.234W   24.4 mi
          1st Rest Stop viewing area 36o28.944N   121o 09.722W (Good Gathering area)
          Bear Gulch Visitor Centor 36o 28.881N  121o 10.864W     26 mi
          Chalone Trail head (parking for maybe 10 cars) 36o 29.696N  121o 10.384W

          These people appear very strict and were about to have a cow beacuse they saw a boy scout carrying a skateboard down the paved road.  No pets are allowed.  I have a snake bite kit.  Chalone has porta pottie toilets but NO WATER.

          By the time of our hike, they expect to have 2 different posters of the area wild flowers for sale at the visitor's center

          I hope some of this helped  SLOIGO

          wrote:

          > I could use the coordinates for the cafe, the campground and
          the Visitor's Center.
          >   Do you live nearny?
          >   Bud 50sumtin
          >

          > "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@...> wrote:
          >   his sounds GREAT, You can count on me and three or four of
          my
          > geocaching visitors.  If you need any help contact me and I
          would be
          > glad to help any way I can for your event.  dlnorris@...
          > SLOIGO aka David L. Norris
          >
          > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "bud" <fiftysumtin@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm getting ready to submit a cache description for a
          GeoEvent for
          > > March 25: Camp, Cafe, and Pinnacles March. This will be in
          the
          > vein of
          > > the Koffee and Kayaking that Touchstone put together in
          December.

          > > Cachers may log this event if they do any one of the following:
          > >
          > > Camp at the private campground just outside the east side of
          the
          > > Pinnacles East entrance, March 24 or 25.
          > > Join a gathering at the Flapjack's Country Cafe for breakfast
          > March 25
          > > just south of Tres Pinos,and/or
          > > Join a group of cachers for a Wildflower hike in the Pinnacles
          > March
          > > 25.
          > >
          > > I was thinking that breakfast would be between 8:30 am and
          9:30 am
          > and
          > > that we could then regroup at the east side visitor's center at
          10
          > > get the hike started.
          > >
          > > Comments are welcome!
          > >
          > > Bud

          >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay
          Outdoors

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          >  PhotoMail  - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

          Central coast californiaCentral coastMonterey bay
          Outdoors

        • SGT Dragon
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 12, 2006
            Regarding the lack of caches in Pinnacles, this sentence from the
            geocaching.com website probably sums it up:

            <I>You will be in violation of federal regulation by placing a cache
            in any area administered by the National Park Service (US). The
            National Park regulations are intended to protect the fragile
            environment, and historical and cultural areas found in the parks.</I>

            There ARE earthcaches there though, and I totally look forward to
            checking them out.

            Best,
            Kai
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 12, 2006
              I could put 20 caches outside of the Pinnicles with NO problem at all between Tres Pinos and the turn off and be perfectly legal in doing so.

              SGT Dragon <aznvet@...> wrote:
              Regarding the lack of caches in Pinnacles, this sentence from the
              geocaching.com website probably sums it up:

              <I>You will be in violation of federal regulation by placing a cache
              in any area administered by the National Park Service (US). The
              National Park regulations are intended to protect the fragile
              environment, and historical and cultural areas found in the parks.</I>

              There ARE earthcaches there though, and I totally look forward to
              checking them out.

              Best,
              Kai

            • leslierussellgreen
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
                We are looking forward to the fun of hunting some more of your
                caches. Please just save us a cache-hiding spot in "downtown"
                Tres Pinos . We don't have any caches ready-to-go, but we have
                two spots in mind. If you have 10 or so spots further down the
                road, this will be quite a trip !

                Think you are good with 40 minutes from Tres Pinos to
                Pinnacles - we have made it in 45min, without rushing, from
                Hollister (south edge of town) to pay-station at entrance to
                Pinnacles Nat'l Monument. Cachers will have to wait to pick up
                the enroute caches on the way back !! Cannot stress enough that
                we need to get there early if anyone is going to survive hiking in
                the heat we can expect by the end of March. But even after a hard
                day, a dozen or two caches on the way home will stir up some
                fresh energy.
                Figure the entrance gate / pay station will be open when we get
                there. Depending on how crowded is the park that morning, we
                would prefer to gather at the Bear Creek visitor's center, which is
                one of the earthcaches (just sign the guestbook) and a good
                place to fill water bottles, use restroom, etc. If we get sent to
                overflow-parking, we will have to hike up to Bear Creek anyways
                to get started on the trail to the other earthcaches.

                --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@...>

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
                  I am alway glad to comply for you, as well as mystify with my caches when I can.  I don't think one person should do all of the caches.  It would be good to get volunteers so that several people can "Show their stuff".  How about 4 (people/group-teams) volunteering to put 3 -4 caches out each.  Bud, if you would like for me to coordinate this for your event I would be honored.  Let me know

                  ps  There is a small monument on the west side of Tres Pinos that is naked - but I didn't see it - Really

                  It is too bad we can't have a Worker of Wood style cache perp session for those coming who are not up to walking in the mountains but we might get beat up by the Rangers for releasing spray paint propellent into the atmosphere or something.

                  wrote:

> [...]
                  at
                  > 10
                  > > > get the hike started.
                  > > >
                  > > > Comments are welcome!
                  > > >
                  > > > Bud

                  > >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay
                  > Outdoors

                  > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                  of
                  > Service.
                  > >

                  > > ---------------------------------
                  > >

                  > > ---------------------------------
                  > > Brings words and photos together (easily) with
                  > >  PhotoMail  - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

                  >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay
                  Outdoors

                  > ---------------------------------
                  >   Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews,
                  & more on new and used cars.

                  >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay

                • bud
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
                    Thank you so much for the coordinates!
                    I thgink that we are set on the east side and the Verona Cafe. I
                    will allow an hour from the cafe to the Park trail head.

                    Bud
> [...]
                    > > and
                    > > > that we could then regroup at the east side visitor's center
                    at
                    > 10
                    > > > get the hike started.
                    > > >
                    > > > Comments are welcome!
                    > > >
                    > > > Bud

                    > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
                    bay
                    > Outdoors

                    > Service.
                    > >

                    > > ---------------------------------
                    > >

                    > > ---------------------------------
                    > > Brings words and photos together (easily) with
                    > > PhotoMail - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

                    > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
                    bay Outdoors

                    > ---------------------------------
                    > Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, &
                    more on new and used cars.

                    > Central coast california Central coast Monterey

                    Service.

                    > ---------------------------------

                  • bud
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
                      Thank you all for your caching enthusiasm!

                      I think that the "geoevent" will have it's hands full with camping
                      at the private campground, meeting at the Veanda Cafe, meeting at
                      the Visitor's Center, and hiking in the Pinnacles on Saturday.

                      Based on the threads, I will allow for one hour between leaving the
                      Veranda Cafe (9:30) and starting the 10-mile hike at the Visitor's
                      Center (10:30) which should leave at least 8 hours of daylight for
                      the hike set for the end of March pre-Daylight Savings Time.

                      FYI: to qualify as a geoevent, I probably CANNOT reference the
                      finding of caches as part of the event if I want to get the event
                      qualified as a geoevent.

                      That said, anyone who wishes to place caches to "enhance" the before
                      and after event possibilities is free to do so! After all, there is
                      the Friday before and the Sunday after the event unaccounted for ...

                      Again, thank you for your enthusiasm and support!

                      50sumtin

> [...]
                      > > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
                      bay
                      > > Outdoors

                      > of
                      > > Service.
                      > > >

                      > > > ---------------------------------
                      > > >

                      > > > ---------------------------------
                      > > > Brings words and photos together (easily) with
                      > > > PhotoMail - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

                      > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
                      bay
                      > Outdoors
                      > >
                      > > ---------------------------------
                      > > Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews,
                      > & more on new and used cars.

                      > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
                      bay
                      > Outdoors

                      > Service.
                      > >

                      > > ---------------------------------

                      > Central coast california Central coast Monterey

                      Service.

                      > ---------------------------------

                    • Susie Cochran
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
                        Hey Ben
                        Good to hear from you!
                        Hope things are going well in the Windy City. Brrr!

                        -Susie

                        On Feb 12, 2006, at 7:05 AM, teambiggeeks wrote:

                        > Hi All,
                        > And greetings from stinkin' cold Chicago. I was just reading this
                        > thread and wanted to mention that one of the less active Biggeeks is
                        > a full fledged ranger at Pinnacles, and I may be able to solicit him
                        > for any help if needed.
                        > But even if you don't need any help, be sure to keep your eyes open
                        > for a shorter hispanic ranger named Robles, and give'em a "Team
                        > biggeeks rules" if you see him :) Man, we would so go to this if we
                        > still lived there. Oh well, hope everyone has fun!
                        >
                        > Biggeek Ben
                        > benjamin.haberthur@...
                      • bud
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 14, 2006
                          A quick note:

                          FYI, the "Camp, Veranda Cafe and Pinnacles March" (GCRPH4) geoevent
                          has been approved!

                          Hope to see many of you there!

                          I recommend carpooling!

                          50sumtin

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 16, 2006
                              Hi, Dave!

                              The event was VERY specifically written to be VERY wide open for who could log this as an attended event.

                              You do not need to do the 10-mile hike to log the event. In fact, just meeting at the Visitor Center qualifies!

                              I do look forward to meeting you!