Re: [CCGC] Digest Number 70

  • Ron Dorsey
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2005
      Using hte GC logo shouldn't be a problem.

      IF I recall correctly - you have to include the words www.Geocaching.com on the coin if you do use it and they want to approve the artwork of the coin (so they don't give out blanket approvals).

      Contact Bryan if you want to discuss the GC logo in more detail with them.

      - Ron (Kealia)

      ccgca@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/60TolB/TM

      There are 2 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: 4-point square coin version
      From: "teambiggeeks"
      2. Re: 4-point square coin version
      From: "touchstone12002"

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:45:38 -0000
      From: "teambiggeeks"
      Subject: Re: 4-point square coin version

      So first off, I had a new logo-shaped version to post, I had added
      the relief to that version and named a bunch of central coast cities
      around the edge, but long story short...I didn't save an hour's
      worth of work correctly, and lost it. Damn
      Secondly I agree with Kealia. I like the logo design better myself
      but will defer to the majority.

      On the topic of legality. Are we allowed to use the geocaching logo
      on our coin? I asked the powers that be about the CITO logo for use
      on a coin and got the following response:

      "Dear Ben,

      Thank you for asking. Unfortunately, the CITO logo is subject to
      copyright by Groundspeak and we do not allow it to be used on goods
      for sale (other than those sold by Groundspeak) or used in
      conjunction with the logo other organizations (for profit or not-for
      profit).
      I am genuinely sorry that I can not give you permission to proceed as
      requested.

      Happy Geocaching!

      Sincerely,

      Bryan Roth
      Groundspeak Inc."

      Nice email, but I'm totally bummed about not being able to use the
      CITO logo. I've got a little side project going on designing a coin
      to give out for free at a CITO event. Don't worry I'll keep you all
      posted. Oh, maybe I can work in our CCGC logo on that. Two CCGC
      coins out there...is the world ready for that?

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Kealia" wrote:
      > My two cents: I like the original shape (logo) the best - but
      that's
      > just me.
      >
      > What I learned on the coin:
      > You can come up with COUNTLESS options! Don't get too caught up
      > trying to get everything on one coin. You'll drive yourself crazy!!
      >
      > All in all, I like them all and will support the group decision.

      Message: 2
      Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:35:12 -0000
      From: "touchstone12002"

      Unless things have changed, I think TPTB have been pretty lenient on
      letting groups use the GC logo (or the CITO logo). I know when the
      Dillon Gang and Bobkatz were putting together the CA coin, it wasn't
      any big deal (I think they had to sign a piece of paper). Perhaps
      since they don't see the discussion on the gc forums they don't think
      it's legit or something. I'm not sure. Maybe if you direct them to
      this thread, and maybe a list of the cachers involved it might soften
      them a little. At any rate, it's no big deal to me if the GC logo is
      there or not.

      If you are putting together a CITO coin I'd be interested in
      participating in that for next years Yosemite CITO Event.

      Another thought: instead of MRY and SCRUZ, you could put Point Pinos
      lighthouse and Santa Cruz Lighthouse. Just a thought.

      - Touchstone

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks"

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Yahoo! for Good