Re: 4-point square coin version

  • Kealia
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
      My two cents: I like the original shape (logo) the best - but that's
      just me.

      What I learned on the coin:
      You can come up with COUNTLESS options! Don't get too caught up
      trying to get everything on one coin. You'll drive yourself crazy!!

      All in all, I like them all and will support the group decision.

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "touchstone12002" <msmelser@m...>
      wrote:
      > I agree; the square one works well. I think I like the canyon w/o
      > the grey lines, although I'm not sure if that works with the
      colors
      > or not (i.e. do they use the rim of the lines to keep the enamel
      > colors seperated?).
      >
      > As far as the CCGC Pirate Edition: I think Bob needs a pirate
      hat, a
      > patch over one eye, a GPS in his right hand (Garmin of course),
      and
      > an ammo box in his left. I'm sure we'll have those coin clubs
      > knocking down the door to get one of those :D
      >
      > - Touchstone
      >

      > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Susie" <susie@s...> wrote:
      > > I couldn't envision only four points (a square, duh), but I
      really
      > like what Ben has done.
      > > Can't decide if I like the blues of the canyon divided with the
      > grey raised lines or without
      > > better -- I could go either way. I have all the DEMs and stuff
      > available, but I think Ben is
      > > doing a great job without me stepping in. I'll just stand back
      and
      > let him be creative!
      > >
      > > I like the relief on the gc.com logo and the fact that by doing
      it
      > that way allows us to
      > > double up on the blue color.
      > >
      > > Since the list of images was beginning to get long, I've created
      > top-level photo album
      > > called CoinCreation and moved all of the coin images (including
      BOB
      > lol) into the new
      > > folder.
      > >
      > > Again, I really like the square shape. It will fit easier into
      > everyone's plastic sleeves in their
      > > collection binders ;-) Now what will the other side with the
      CCGC
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
        Ohhhhhhh! I want one of the BOB coins! LoL! OK, time to pick myself up off the floor.
        Mike, I have you to thank for new bruise on the back of my head from where it hit the
        floor while laughing!

        Back to serious business....

        Color separation: Yes, the colored enamels are separated by the metal of the coin... so
        between any color you will see the metal.... however, the lines can be VERY thin.

        Ben, you are doing a great job! I liked the relief of the canyons...

        Not sure if you would be able to fit the names of ALL the cities represented by the cachers
        in our group... Capitola, Soquel, Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Marina, Salinas, Monterey,
        Carmel... If we ever consolidate groups, we would have to call it GOMBA: Geocachers of
        the Monterey Bay Area.

        I like the square coin, as well as the the original shape, and while we haven't seen the ninja
        star version yet, I think that would be cool too.

        BTW, if anyone is interested in seeing some different coin options, I'm bringing my coin
        collection to the 99 Bottles meeting in Santa Cruz on Oct 2.... so you can see some
        different ideas for coins.. how the colors go together... 3D die effects and color
        separations.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
          So first off, I had a new logo-shaped version to post, I had added
          the relief to that version and named a bunch of central coast cities
          around the edge, but long story short...I didn't save an hour's
          worth of work correctly, and lost it. Damn
          Secondly I agree with Kealia. I like the logo design better myself
          but will defer to the majority.

          On the topic of legality. Are we allowed to use the geocaching logo
          on our coin? I asked the powers that be about the CITO logo for use
          on a coin and got the following response:

          "Dear Ben,

          Thank you for asking. Unfortunately, the CITO logo is subject to
          copyright by Groundspeak and we do not allow it to be used on goods
          for sale (other than those sold by Groundspeak) or used in
          conjunction with the logo other organizations (for profit or not-for
          profit).
          I am genuinely sorry that I can not give you permission to proceed as
          requested.

          Happy Geocaching!

          Sincerely,

          Bryan Roth
          Groundspeak Inc."

          Nice email, but I'm totally bummed about not being able to use the
          CITO logo. I've got a little side project going on designing a coin
          to give out for free at a CITO event. Don't worry I'll keep you all
          posted. Oh, maybe I can work in our CCGC logo on that. Two CCGC
          coins out there...is the world ready for that?

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
            Unless things have changed, I think TPTB have been pretty lenient on
            letting groups use the GC logo (or the CITO logo). I know when the
            Dillon Gang and Bobkatz were putting together the CA coin, it wasn't
            any big deal (I think they had to sign a piece of paper). Perhaps
            since they don't see the discussion on the gc forums they don't think
            it's legit or something. I'm not sure. Maybe if you direct them to
            this thread, and maybe a list of the cachers involved it might soften
            them a little. At any rate, it's no big deal to me if the GC logo is
            there or not.

            If you are putting together a CITO coin I'd be interested in
            participating in that for next years Yosemite CITO Event.

            Another thought: instead of MRY and SCRUZ, you could put Point Pinos
            lighthouse and Santa Cruz Lighthouse. Just a thought.