New Joins - Stand up and be heard!

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 30, 2005
      Hi All -
      I just directed some Salinas based newer cachers to our group site,
      Koolrat & Kitten, and thought it might be nice to hear from all our
      new members. I personally approved a couple of memberships of well-
      known geocachers, but you aren't well-known to everyone =) Let's
      hear about you.

      For anyone who may not know me, I'm Biggeek Ben...the most outspoken
      member of team BIGGEEKS. I mostly cache with my wife and dogs, but
      can also be found with any of the geeks listed on our GC.com site.
      I'm working on my last semester of my BS at CSUMB and then it looks
      like it's off to Chicago in January...sweet. Anyhow, I don't have
      too much time to cache right now, but I'm really trying to find some
      time to bag some finds in SC.

      I'm currently covered in Poison Oak from a failed attempt at
      Touchstone's Genesis, but that's just part of the FUN isn't it! =)

      That's all I got for now,

      BG Ben
    • Mark Yvanovich
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 30, 2005
        teambiggeeks wrote:

        > Hi All -
        > I just directed some Salinas based newer cachers to our group site,
        > Koolrat & Kitten, and thought it might be nice to hear from all our
        > new members. I personally approved a couple of memberships of well-
        > known geocachers, but you aren't well-known to everyone =) Let's
        > hear about you.

        I'm new to the list, but not to geocaching. Joani and I have been
        caching since July 2002. We've done a lot of caching in the CCGC area,
        and always have a good time when we do. I remember being a little
        freaked out the first time we went caching in Fort Ord. We felt kind of
        like we were trespassing while walking down the deserted streets with
        all the old buildings. Now we feel right at home. It's interesting to
        see the Fort Ord area change over the last few years.

        > I'm currently covered in Poison Oak from a failed attempt at
        > Touchstone's Genesis, but that's just part of the FUN isn't it! =)

        That's not the kind of fun I like. (note to self: add Genesis to ignore
        list) ;)

        --Marky
      • bud
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31, 2005
          Hi, All!

          I started geocaching this April, with many thanks to my friends the
          Purple Lizards who got me and my family going, and I'm "hooked" (but
          who doesn't have some obsessive compulsive hobbies?) My wife and
          daughter also cache, but they don't have the fever that I do!

          I live in Santa Cruz and work in Fremont, and I cache in and around
          and in between the two areas. I just recently passed 400 finds, and I
          have set out a couple of dozen caches in turn (some of them Big
          Caches; right, Sgt. Stitches?). I dabble in benchmarks and now
          waymarks as well. As an amateur photographer, waymarks have some
          appeal as they all include photographs of some sort. I've posted a
          dozen waymarks or so to date.

          While I haven't cached much in the Monterey area, it looks like this
          Saturday I'll be caching in and around Pacific Grove with some other
          Santa Cruz cachers. If anyone is interested in joining us, I can give
          you some more information as I learn more about the details of the
          day.

          Enjoy and happy caching!

          Bud 50sumtin
        • Webpro
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 31, 2005
            I gew up in Marina and cache in the Monterey area as much as I can. I
            visit every couple weeks and have several hides on the way fromSan
            Jose to Monterey as well as in Marina. I have been GeoCaching
            officially for little over a year. I started some time before that
            looking for caches based on the maps, description and logs and no
            GPSr.

            Lately, I have taken some time of from GeoCaching. I have a couple
            recent hides (one in Marina) and cache when I travel (Denver is coming
            up).

            - CacheCrashers
            Joe

            --
            "Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular!"
          • ARCSKY@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 31, 2005
              Hello!
              I live in Aptos and own a restaurant downtown Santa Cruz. I have been caching for 2 years and really enjoy finding historical sites or just cool spots I never would have found on my own. I've lived in Santa Cruz County for 30 years and thought I knew all the backroads and hidden local spots until Geocaching taught me otherwise. Years ago I managed the Dominos Pizza in Marina delivering to Fort Ord so I am somewhat familiar with that area although it has changed quite a bit. If we can work it in, we like to combine wine tasting and Geocaching.  Santa Cruz, Monterey, Paso Robles, Murphys, and even Gilroy works just fine. We (Me, my Wife, teen age daughter and 5 y/o son) like General Aviation flying and hope to incorporate more of that with Geocaching as well. See you out there!

              Drew
              Geo Goe
              G A-DayTrippers
            • ed777
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
                Hello, I am ed777. I have been caching since July and have 200ish finds. Some of you
                may know me from the Santa Cruz board which I also joined recently. I live in Felton and
                work in Palo Alto. Thus I cover a lot of ground when caching. I often cache by myself. But
                occasionally cache with my youngest son, little_hiker (who just had his first cache
                published!), or in groups. I love hiking and thus most of my cache hides are off of various
                trails. I have met some great people through geocaching and I look forward to meeting
                more of you in the future.

                - ed777

                --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks" <teambiggeeks@y...> wrote:

                > Hi All -
                > I just directed some Salinas based newer cachers to our group site,
                > Koolrat & Kitten, and thought it might be nice to hear from all our
                > new members. I personally approved a couple of memberships of well-
                > known geocachers, but you aren't well-known to everyone =) Let's
                > hear about you.
                >
                > For anyone who may not know me, I'm Biggeek Ben...the most outspoken
                > member of team BIGGEEKS. I mostly cache with my wife and dogs, but
                > can also be found with any of the geeks listed on our GC.com site.
                > I'm working on my last semester of my BS at CSUMB and then it looks
                > like it's off to Chicago in January...sweet. Anyhow, I don't have
                > too much time to cache right now, but I'm really trying to find some
                > time to bag some finds in SC.
                >
                > I'm currently covered in Poison Oak from a failed attempt at
                > Touchstone's Genesis, but that's just part of the FUN isn't it! =)
                >
                > That's all I got for now,
                >
                > BG Ben

              • David Werblo
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2005
                  Hi,
                  We are Dave and Kathy Werblo. Just got the geo bug
                  this summer. We have only managed to geocache 3 times
                  so far - once here in Prunedale and 2 while in
                  vacation on Kauai. Dave works at Cisco, I am a
                  volunteer guide at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. We love
                  animals. We are working on gradually returning our 6
                  acres to natives. The battle against eucalyptus,
                  acacia, hemlock and pampas grass is daunting, but we
                  are making progress. If anyone is interested in
                  replanting baby oaks I have a couple hundred in my
                  front yard (my acorn experiment worked too well) that
                  could use new homes. Check out our logs:
                  ParadiseFound. Hope to attend CITO on 12/3 and meet
                  some of the group.

                  http://farechase.yahoo.com
                • bud
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 9, 2005
                    FYI, Grindylow (my wife, Jan) is a landscape designer who is very
                    into CA native plants. She loves talking plants. LOL 50sumtin