Newbie needs help with Geocaches

  • thepoormansmuseusm
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
      I am planning on stashing some caches along Highway 101 in northern
      Santa Barbara County. Caches will feature pictures of historical
      places where they once were, but may no longer exist. My plan is to
      put laminated photos of what was there in the cache. Also maybe
      postcards to send back to verify that the cache was found. Would like
      to hear ideas from experienced cachers.

      Thanks for your help!
      The Poor Man
    • Kealia
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
        Welcome. Love the idea of the laminated pics of "what used to be",
        but am curious as to why the postcards to verify the find?

        - Kealia

        --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "thepoormansmuseusm"

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2005
          Hi PMM,

          Sounds like a very interesting series of caches. I think I'd bag the
          postcard verification idea. Instead, I think I'd just print up some
          small business cards with a picture of the place on the back, and your
          username on the front and call it a sig item. I think you'll find that
          trying to get people to mail back the postcards will be frustrating.
          Geocachers are generally pretty lazy about doing such things.

          Another suggestion: make sure you check the cache listings before you
          place a cache. You may find that there is a cache already in the spot
          that you have in mind (not always of course). Caches need to be at
          least 0.1 miles apart (a little over 500 feet). It'll just save you
          some time and effort to do a little homework ahead of time.

          You might want to check out the Poison Oak Cachers website also.
          They're based out of SLO (the other Central Coast). A very active and
          friendly group that extends down you direction:

          http://webpages.charter.net/awhitster/poisonoakcachers

          They also accassionaly pop up in the Geocaching Forums under the
          following thread:

          http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=84095

          Good luck with the series :)

          - Touchstone