Re: [CCGC] Night Cacheing Tuesday and a Long Story

  • Susie Cochran
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2005
      Sounds like fun so count me in!

      On Nov 13, 2005, at 9:48 AM, touchstone12002 wrote:

      > ****Cross Posting****(sorry)
      >
      > What: A group hike to Down the Rabbit Hole and Illuminati (two night
      > caches)
      > When:5:15-5:30 Tuesday the 15th
      > Where: Meet at the parking coordinates at Down the Rabbit Hole
      > (Veterans Park
      > Monterey)
      > Why: It's more fun as a group, and come meet the venerable campyc
      > from S. Cal.
      >
      > Now the long winded story....
      >
      > It was a dark and stormy night....just kidding. A couple of months
      > ago I was
      > contacted by S. CA cacher (username: campyc,
      > profile:http://tinyurl.com/9gqu8 )for some cache
      > recommendations. I obliged and got a nice thank you in return. I
      > thought
      > that was kind of the end of it until I got a notification of a cache
      > on my
      > Watchlist.
      >
      > A few weeks after the initial email, campyc found a cache on my
      > Watchlist. In
      > the log she said that she was still in the area because her husband
      > was in
      > some sort of accident. I was concerned, and sure enough, a few days
      > later I
      > got an email from campyc saying that she was in the area and likely
      > to be here
      > for quite some time. her husband had landed in the hospital and was
      > expected
      > to be there for a long recuperation. He's doing better apparently,
      > but still
      > not well enough to travel back home.
      >
      > Well, campyc was asking if doing the two night caches on Huckleberry
      > Hill
      > would be safe as a solo expedition. Ian and I offered to tag along
      > just to
      > make sure everything is OK, and I thought it would be fun to do this
      > as a
      > group. We're headed out next weekend, so the weekdays are better for
      > us. We
      > were thinking of dinner beforehand (kind of earlyish) and doing the
      > night
      > caches afterwards.
      >
      > So if anyone's interested, just post your intentions, or come join us
      > at the
      > parking coordinates.
      >
      > - Touchstone
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      ---------------
      The shore is an ancient world, for as long as there has been
      an earth and sea, there has been this place of the meeting of
      land and water.

      -Rachel Carson
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
        Even though I have done both those caches (in fact... I think FFFF,
        Kealia, and I were FTF on those)... I would love to do those again.
        Unfortunately, Tue-Thu nights are taken up with "kid stuff", so I
        can't make it.

        The rest of you are in for a treat though! Don't forget to bring a
        STRONG flashlight and beware the "white rabbit"... I hear he
        has "big nasty teeth" (Or is that his cousin... the "Killer Rabbit"?)

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
          Unfortunately, the little bunny on the Rabbit Hole cache was
          destroyed by wild pigs in the area. The replacement is a
          standard .30 cal ammo can with some of my dazzling camo artwork :) I
          do have a bit of a memorial put together at the cache site with the
          remains that I found of the bunny...snif...it's actually kind of
          touching.

          Details:

          Meeting for dinner around 4:00 pm at the California Pizza Kitchen in
          the Del Monte Shopping Center (Munras Ave exit off of Hwy 1)

          Will meet at the trailhead around 5:15-5:30. Since there has been a
          couple of reports of the ranger at Vet Park bothering people at the
          parking area (it's posted as open until 10 pm) I'd suggest parking on
          the street at the nearby residential area. As far as I know, it's
          still legal to park on city streets ;)

          Should take an hour or so to make the 1.5 mile loop. Bring
          flashlight and some sturdy shoes.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
            Man, I wish I could make this, but I definitely can't. I'm stuck in
            class from 5-8PM. I'd usually skipped, but I already wasted that
            option last class!

            "I do have a bit of a memorial put together at the cache site with
            the remains that I found of the bunny...snif...it's actually kind of
            touching."

            Touchstone.....you need help ;-)

            BGB
            --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "touchstone12002" <msmelser@m...>