Re: [CCGC] Re: Newbie needs help with Geocaches

  • CURT CRAGG
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 9, 2005
      Re: [CCGC] Re: Newbie needs help with Geocaches
      I'm afraid I'm a muggle Michael.

      I have a good friend on the fire department that is stationed at Gaviota.  He uses geocaching as a training exercise for his crew.  Aside from reading articles about it and hearing about his experience, I have not been out caching myself.

      I just registered on the site so that I could find out more about the hobby (sport?) before I tried to "cache" in on it.  Your group has been extremely helpful, as has the web site.  Whoever built the geocache website had done an outstaning job of providing understandable info on what this is all about.

      As an archivist and history buff, I just really like the idea of hidden time capsules that can be found using modern technology.  So when I heard about geocaching I knew that it was just the thing, especially since this history relates to a major california highway that is well traveled.

      My plan was to go out with my more experienced gps buddy and find some cache in the next couple of weeks and then he was going to help me plant the ones down by Gaviota.  Sounds like I need to get some finds on my resume so I guess we better get at it.

      Thanks again all!

      Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 20:00:52 -0800
      To: <ccgca@yahoogroups.com>

      I'm getting a quick education on caching and I appreciate the help.  I have read the information on the website now and it was very helpful.

      As it stands now I am planning on putting two historical photographs in each cache with brief explanations of what they depict and the orientation of the pictures.  I have identified 14 locations of interest along Highway 101 from Gaviota to just past Buellton.  Many of these would not be taken locations as they depict places that no longer exist so caches are not likely to have been placed there.  These places will be accessible without having to stop on the freeway even though they are along the original coast highway route.

      I have also made a card with instructions on what to do when you find the cache and am including a logbook and some take away items for the finders.

      I was also considering a prize for people that locate say 10 of the 14 caches and properly log in the keywords found at each cache.

      Any other ideas or input???  I would like to get these up and running by the end of December so the cachers in my area will have something to do to celebrate a new year.

      Thanks for all of the ideas and help so far.

      The Poor Man