Re: Camp, Cafe and Pinnacles March

    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 11, 2006
      his sounds GREAT, You can count on me and three or four of my
      geocaching visitors. If you need any help contact me and I would be
      glad to help any way I can for your event. dlnorris@...
      SLOIGO aka David L. Norris

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "bud" <fiftysumtin@...> wrote:

      > I'm getting ready to submit a cache description for a GeoEvent for
      > March 25: Camp, Cafe, and Pinnacles March. This will be in the
      vein of
      > the Koffee and Kayaking that Touchstone put together in December.
      >
      > Cachers may log this event if they do any one of the following:
      >
      > Camp at the private campground just outside the east side of the
      > Pinnacles East entrance, March 24 or 25.
      > Join a gathering at the Flapjack's Country Cafe for breakfast
      March 25
      > just south of Tres Pinos,and/or
      > Join a group of cachers for a Wildflower hike in the Pinnacles
      March
      > 25.
      >
      > I was thinking that breakfast would be between 8:30 am and 9:30 am
      and
      > that we could then regroup at the east side visitor's center at 10
      > get the hike started.
      >
      > Comments are welcome!
      >
      > Bud

    • Bud Gawlik
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 11, 2006
        I could use the coordinates for the cafe, the campground and the Visitor's Center.
        Do you live nearny?
        Bud 50sumtin

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 11, 2006
          I live on the west side of Hollister but can go find them even though I have never been there.  Let me try and I will report back to  you tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

          Bud Gawlik <fiftysumtin@...> wrote:
          I could use the coordinates for the cafe, the campground and the Visitor's Center.
          Do you live nearny?
          Bud 50sumtin

          "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@...> wrote:
          his sounds GREAT, You can count on me and three or four of my
          geocaching visitors.  If you need any help contact me and I would be
          glad to help any way I can for your event.  dlnorris@...
          SLOIGO aka David L. Norris

          --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "bud" <fiftysumtin@...> wrote:

          > I'm getting ready to submit a cache description for a GeoEvent for
          > March 25: Camp, Cafe, and Pinnacles March. This will be in the
          vein of
          > the Koffee and Kayaking that Touchstone put together in December.
          >
          > Cachers may log this event if they do any one of the following:
          >
          > Camp at the private campground just outside the east side of the
          > Pinnacles East entrance, March 24 or 25.
          > Join a gathering at the Flapjack's Country Cafe for breakfast
          March 25
          > just south of Tres Pinos,and/or
          > Join a group of cachers for a Wildflower hike in the Pinnacles
          March
          > 25.
          >
          > I was thinking that breakfast would be between 8:30 am and 9:30 am
          and
          > that we could then regroup at the east side visitor's center at 10
          > get the hike started.
          >
          > Comments are welcome!
          >
          > Bud

        • Bud Gawlik
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 11, 2006
            Sunday would be fine. Thanks! Bud 50sumtin

            "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@...> wrote:
            I live on the west side of Hollister but can go find them even though I have never been there.  Let me try and I will report back to  you tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

            Bud Gawlik <fiftysumtin@...> wrote:
            I could use the coordinates for the cafe, the campground and the Visitor's Center.
            Do you live nearny?
            Bud 50sumtin

            "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@...> wrote:
            his sounds GREAT, You can count on me and three or four of my
            geocaching visitors.  If you need any help contact me and I would be
            glad to help any way I can for your event.  dlnorris@...
            SLOIGO aka David L. Norris

            --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "bud" <fiftysumtin@...> wrote:

            > I'm getting ready to submit a cache description for a GeoEvent for
            > March 25: Camp, Cafe, and Pinnacles March. This will be in the
            vein of
            > the Koffee and Kayaking that Touchstone put together in December.
            >
            > Cachers may log this event if they do any one of the following:
            >
            > Camp at the private campground just outside the east side of the
            > Pinnacles East entrance, March 24 or 25.
            > Join a gathering at the Flapjack's Country Cafe for breakfast
            March 25
            > just south of Tres Pinos,and/or
            > Join a group of cachers for a Wildflower hike in the Pinnacles
            March
            > 25.
            >
            > I was thinking that breakfast would be between 8:30 am and 9:30 am
            and
            > that we could then regroup at the east side visitor's center at 10
            > get the hike started.
            >
            > Comments are welcome!
            >
            > Bud

          • leslierussellgreen
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 11, 2006
              Bud - emailed you corrected coords for tres pinos - Veranda
              Cafe - and pinnacles visitor's center. Don't know coords to east
              campground; maybe they answer their phone and will save
              someone a trip out there in person.
              I see you have suggested Flapjacks in Tres Pinos. We truly love
              their food. Pretty good prices. But not as much seating as
              Veranda cafe, and no outdoor overflow area if this crowd gets
              big. Actually, I would discourage Flapjacks just because they
              have such substantial breakfasts, and you might not want
              people so bogged down by a big meal before the hiking.
              - Leslie (Hotshoe, with Russell and Michael)

              --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, Bud Gawlik <fiftysumtin@...>
              wrote:

              > I could use the coordinates for the cafe, the campground and
              the Visitor's Center.
              > Do you live nearny?
              > Bud 50sumtin
              >

              > "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@...> wrote:
              > his sounds GREAT, You can count on me and three or four of
              my
              > geocaching visitors. If you need any help contact me and I
              would be
              > glad to help any way I can for your event. dlnorris@...
              > SLOIGO aka David L. Norris
              >
              > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "bud" <fiftysumtin@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm getting ready to submit a cache description for a
              GeoEvent for
              > > March 25: Camp, Cafe, and Pinnacles March. This will be in
              the
              > vein of
              > > the Koffee and Kayaking that Touchstone put together in
              December.

              > > Cachers may log this event if they do any one of the following:
              > >
              > > Camp at the private campground just outside the east side of
              the
              > > Pinnacles East entrance, March 24 or 25.
              > > Join a gathering at the Flapjack's Country Cafe for breakfast
              > March 25
              > > just south of Tres Pinos,and/or
              > > Join a group of cachers for a Wildflower hike in the Pinnacles
              > March
              > > 25.
              > >
              > > I was thinking that breakfast would be between 8:30 am and
              9:30 am
              > and
              > > that we could then regroup at the east side visitor's center at
              10
              > > get the hike started.
              > >
              > > Comments are welcome!
              > >
              > > Bud

              > Central coast california Central coast Monterey bay
              Outdoors

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > ---------------------------------

            • Bud Gawlik
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 12, 2006
                Veranda it is!
                Bud

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 12, 2006
                  Hi All,
                  And greetings from stinkin' cold Chicago. I was just reading this
                  thread and wanted to mention that one of the less active Biggeeks is
                  a full fledged ranger at Pinnacles, and I may be able to solicit him
                  for any help if needed.
                  But even if you don't need any help, be sure to keep your eyes open
                  for a shorter hispanic ranger named Robles, and give'em a "Team
                  biggeeks rules" if you see him :) Man, we would so go to this if we
                  still lived there. Oh well, hope everyone has fun!

                  Biggeek Ben
                  benjamin.haberthur@...

> [...]
                  > > March
                  > > > 25.
                  > > >
                  > > > I was thinking that breakfast would be between 8:30 am and
                  > 9:30 am
                  > > and
                  > > > that we could then regroup at the east side visitor's center
                  at
                  > 10
                  > > > get the hike started.
                  > > >
                  > > > Comments are welcome!
                  > > >
                  > > > Bud

                  > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
                  bay
                  > Outdoors

                  > Service.
                  > >

                  > > ---------------------------------
                  > >

                  > > ---------------------------------
                  > > Brings words and photos together (easily) with
                  > > PhotoMail - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

                  > Central coast california Central coast Monterey

                  Service.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 12, 2006
                    Momma and I went out there today and got lots of coordinates for the field trip.  I was wondering why no caches in the park area.  I have 20 caches READY to set out.  I spotted numerous places on the way in to hide caches on that side of town.  My wife is EXTREMELY anti-caching so when she is along I don't get to play.  I did pick up Momoma's "Stop Stareing at me" but grummble grumble.  Without stopping it took 40 min to get there from Tres Pinos to the campground store.  There are currently 4 caches on the way, ( I have already found them) so I do not think 30 min is time enough between breakfast and the hike.  I could EASILY put out 10 caches before getting into the park but it would slow everyone down, they might never get to the hike.   I think you need to to allow an hour because if the Gate is not manned you have to go to the Bear Gulch Visitor Center to sign in and buy a visitor pass.  The lady there said to go back out the way we came in, cross the bridge and turn left to go to the Chalone Trail Head Parking area.  That trail goes about 3.5 mi hike and ends at a trailhead called Balconies and there are caves there.  You reach that side from Salinas but she said that t rail would be your best bet at seeing wildflowers.  They said they have only had 5" of rain  this year so it is going to be lean.  I have no experience up there so I can not say one way or another.  Here are your coordinates:
                    Flapjack's parking lot (V Small) 36o 47.424N  121o 19.313W
                    Veranda's Parking Lot    36o 47.409N  121o 19.271W           "0" mi

                    The Pinnicles "Private" campground = www.pinncamp.com
                    Pinnicles Campground Store  36o 29.624N  121o 08.796W   23.8 mi.
                    Pinnicles campground ticket booth  36029.607N   121o 08.791W
                    The campground store has sparse supplies at a very high price.  Bring your own wood if you are camping.  The sign said "Wood Gathers would be Evicted"  They sell wood and presto logs

                    Pinnicle's Front Gate (Closed) 36o 29.273N  121o 09.234W   24.4 mi
                    1st Rest Stop viewing area 36o28.944N   121o 09.722W (Good Gathering area)
                    Bear Gulch Visitor Centor 36o 28.881N  121o 10.864W     26 mi
                    Chalone Trail head (parking for maybe 10 cars) 36o 29.696N  121o 10.384W

                    These people appear very strict and were about to have a cow beacuse they saw a boy scout carrying a skateboard down the paved road.  No pets are allowed.  I have a snake bite kit.  Chalone has porta pottie toilets but NO WATER.

                    By the time of our hike, they expect to have 2 different posters of the area wild flowers for sale at the visitor's center

                    I hope some of this helped  SLOIGO

                    wrote:

                    > I could use the coordinates for the cafe, the campground and
                    the Visitor's Center.
                    >   Do you live nearny?
                    >   Bud 50sumtin
                    >

                    > "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@...> wrote:
                    >   his sounds GREAT, You can count on me and three or four of
                    my
                    > geocaching visitors.  If you need any help contact me and I
                    would be
                    > glad to help any way I can for your event.  dlnorris@...
                    > SLOIGO aka David L. Norris
                    >
                    > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "bud" <fiftysumtin@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'm getting ready to submit a cache description for a
                    GeoEvent for
                    > > March 25: Camp, Cafe, and Pinnacles March. This will be in
                    the
                    > vein of
                    > > the Koffee and Kayaking that Touchstone put together in
                    December.

                    > > Cachers may log this event if they do any one of the following:
                    > >
                    > > Camp at the private campground just outside the east side of
                    the
                    > > Pinnacles East entrance, March 24 or 25.
                    > > Join a gathering at the Flapjack's Country Cafe for breakfast
                    > March 25
                    > > just south of Tres Pinos,and/or
                    > > Join a group of cachers for a Wildflower hike in the Pinnacles
                    > March
                    > > 25.
                    > >
                    > > I was thinking that breakfast would be between 8:30 am and
                    9:30 am
                    > and
                    > > that we could then regroup at the east side visitor's center at
                    10
                    > > get the hike started.
                    > >
                    > > Comments are welcome!
                    > >
                    > > Bud

                    >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay
                    Outdoors

                    Service.

                    > ---------------------------------
                    >

                    > ---------------------------------
                    >  PhotoMail  - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

                    Central coast californiaCentral coastMonterey bay
                    Outdoors

                  • SGT Dragon
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 12, 2006
                      Regarding the lack of caches in Pinnacles, this sentence from the
                      geocaching.com website probably sums it up:

                      <I>You will be in violation of federal regulation by placing a cache
                      in any area administered by the National Park Service (US). The
                      National Park regulations are intended to protect the fragile
                      environment, and historical and cultural areas found in the parks.</I>

                      There ARE earthcaches there though, and I totally look forward to
                      checking them out.

                      Best,
                      Kai

                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
                          We are looking forward to the fun of hunting some more of your
                          caches. Please just save us a cache-hiding spot in "downtown"
                          Tres Pinos . We don't have any caches ready-to-go, but we have
                          two spots in mind. If you have 10 or so spots further down the
                          road, this will be quite a trip !

                          Think you are good with 40 minutes from Tres Pinos to
                          Pinnacles - we have made it in 45min, without rushing, from
                          Hollister (south edge of town) to pay-station at entrance to
                          Pinnacles Nat'l Monument. Cachers will have to wait to pick up
                          the enroute caches on the way back !! Cannot stress enough that
                          we need to get there early if anyone is going to survive hiking in
                          the heat we can expect by the end of March. But even after a hard
                          day, a dozen or two caches on the way home will stir up some
                          fresh energy.
                          Figure the entrance gate / pay station will be open when we get
                          there. Depending on how crowded is the park that morning, we
                          would prefer to gather at the Bear Creek visitor's center, which is
                          one of the earthcaches (just sign the guestbook) and a good
                          place to fill water bottles, use restroom, etc. If we get sent to
                          overflow-parking, we will have to hike up to Bear Creek anyways
                          to get started on the trail to the other earthcaches.

                          --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@...>

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
                            I am alway glad to comply for you, as well as mystify with my caches when I can.  I don't think one person should do all of the caches.  It would be good to get volunteers so that several people can "Show their stuff".  How about 4 (people/group-teams) volunteering to put 3 -4 caches out each.  Bud, if you would like for me to coordinate this for your event I would be honored.  Let me know

                            ps  There is a small monument on the west side of Tres Pinos that is naked - but I didn't see it - Really

                            It is too bad we can't have a Worker of Wood style cache perp session for those coming who are not up to walking in the mountains but we might get beat up by the Rangers for releasing spray paint propellent into the atmosphere or something.

                            wrote:

> [...]
                            at
                            > 10
                            > > > get the hike started.
                            > > >
                            > > > Comments are welcome!
                            > > >
                            > > > Bud

                            > >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay
                            > Outdoors

                            > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                            of
                            > Service.
                            > >

                            > > ---------------------------------
                            > >

                            > > ---------------------------------
                            > > Brings words and photos together (easily) with
                            > >  PhotoMail  - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

                            >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay
                            Outdoors

                            > ---------------------------------
                            >   Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews,
                            & more on new and used cars.

                            >         Central coast california   Central coast   Monterey bay

                          • bud
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
                              Thank you so much for the coordinates!
                              I thgink that we are set on the east side and the Verona Cafe. I
                              will allow an hour from the cafe to the Park trail head.

                              Bud
> [...]
                              > > and
                              > > > that we could then regroup at the east side visitor's center
                              at
                              > 10
                              > > > get the hike started.
                              > > >
                              > > > Comments are welcome!
                              > > >
                              > > > Bud

                              > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
                              bay
                              > Outdoors

                              > Service.
                              > >

                              > > ---------------------------------
                              > >

                              > > ---------------------------------
                              > > Brings words and photos together (easily) with
                              > > PhotoMail - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

                              > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
                              bay Outdoors

                              > ---------------------------------
                              > Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, &
                              more on new and used cars.

                              > Central coast california Central coast Monterey

                              Service.

                              > ---------------------------------

                            • bud
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
                                Thank you all for your caching enthusiasm!

                                I think that the "geoevent" will have it's hands full with camping
                                at the private campground, meeting at the Veanda Cafe, meeting at
                                the Visitor's Center, and hiking in the Pinnacles on Saturday.

                                Based on the threads, I will allow for one hour between leaving the
                                Veranda Cafe (9:30) and starting the 10-mile hike at the Visitor's
                                Center (10:30) which should leave at least 8 hours of daylight for
                                the hike set for the end of March pre-Daylight Savings Time.

                                FYI: to qualify as a geoevent, I probably CANNOT reference the
                                finding of caches as part of the event if I want to get the event
                                qualified as a geoevent.

                                That said, anyone who wishes to place caches to "enhance" the before
                                and after event possibilities is free to do so! After all, there is
                                the Friday before and the Sunday after the event unaccounted for ...

                                Again, thank you for your enthusiasm and support!

                                50sumtin

> [...]
                                > > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
                                bay
                                > > Outdoors

                                > of
                                > > Service.
                                > > >

                                > > > ---------------------------------
                                > > >

                                > > > ---------------------------------
                                > > > Brings words and photos together (easily) with
                                > > > PhotoMail - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

                                > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
                                bay
                                > Outdoors
                                > >
                                > > ---------------------------------
                                > > Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews,
                                > & more on new and used cars.

                                > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
                                bay
                                > Outdoors

                                > Service.
                                > >

                                > > ---------------------------------

                                > Central coast california Central coast Monterey

                                Service.

                                > ---------------------------------

                              • Susie Cochran
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 13, 2006
                                  Hey Ben
                                  Good to hear from you!
                                  Hope things are going well in the Windy City. Brrr!

                                  -Susie

                                  On Feb 12, 2006, at 7:05 AM, teambiggeeks wrote:

                                  > Hi All,
                                  > And greetings from stinkin' cold Chicago. I was just reading this
                                  > thread and wanted to mention that one of the less active Biggeeks is
                                  > a full fledged ranger at Pinnacles, and I may be able to solicit him
                                  > for any help if needed.
                                  > But even if you don't need any help, be sure to keep your eyes open
                                  > for a shorter hispanic ranger named Robles, and give'em a "Team
                                  > biggeeks rules" if you see him :) Man, we would so go to this if we
                                  > still lived there. Oh well, hope everyone has fun!
                                  >
                                  > Biggeek Ben
                                  > benjamin.haberthur@...
                                • bud
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 14, 2006
                                    A quick note:

                                    FYI, the "Camp, Veranda Cafe and Pinnacles March" (GCRPH4) geoevent
                                    has been approved!

                                    Hope to see many of you there!

                                    I recommend carpooling!

                                    50sumtin

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 16, 2006
                                        Hi, Dave!

                                        The event was VERY specifically written to be VERY wide open for who could log this as an attended event.

                                        You do not need to do the 10-mile hike to log the event. In fact, just meeting at the Visitor Center qualifies!

                                        I do look forward to meeting you!