Re: 4-point square coin version

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26 8:42 PM
      I agree; the square one works well. I think I like the canyon w/o
      the grey lines, although I'm not sure if that works with the colors
      or not (i.e. do they use the rim of the lines to keep the enamel
      colors seperated?).

      As far as the CCGC Pirate Edition: I think Bob needs a pirate hat, a
      patch over one eye, a GPS in his right hand (Garmin of course), and
      an ammo box in his left. I'm sure we'll have those coin clubs
      knocking down the door to get one of those :D

      - Touchstone

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Susie" <susie@s...> wrote:
      > I couldn't envision only four points (a square, duh), but I really
      like what Ben has done.
      > Can't decide if I like the blues of the canyon divided with the
      grey raised lines or without
      > better -- I could go either way. I have all the DEMs and stuff
      available, but I think Ben is
      > doing a great job without me stepping in. I'll just stand back and
      let him be creative!

      > I like the relief on the gc.com logo and the fact that by doing it
      that way allows us to
      > double up on the blue color.
      >
      > Since the list of images was beginning to get long, I've created a
      top-level photo album
      > called CoinCreation and moved all of the coin images (including BOB
      lol) into the new
      > folder.
      >
      > Again, I really like the square shape. It will fit easier into
      everyone's plastic sleeves in their
      > collection binders ;-) Now what will the other side with the CCGC
      logo look like (e.g. what
      > to put into the space of the other three corners)? Send in your
      ideas everyone!
    • Kealia
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26 9:54 PM
        My two cents: I like the original shape (logo) the best - but that's
        just me.

        What I learned on the coin:
        You can come up with COUNTLESS options! Don't get too caught up
        trying to get everything on one coin. You'll drive yourself crazy!!

        All in all, I like them all and will support the group decision.

        --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "touchstone12002" <msmelser@m...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 26 10:14 PM
          Ohhhhhhh! I want one of the BOB coins! LoL! OK, time to pick myself up off the floor.
          Mike, I have you to thank for new bruise on the back of my head from where it hit the
          floor while laughing!

          Back to serious business....

          Color separation: Yes, the colored enamels are separated by the metal of the coin... so
          between any color you will see the metal.... however, the lines can be VERY thin.

          Ben, you are doing a great job! I liked the relief of the canyons...

          Not sure if you would be able to fit the names of ALL the cities represented by the cachers
          in our group... Capitola, Soquel, Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Marina, Salinas, Monterey,
          Carmel... If we ever consolidate groups, we would have to call it GOMBA: Geocachers of
          the Monterey Bay Area.

          I like the square coin, as well as the the original shape, and while we haven't seen the ninja
          star version yet, I think that would be cool too.

          BTW, if anyone is interested in seeing some different coin options, I'm bringing my coin
          collection to the 99 Bottles meeting in Santa Cruz on Oct 2.... so you can see some
          different ideas for coins.. how the colors go together... 3D die effects and color
          separations.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29 5:45 PM
            So first off, I had a new logo-shaped version to post, I had added
            the relief to that version and named a bunch of central coast cities
            around the edge, but long story short...I didn't save an hour's
            worth of work correctly, and lost it. Damn
            Secondly I agree with Kealia. I like the logo design better myself
            but will defer to the majority.

            On the topic of legality. Are we allowed to use the geocaching logo
            on our coin? I asked the powers that be about the CITO logo for use
            on a coin and got the following response:

            "Dear Ben,

            Thank you for asking. Unfortunately, the CITO logo is subject to
            copyright by Groundspeak and we do not allow it to be used on goods
            for sale (other than those sold by Groundspeak) or used in
            conjunction with the logo other organizations (for profit or not-for
            profit).
            I am genuinely sorry that I can not give you permission to proceed as
            requested.

            Happy Geocaching!

            Sincerely,

            Bryan Roth
            Groundspeak Inc."

            Nice email, but I'm totally bummed about not being able to use the
            CITO logo. I've got a little side project going on designing a coin
            to give out for free at a CITO event. Don't worry I'll keep you all
            posted. Oh, maybe I can work in our CCGC logo on that. Two CCGC
            coins out there...is the world ready for that?

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29 6:35 PM
              Unless things have changed, I think TPTB have been pretty lenient on
              letting groups use the GC logo (or the CITO logo). I know when the
              Dillon Gang and Bobkatz were putting together the CA coin, it wasn't
              any big deal (I think they had to sign a piece of paper). Perhaps
              since they don't see the discussion on the gc forums they don't think
              it's legit or something. I'm not sure. Maybe if you direct them to
              this thread, and maybe a list of the cachers involved it might soften
              them a little. At any rate, it's no big deal to me if the GC logo is
              there or not.

              If you are putting together a CITO coin I'd be interested in
              participating in that for next years Yosemite CITO Event.

              Another thought: instead of MRY and SCRUZ, you could put Point Pinos
              lighthouse and Santa Cruz Lighthouse. Just a thought.