Re: [CCGC] Re: Newbie needs help with Geocaches

  • Sgt Stitches
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 8, 2005
      Hi Curt-

      There is a quick guide to hiding a cache at geocaching.com:
      http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx

      Of course, the best way to figure out how to hide a cache, is to find a
      few first. I'd bet most people find 20-25 caches before they hide one
      of their own. This allows you to see various examples of hides,
      containers, themes, etc. and the experience will generally let you see
      what works and what doesn't.

      You will definitely want to put a log book in the cache, along with a
      note explaining what geocaching is all about. There are sample notes
      you can print and use (available from the link above)

      > How do you guys record verification of a find?  Is it best to put a
      > log book in the cache and then what is the best website(s) for posting
      > the coordinates and verification of the find?

      By far (and I mean 99.999........% of all geocachers), the most
      popular, well known, site is www.geocaching.com. Most of the other
      sites you find for geocaching will be discussion forums and local cache
      groups.... NOT sites for posting coordinates or verification of finds.
      There have been a few other sites (terracaching.com, navicache.com)
      that offer a limited alternative. If you want people to come looking
      for your caches... use geocaching.com.

      -Lance
      (aka SGT Stitches)

    • Gabrielle
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 8, 2005
        Hello Curt:

        Have you read the information at www.geocaching.com yet?  It tells you everything you need to know about hiding and finding a geocache.  Yes, there should always be a log book and a stash note in each geocache.

        Have fun!
        - Chickasaw

        <thepoormansmuseum@v...> wrote:

        > I am planning on stashing some caches along Highway 101 in northern
        > Santa Barbara County.  Caches will feature pictures of historical
        > places where they once were, but may no longer exist. My plan is to
        > put laminated photos of what was there in the cache.  Also maybe
        > postcards to send back to verify that the cache was found.  Would like
        > to hear ideas from experienced cachers.
        >
        > Thanks for your help!
        > The Poor Man

      • CURT CRAGG
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 8, 2005
          I'm getting a quick education on caching and I appreciate the help.  I have read the information on the website now and it was very helpful.

          As it stands now I am planning on putting two historical photographs in each cache with brief explanations of what they depict and the orientation of the pictures.  I have identified 14 locations of interest along Highway 101 from Gaviota to just past Buellton.  Many of these would not be taken locations as they depict places that no longer exist so caches are not likely to have been placed there.  These places will be accessible without having to stop on the freeway even though they are along the original coast highway route.

          I have also made a card with instructions on what to do when you find the cache and am including a logbook and some take away items for the finders.

          I was also considering a prize for people that locate say 10 of the 14 caches and properly log in the keywords found at each cache.

          Any other ideas or input???  I would like to get these up and running by the end of December so the cachers in my area will have something to do to celebrate a new year.

          Thanks for all of the ideas and help so far.

          The Poor Man

          <thepoormansmuseum@v...> wrote:

          > I am planning on stashing some caches along Highway 101 in northern
          > Santa Barbara County.  Caches will feature pictures of historical
          > places where they once were, but may no longer exist. My plan is to
          > put laminated photos of what was there in the cache.  Also maybe
          > postcards to send back to verify that the cache was found.  Would like
          > to hear ideas from experienced cachers.
          >
          > Thanks for your help!
          > The Poor Man

        • Michael Swartz
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 9, 2005
            Re: [CCGC] Re: Newbie needs help with Geocaches RIght, you can't have people stop ON the freeway.  No problems with being too close to other existing caches: there aren't any along 101 BETWEEN Gaviota and PeaSoup.  Sounds like a fun idea to have an extra little prize for people who find a certain number of them, like you say, recording a code number from inside the cache or something like that.
            Only one thing to worry about - have you found and logged any caches on geocaching.com ?  I don't think it's spelled out in the "rules" but I have an impression that the approvers may not approve your caches if you have not yet FOUND any.  It sounds like you know other cachers in your area; have you been out looking for caches so you have a good idea where to hide, how to verify coordinates, what is easy and what is difficult, etc?

            <thepoormansmuseum@v...> wrote:

            > I am planning on stashing some caches along Highway 101 in northern
            > Santa Barbara County.  Caches will feature pictures of historical
            > places where they once were, but may no longer exist. My plan is to
            > put laminated photos of what was there in the cache.  Also maybe
            > postcards to send back to verify that the cache was found.  Would like
            > to hear ideas from experienced cachers.
            >
            > Thanks for your help!
            > The Poor Man

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • CURT CRAGG
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 9, 2005
              Re: [CCGC] Re: Newbie needs help with Geocaches
              I'm afraid I'm a muggle Michael.

              I have a good friend on the fire department that is stationed at Gaviota.  He uses geocaching as a training exercise for his crew.  Aside from reading articles about it and hearing about his experience, I have not been out caching myself.

              I just registered on the site so that I could find out more about the hobby (sport?) before I tried to "cache" in on it.  Your group has been extremely helpful, as has the web site.  Whoever built the geocache website had done an outstaning job of providing understandable info on what this is all about.

              As an archivist and history buff, I just really like the idea of hidden time capsules that can be found using modern technology.  So when I heard about geocaching I knew that it was just the thing, especially since this history relates to a major california highway that is well traveled.

              My plan was to go out with my more experienced gps buddy and find some cache in the next couple of weeks and then he was going to help me plant the ones down by Gaviota.  Sounds like I need to get some finds on my resume so I guess we better get at it.

              Thanks again all!

              <thepoormansmuseum@v...> wrote:

              > I am planning on stashing some caches along Highway 101 in northern
              > Santa Barbara County.  Caches will feature pictures of historical
              > places where they once were, but may no longer exist. My plan is to
              > put laminated photos of what was there in the cache.  Also maybe
              > postcards to send back to verify that the cache was found.  Would like
              > to hear ideas from experienced cachers.
              >
              > Thanks for your help!
              > The Poor Man

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Gabrielle

                <thepoormansmuseum@v...> wrote:

                > I am planning on stashing some caches along Highway 101 in northern
                > Santa Barbara County.  Caches will feature pictures of historical
                > places where they once were, but may no longer exist. My plan is to
                > put laminated photos of what was there in the cache.  Also maybe
                > postcards to send back to verify that the cache was found.  Would like
                > to hear ideas from experienced cachers.
                >
                > Thanks for your help!
                > The Poor Man

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • CURT CRAGG
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 9, 2005
                  It sounds like my Muggleness has revealed itself.

                  Yes, I'm afraid that I have not "cached in" which is why I have had to ask so many questions.  I have a fire captain friend that uses geocaching as a training exercise and he has been my local advisor on how to best prepare my time capsules.

                  I would say that mine will not be in the "hard to locate" category as I want cachers to find them for the sake of seeing the pictures and learning a little history of the area.  So probably no 15 mile straight up hikes with a rappel at the end.  (Although when you're working with firemen you never know?)

                  As for containers, mine are of the tupperware variety and all consistent in size so that if someone is trying to find the series of caches they will become familiar with what they are trying to find.  Of course that will dictate finding a suitable stash at each location.

                  Our plan was to go out in the next couple weeks so that I could get some caching experience and to scout locations for our stashes, and possilby plant some if we find good spots.  I just registered on the geocache site yesterday so I think that I can start posting now.

                  Appreciate your help and advice.

                  The Poor Man