Re: CCGC log etc.

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
      Hi All,
      Just an update on the CITO coin. After getting the okay from Susie,
      I sent the artwork to the manufacturer
      (http://www.coinsforanything.com/) today with a tentative order of
      300. 225 will be available to purchase in Nickel, and 75 in brass
      will be handed out at a CITO event Dec. 3rd for the cost of 1 or 2
      bags of trash(one coin per team). The return of the natives
      director wants to know if I can hand them out to all participants
      (non-geocachers), but I can't think of a way to make that work.
      Maybe a couple, but it seems like if other geocachers are making
      this possible the freebies should be restricted to geocachers?
      Thoughts?
      BTW I'm a lumper. CCGC for life!
      BGB

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Susie" <susie@s...> wrote:

      > Hi y'all,
      > I just returned from my Houston trip late last night and am busy
      catching up on all my
      > email etc. Wow, y'all have been chatty!
      >
      > I did a little bit of geocaching while visiting family. Seems that
      the Houston area isn't as
      > into signature items as we are, however I did pick up a couple of
      sig-cards. I also visited a
      > number of well-engineered and crafty camos that I may mimic some
      day (consider
      > yourselves warned). And the best news is that I didn't receive any
      snakebites like
      > Chickasaw/Gabrielle did.
      >
      > I thought I'd chime in here on a little bit of history surrounding
      the CCGC title, logo, Yahoo
      > Groups etc.
      >
      > It was back in 2001 that Raygun_88 and I held the first Central
      Coast Area Geocachers
      > event at Natural Bridge SP (see GCAB0 - now archived). Shortly
      thereafter, we came up with
      > the logo and began using it in our caches, on the cache detail
      pages, and our personal
      > websites. We were (and I still am) living in Santa Cruz. The topo
      portion of the logo shows
      > Shake Your Bootie, which was our first hide back in 2001. A few
      other local geocachers
      > joined in and began using the logo (e.g. Iron Chef and Just A
      Short Walk) and a casual
      > close-knit group of friendships began. We all think of the logo as
      representing both Santa
      > Cruz AND Monterey counties, as those were our geographical
      stomping grounds (if you
      > will) at the time. We placed caches north of Santa Cruz up Hwy 1,
      and south of Carmel into
      > the Big Sur regions. Since it was a small group and we all knew
      each other back in those
      > days (before the sport really caught on), the use of, and passing
      around of, the CCGC logo
      > around wasn't really an issue.
      >
      > Fast forward a bit. In April of 2004, a young geocacher by the
      name of RedTroll2 began a
      > Yahoo group called CCGCA using a very pixelated copy of the CCGC
      logo. I wasn't doing
      > much geocaching that year due to a back injury and didn't come
      across the Yahoo group
      > site until February of 2005. After a few emails back and forth, I
      fixed up Redtroll's Yahoo
      > group webpage with a higher-rez logo and some other color changes.
      >
      > During the same period, I noticed this Yahoo group for Santa Cruz
      geocachers which had
      > formed in January of 2005. Even though us "old-timers" know Santa
      Cruz is a main
      > component of the CCGC, the two Yahoo groups seemed to be divided
      by the Santa Cruz/
      > Monterey county line. No biggie. Many (if not most) of us have
      signed up on both of the
      > groups and cross-postings (such as these) occur all the time.
      >
      > I guess what it boils down to is this: are we lumpers or
      splitters? As Beckerbuns notes, do
      > we next make a logo for Capitola? How about Marina?
      >
      > I like Marky's idea of using the Roaring Camp coin if you want a
      Santa Cruz-ish logo.
      > Perhaps someone in Monterey County would like to try their hand at
      a more "southern"
      > logo? For me, I'm going to stick with the all-encompassing CCGC
      logo.

      > But to each his own...
      > -Coralgeo (Susie)

    • Susie Cochran
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
        Just a follow-up on the non-commercial use of the CCGC logo and why
        this one's OK. As Ben explained to me, proceeds from the coins that
        will be for purchase will be used to offset the coins being given
        away and other CITO supplies. In my eyes this qualifies as
        non-commercial geocaching use and I gave Ben permission without even
        running it by Raygun.

        -Susie

        --
        Susie (Coralgeo)
        susie@...

        I want to tell you the ocean knows this, that life in its jewel boxes
        is endless as the sand, impossible to count, pure, and made the
        jellyfish full of light and untied its knot, letting its musical
        threads fall from a horn of plenty made of infinite mother-of-pearl.
        -Pablo Neruda
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2005
          Hola CCGCers,
          Well I've put the deposit down on the CITO coin now...YIKES. So
          it's definitely getting made, I can't afford to lose 135 bones. I'll
          post the official proof, as soon as I get it. Also, I was browsing
          through some other coins and saw this dual metal coin on the
          following page:
          http://coinsforanything.com/sample_coins_page_14.htm
          Look at the Canine unit coin. That would look pretty darn cool on
          our team coin.
          BGB